Non-motoring > House insurance question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 9

House insurance question - BobbyG
No, don't worry, its not me !!

Without trying to be too specific, would it be the case that if your house suffered a fire as a result of thieves trying to steal cabling from the local substation, that your house insurance would be null and void as it was due to an act of vandalism?
 House insurance question - movilogo
Since when home insurance excludes damage by vandalism?
 House insurance question - Zero
The only exclusions I have on mine are War or Nuclear/Biological events. Vandalism is a criminal act and should be covered.

However

I suspect the insurance company are trying to direct cause and blame to local electrical company for them to pay.
 House insurance question - Roger.

>> I suspect the insurance company are trying to direct cause and blame to local electrical
>> company for them to pay.

Yup!
 House insurance question - BobbyG
I really don't know what the answer is - even in that scenario surely the ins company would pay up and then counter claim?

It was as a result of this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25001504 and there is a justgiving fund been set up to support the family because insurance won't cover it. It is being retweeted and shared on FB etc but I am just very cynical about these things, especially when you ask a question and are told that "I don't know them personally, I am just sharing it".....

And I now see that the justgiving has reached its target
www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbor/family-in-need/108344

House insurance question - rtj70
Seems a very precise figure that - £1272. Why not a target of £1300? I'm sure it's genuine but if you don't know them personally.

To some people I guess £1300 is a very big deal. Whilst to others it pays for one of their holidays.

I am assuming if insurance are not covering this and it's genuine:

- Did they really have proper insurance? Should they pay out and they then pursue the third parties?
- Recoveries from electric company - but it wasn't their fault either
 House insurance question - legacylad
£1300 doesn't pay for a weeks ski holiday for one staying in a top class hotel. Just saying. Cos I've been looking at prices.
 House insurance question - Fullchat
Booked for a week in Austria over Christmas :)
 House insurance question - Alanovich
>> £1300 doesn't pay for a weeks ski holiday for one staying in a top class
>> hotel.

It does in Bosnia, for 4 people. (Plus flights, which aren't expensive, 200 quid or so each - ski passes there are also silly cheap, about 150 euros for 4 people for a week I seem to recall from last winter.) We're booked for half term in February.
 House insurance question - Manatee
We had a thread on a similar thing a while back.

The upshot was that my aunt and uncle did have a new consumer unit and washer, paid for by their insurer.

The electricity distribution company denied liability on the basis that they had taken adequate steps to protect the supply (a couple of padlocks, notwithstanding that other substations in the area had already been robbed).

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=6886&v=f
Latest Forum Posts