Non-motoring > Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 22

Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - FocalPoint
Someone mentioned a while back they had recently been on holiday to this area - I can't find the thread.

We are contemplating our usual February break on Tenerife and have decided to stay in the south this time, rather than in Puerto de la Cruz. We're just gathering info at the moment, but have been looking at hotels in the Costa del Silencio area.

Any info, recommendations or warnings gratefully received.
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - Old Navy
That was me. The Dacia Sandero, and Cabin Filter threads could be the ones you are looking for.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Nov 13 at 20:32
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - Dog
>>Costa del Silencio

Coast of Silence (wind, and aircraft landing)

(*_*)
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - Meldrew
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1079320-d282376-Reviews-Hotel_Los_Gigantes-Acantilado_de_los_Gigantes_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

Nice location, well up the West coast, very hilly town!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 17:55
www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/spain/tenerife/122448/Tenerife-travel-guide.html
My thanks to all who responded.

From your comments, the main potential problem seems to be the wind, though plenty of online reviews seems to ignore it. There seems to be no aircraft movements between 23:30 and 09:00, so we should at least get some sleep. We've decided to go for it, as the only way of finding out if we like it! We've booked a week in February 2014.
>>the main potential problem seems to be the wind,[[ though plenty of online reviews seems to ignore it]]

Probably surfers :)

I check out the wev most days to see what I'm missng and it's been lousy for the last couple of days :(

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

Tener unas buenas vacaciones!
"Tener unas buenas vacaciones!"

Gracias, señor!

(I must remember lisp my esses!)
>>Gracias, señor!

'de nada' :)
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - legacylad
Does anyone know if Tenerife is generally a few degrees warmer than Lanzarote? I'm just back from a few days at Costa Teguise (what a hole) near Arrecife, and it was blowing a gale, apart from the day I flew home! However, I only intended a few days away to use the gym/indoor pool/spa facilities and sit outside & read if the weather was ok, and the food was pretty good. I may return to the same place for a few more days mid Dec, but would consider Tenerife if I can find a hotel with good sports facilities, no kids or football shirted drunks.
The Eastern Isles of Lanzarote & Fuerteventura do suffer more windy days than say Tenerife or Gran Canaria.

But then the Eastern side of Tenerife & G/Canaria are more prone to windy days than say Puerto Rico in GC or Los Cristianos / Las Amercas in Tenerife.

If you could afford to stay in www.bahiadelduque.co.uk/ you would not be disappointed IMO.
Tenerife,or parts of it are 18c to 22c right now www.webtenerife.co.uk/weather.htm?Tipo=M&station=20004 Always cooler in the North
The wevs been a bit Iffy for the last 3 to 4 days Mildew, still warm of course but, the beaches were deserted yesterday afternoon.
I have been visiting Lanz since 76 and have seen some changes, as you can imagine! I have had a Timeshare in Playa Blanca since then and, although there is building everywhere, there is no high rise permitted so while it looks a bit of a mess from the air you can't see the scope of it from ground level! Weather reasonable in January, always windy and sometimes rain but, on average better than UK in January and and a 4.5 hour £150 return flight away! Going to Los Gigantes Tenerife in May for the first time in 20 years so changes there too I guess.
How about the Western side of said Island, Mildew, is there much going on there I wonder?

I remember doing a flying visit to Caleta de la Villa in a Seat Panda many moons ago, which seemed to be a bit 'one horse' if you get my drift :)
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - CGNorwich
You're all on the wrong islands. The nicest and most unspoilt by far are La Palma and La Gomera. La Palma has an airport and is the larger of the two. La Gomera requires a 40 minute ferry journey form Los Cristianos on Tenererife

Both are beautiful with very little mass tourism. If you want a quiet location in a sheltered location, a great hotel with lots of sporting facilities and very few of your fellow countrymen this can't be beat.

www.jardin-tecina.com/en-US/index.aspx
 Tenerife holiday - Costa del Silencio - legacylad
Looks very nice, but I only want to stay a few days as my current work rota allows the occasional Sunday/Thursday trip without eating into my holiday entitlement. Jet2 flights out of LBA are perfect for that. Looking at £94 return in Dec, and the hotel I stayed in, VitalClass at Costa Teguise, will do me a single occupancy suite deal for £55 half board a day, plus 12 euros for the gym/pool/sauna etc. Three full days is enough, time to relax, read, work out and eat well.
Just check the Google imagery - the answer is "Not a Lot"! Development has gone West from Playa Blanca to the lighthouse at the S/W end of the island and started creeping up the West coast but there is limited access (roads could be built) but rough terrain, cliffs and no beaches for many miles.
Reason I ask effendi, is that I prefer to be in a Westerly position in the winter (or sou'west) to catch the sunset across the ocean (I'm a romantic!)

Where we lived in Los Cristianos we could watch the sunset for about 9 months of the year from our terrace - including setting o'er La Gomera.

When we lived in Gorran Haven (South Cornwall) we used to see terrific sun rises in the summer from our lounge but, um, one had to be up rather early to catch 'em.

:}
I sometimes dine in the Timanfaya Palace and have a splendid view of the sunset thru the picture windows. SFAIK the sun onlys set in the true West on the equinox dates March and Sept. If you are there in January it will set in the South South/West See map/link Map is centred on the hotel
goo.gl/maps/h7gLa I shall change my name from Meldrew to Vasco da Gama!
>>I sometimes dine in the Timanfaya Palace and have a splendid view of the sunset thru the picture windows

You sure know how to live!

>> I shall change my name from Meldrew to Vasco da Gama!

How about ... something like .. Perky Penguin ;)
I don't stay there! I slum it in my timeshare and eat there once per holiday!
They're happy now the sun is shining again:

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074
Latest Forum Posts