Non-motoring > yet more decorating Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 11

yet more decorating - borasport
Had a plumber in earlier in the week and he's 're textured' a panel under the stairs with some sort of gunk
It was cruddy brown when it was still damp and is drying paler.Whats best to slap on it before white emulsion?
Swmbo didn't think to ask him, but why would she - she ain't going to be painting it :-)
 yet more decorating - Fullchat
Artex?

Some thinned down emulsion for the first coat to act as a sealer and a thicker coat on top. Artex is like a sponge until it gets some paint on it.
 yet more decorating - madf
I use matt white wood paint to hide things like that - not gloss. Seals of whatever is beneath...Quick drying stuff £4/litre Asda.
 yet more decorating - Dog
www.crowntrade.co.uk/Products/PrimersandPreparation/Pages/PSB%20Stain%20Block%20Primer.aspx
That looks the stuff, dog
However, with christmas coming up and the number of employment rate in our household having risen to 50% this week, i may have to follow fullchats suggestion.
 yet more decorating - Runfer D'Hills
boras-ic ?
no, just being careful, a lesson we learnt the last time either of us was out of work. But this time, she was in a new job, so there isn't even a redundancy payment to fall back on
 yet more decorating - Dog
How's about: tinyurl.com/nkwtxm6 (B&Q)

You could also use a PVA glue and water mix which will seal it.
I think there was some resistance to pva for sealing walls when I asked back in august ;-)
Artex is a lot rougher so even with a thinned coat of PVA there will be plenty of roughness for subsequent coats to adhere to.
 yet more decorating - MJW1994
If you have bare plaster or Artex then I can recommend a paint from Wickes that can go straight on. I have always found diluting emulsion for bare plaster a very messy and frustrating way, whereas this Wickes stuff can go straight on and covers well. One of my other female freinds had her kitchen ceiling re-skimmed and needed it painted. She cuts my hair as that is her profession and never charges me anything so I did it for her, it was so much easier than using diluted emulsion that goes everywhere. I put two coats on and then one top coat, job done. I think it was about £30 for ten litres, so a bit more expensive but no mess and so much less hassle. She paid for the paint but the labour was free, well except for tea and biscuits!
Latest Forum Posts