Non-motoring > The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 30

The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Crankcase
Hope this one makes it ok. There's likely to be some nail biting I guess, whatever the numbers say.

edition.cnn.com/2013/11/21/travel/kansas-cargo-plane-wrong-airport/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 21 Nov 13 at 15:18
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Mapmaker
There's at least one pilot who is no longer employable. Maybe two.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Old Navy
A USAF C17 did a similar landing on a short runway at the wrong airfield in Tampa earlier this year.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Zero
And the famous case of 707s mistaking Northholt for Heathrow. One landed and had to be stripped out to fly off again, and the other was dissuaded from landing by firing a red flare from the control tower.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Nov 13 at 16:37
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - CGNorwich
Some years ago a USAAF jet landed at Norwich instead of Coltishall. The two airfields are directly in line but about 10 miles apart.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - FocalPoint
"...the other was dissuaded from landing by firing a red flare from the control tower."

I thought a plane had to be cleared for landing (or whatever it's called) by the control tower. Or that at least the two were in radio contact.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - bathtub tom
>>I thought a plane had to be cleared for landing (or whatever it's called) by the control tower. Or that at least the two were in radio contact.

They probably were, just they weren't at the airport they were talking to. I hate to think about the radar protocols.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - sherlock47
>> And the famous case of 707s mistaking Northholt for Heathrow. One landed and had to
>> be stripped out to fly off again, and the other was dissuaded from landing by
>> firing a red flare from the control tower.
>>

IIRC that was when they started painting NO on one of the gasholders in line with Northolt. to make sure that pilots knew they had made a mistake:)

I believe that approach to LHR and also Northolt had similar gasholders that were used to visually aid the final approach.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Bromptonaut
>> IIRC that was when they started painting NO on one of the gasholders in line
>> with Northolt. to make sure that pilots knew they had made a mistake:)
>>
>> I believe that approach to LHR and also Northolt had similar gasholders that were used
>> to visually aid the final approach.

That was certainly done. The NO one was in South Harrow and I remember being puzzled by it when first living in the area c 1980. That one has now been demolished but the LH one was still in place along the Great Western main line a few miles out of Paddington last time I travelled to Cardiff.

The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - R.P.
The other gas-holder - was that painted, "I said no" ?
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - henry k
>> The other gas-holder - was that painted, "I said no" ?
>
I like it :-)

Close but "look where You are pointing!"

www.flickr.com/photos/7998260@N08/3426093985
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Focusless
>> A USAF C17 did a similar landing on a short runway at the wrong airfield
>> in Tampa earlier this year.

Presumably it was ok, as it can take off in <430m!
www.boeing.com/boeing/history/mdc/c-17.page

...as mentioned in a Ch 5 documentary last night, where they were comparing 5 'superplanes'. 2 of the C17's competitors were the B2 stealth bomber and Howard Hughes' 'Spruce Goose'. Obviously it was all very scientific :)
Overheard some chatter when we were in California last summer that cut-backs mean that some municipal/civil airfields now do not have ATC
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Fursty Ferret
Drain some fuel out and give the thing some beans and it'll be fine. Pretty sure you can get a 747 in and out of Aberdeen, which is the same length.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Mapmaker
Beans?
Beans - full power
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Manatee
The BBC said on the news that it wasn't certain it could take off, which sounded like poetic licence to me - it must be a fairly standard calculation.

They were very fortunate there was nothing on the runway, given they had no clearance. Then they would have been more than embarrassed.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Crankcase
Live feed. Supposed to have tried to go over an hour ago, but it's still on the runway I think.

www.ksn.com/news/local/live-video-boeing-dreamlifter-stuck-at-jabara
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Manatee
Rolling...
its off
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - No FM2R
With only a reasonable amount of fuel, and no cargo or passengers, I rather suspect that it has quite a lot of power in reserve.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Fullchat
The news feed is painfull!!!

Didn't appear to struggle with the take off.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Runfer D'Hills
I wonder if the pilot bought a map while he was in the airport...
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Cliff Pope
Didn't a plane land on a motorway once? Or am I imagining that?
Loads of instances (and youtube vids) of light planes landing on Freeways in the States. Don't think there has been an airliner landing on one tho.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Armel Coussine
Weather could make flights alarming a few decades ago. Took an Egypt Air Boeing 707 from Cairo to Lagos via Kano in 1973. I never liked the 707 despite its impressive commercial and air-miles record. Always seemed too spindly and floppy to me.

For an hour or two out of Cairo the vast Sahara rolled by, so seldom monotonous... but then the ground vanished under an impenetrable, horizon-to-horizon cloud of dust blown by the Harmattan wind. After a while it was announced that the flight wouldn't land at Kano owing to weather conditions. This pleased the passengers, apart from those due to disembark at Kano. A few months earlier a charter flight full of returning Hajjis had missed the runway altogether at Kano, where cattle and goats wandered freely, and gone up in a fireball in front of their appalled relatives. Eventually the aircraft descended into this stuff, going rather slowly, and again eventually emerged from the bottom of it about 300 feet above a sort of tropical landscape, scrub and forest with the odd corrugated iron roof. The aircraft flew slower and slower, almost a stall it felt like, turning from time to time now this way, now that. 'What are they doing? Burning off fuel?' I asked the Swede in the next seat, who had told me he had a pilot's licence.
The Swede chortled: 'No, they are looking for the airport.'
'But surely, er, national airport, rich country, lock onto radar beam, almost lands itself?'
The Swede was in fits of laughter. I'm sure Lagos and even Kano are much improved nowadays.
aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19730122-0

Was that the one AC ?
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - Armel Coussine
That was the one, 176 fatalities. I had forgotten there were 25 or so survivors. I had also forgotten the pause before the aircraft caught fire.

The nosewheel became 'entrenched' because it wasn't on the runway. Large aircraft can land on packed earth but they have to land in the right attitude.
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - zookeeper
>> Loads of instances (and youtube vids) of light planes landing on Freeways in the States.
>> Don't think there has been an airliner landing on one tho.
>>

i think Kegworth tragedy was pretty close
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - borasport
A light plane heading for 'Manchester City airport' aka Barton Aerodrome crashed on to a Citroen 2CV on the M62 a decade or few ago......
 The Dreamlifter at the wrong airport - henry k
ATC conversation to work out where they landed. Unreal!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P6LV-DKMrc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2P6LV-DKMrc&app=desktop
Latest Forum Posts