Non-motoring > Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 42

Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/km3eoc5

Denis MacShane to be sentenced 19th December for £13K fraud -

Will it be turkey or porridge for Xmas?

Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Dutchie
Can't understand him 13k not worth the hassle losing your career and most likely your freedom.

I have seen him on discussions intelligent bloke.They have all being at it and most still problaby are fiddling the system.He just got found out.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Dog
"the long-standing principle of parliamentary privilege meant detectives were not given access to damning correspondence with the standards commissioner in which MacShane described how signatures on receipts from the European Policy Institute (EPI) had been faked"

Blimmin crooks, and they're stealing our money!
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Old Navy
>> Blimmin crooks, and they're stealing our money!
>>

The only things crooks and thieves consider unacceptable is getting caught.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Robin O'Reliant

>> I have seen him on discussions intelligent bloke.They have all being at it and most
>> still problaby are fiddling the system.He just got found out.
>>

Chris Huhne was interviewed on R2 and he also comes across as intelligent, which in general he certainly is. But everyone has a blind spot where common sense goes out the window - normally it involves either money or sex.
>>normally it involves either money or sex.

Money - any or all parties

Sexual - Lab & Con normally hetero, LibDem normally homo
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - MD
13K. What a Fool.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Meldrew
Suspended sentence, community service and something in the New Year's Honours list?
>> Suspended sentence, community service and something in the New Year's Honours list?
>>

Jail.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Bromptonaut

>> Sexual - Lab & Con normally hetero, LibDem normally homo

The two LD's that spring to mind are Paddy Pantsdown and Huhne - both with women albeit Huhne's partner swung both ways. Maybe different in Scotland's LibDem strongholds.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Meldrew
It is reported, by Private Eye, that Scots Lib Dems don't know whether they are coming or going.
Jeremy Thorpe, Cyril Smith to name 2 x Liberals
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Roger.
Ted Heath, to name one so-called "Conservative"
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Armel Coussine
>> Ted Heath, to name one so-called "Conservative"

No breath of actual scandal ever touched the Grocer Roger. Private Eye said he used to take his morning crap on Morning Cloud leaving the khazi door open and talking to people. Otherwise, nothing. He seemed asexual. No one ever complained they had to bite the pillow with him, as they did with the crazed homosexual rapist (according to his not too credible sort of rent boy figure) Jeremy Thorpe.

He was a neighbour of a friend of mine on the Bayswater Road. An Arab embassy gave a firework display there just after the Thorpe scandal, and I saw this unmistakable well-tailored, blue-chinned figure, a noticeable space around him. A bit sad I thought.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Lygonos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Milligan

I'll let you decide which field that falls into.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 19 Nov 13 at 00:11
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - No FM2R
I rather liked Ted Heath. I was at a dinner once when he was a guest at my table and I was cautioned by an assistant that he was likely to fall asleep and didn't like to be bothered with conversation after desert.

Rather accurately as it turned out.
>> I rather liked Ted Heath.

I wasn't so keen FMR. Knew two people who had met or knew him though. One, a radical Irishwoman married to a Tory parliamentary candidate, thought Heath detestable. The other, a French playboy of grand family who was at my last school, told me a few years ago that he had often been a crew member on Morning Cloud. He didn't say anything about the Grocer being queer or crapping in public and seemed to like him.
>> Jeremy Thorpe, Cyril Smith to name 2 x Liberals
>

Thorpe was gay or at least bi. Smith, it appears was a peadophile or similar - his reported proclivities are not 'normal' gay conduct.

However there was a deal of speculation about Simon Hughes who subsequently also stated that he had swung both ways in the past.
There are a lot of stories about Heath doing the rounds, whether true or just malicious rumour is anybody's guess.
>> There are a lot of stories about Heath doing the rounds, whether true or just
>> malicious rumour is anybody's guess.

I suspect that if it could be proven it would have come out in the current paedo wash cycle if not earlier. He's no longer around to sue.

Somebody at work yesterday mentioned what was probably a Private Eye cover featuring Heath. Showed him dancing with a woman in a sixties fashion evening gown. Caption was 'I just love those Tory balls'.

A suggestion that he 'batted from the other end' was dismissed in favour of one that he'd no interest in batting at all - from either end.

There was a recollection that nearest he ever came to a relationship was with Moira Lympany but he'd neither the idea nor the will to progress it.

Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Alanovich
As always, he who is different is to be either feared, abused or ridiculed, usually all three. Bunch of chimps we are. If that isn't being too hard on chimps.
Baboons, Alanović, baboons. Chimps are relatively gentle and intelligent creatures.

Not calling anyone a baboon, but why is it than quite often when I say something, no one seems to notice, then others start to say the same thing bit by bit a couple of days later? Honestly its enough to make a chap bare his fangs and display his highly-coloured posterior...
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - No FM2R
I don't think you mean chimps Al, they're usually gentle creatures and quite intelligent.

Perhaps you mean Baboons?
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Alanovich
Yes, NF, quite right. Baboons it is. Odd that no-one pointed that out earlier.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - CGNorwich
Chimpanzees are actually rather aggressive creatures and have been observed to indulge in murderous raids on other bands of chimpanzees in something resembling warfare. Their smaller relatives the Bonobo however are much less aggressive.

Bonobos are even more obsessed with sex than humans .

as Wikipedia says "Bonobos are popularly known for their high levels of sexual behavior. Sex functions in conflict appeasement, affection, social status, excitement, and stress reduction. It occurs in virtually all partner combinations and in a variety of positions"
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 20:14
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - J Bonington Jagworth
"quite often when I say something, no one seems to notice"

I have the same trouble at bars, AC. Perhaps I don't wave banknotes of a high enough denomination...

WRT Heath, I wonder if he had mumps as a child, like PG Wodehouse? Google it if you're not familiar, or read this rather splendid piece by Christopher Hitchens, which mentions the subject about 11 paragraphs down:

www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/11/the-honorable-schoolboy/303563/
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - R.P.
Hey welcome back JBJ !
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - J Bonington Jagworth
Thank you, RP! I didn't mean to stay away, but I am easily distracted...
Nice of you to notice.
>> mumps as a child,

Actually JBJ, point of order, mumps as a child is OK. It's mumps after adolescence that can cause the painful, worrying and potentially damaging condition orchitis.

Oddly enough malaria medicine is a specific against orchitis. Not a lot of people know that.
>>
>> I suspect that if it could be proven it would have come out in the
>> current paedo wash cycle if not earlier. He's no longer around to sue.
>>
>>
>>
A valid point, but there have been stories about government ministers from all parties being involved in a paedophile ring involving children in care homes. The establishment are no strangers to covering up scandals that that get too close for comfort and have the means to do so. The then Prime Minister Harold Wilson was fully aware that Lord Boothby was having a (Then illegal) homosexual relationship with gangster Ronnie Kray when Boothby won substantial damages from the Sunday Mirror for printing the story. The Commissioner for the Met and the Attorney General also knew that Boothby was committing perjury and did nothing about it.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 16:23
>> The then Prime Minister Harold Wilson was fully aware that Lord Boothby
>> was having a (Then illegal) homosexual relationship with gangster Ronnie Kray when Boothby won substantial
>> damages from the Sunday Mirror for printing the story. The Commissioner for the Met and
>> the Attorney General also knew that Boothby was committing perjury and did nothing about it.

The same Boothby who had cuckolded MacMillan?

All a long time ago though and been in public domain for years.

I do believe that somebody can be asexual. Whether something didn't fire up at puberty or whether the response to the practicalities of he sexual act was 'Euch!' I don't know. Have met a few such individuals over my lifetime.
>>
>> All a long time ago though and been in public domain for years.
>>
>>
The affair was common knowledge for years but the extent of the cover up only came out after those involved were dead.
Elm Guest House "scandal" - fact or fiction?
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - madf
>> Elm Guest House "scandal" - fact or fiction?
>>

As the only "witness" admitted to lying,,, I suggest fiction...
Will it be turkey or porridge for Xmas?

Its PORRIDGE - 6 months - which probably means he will be out in under 2 months!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25492017
if you want the detail
A sentence of just 6 months is just too short.
He will emerge smirking and like Hoon & Pryce is likely to fall into a good job.
It's enough to make one's urine reach 100 C.
The Judge's sentencing remarks are here:

www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/r-v-macshane-sentence-remarks.pdf

(less than 100kb on a gov website)
Goodness... in my corporate days I did that absolutely routinely, waiting until I had incurred enough expenses to make a claim and simply claiming whatever sum it was for entertaining advertising men and market research subcontractors. I didn't realise I had been consistently and deliberately dishonest, but I suppose I had.

Of course my fictions, like the sums themselves, were peanuts compared to those of the big sharks in advertising and marketing, with their company Zodiacs and snooty secretaries. I envied them a bit for those things, but not for being awful, stupid, dishonest and boring as many were.
>> A sentence of just 6 months is just too short.
>> He will emerge smirking and like Hoon & Pryce is likely to fall into a
>> good job.
>> It's enough to make one's urine reach 100 C.
>>
>>
Having once spent five hours in a police cell and a further two being grilled by a couple of CID and not knowing if I'd see home for the foreseeable future, believe me, for someone not from the fraternity where that sort of thing is an accepted regular occurrence being banged up for six months with the type of people you would definitely not want to live next door to is a daunting prospect.
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - Zero
>> A sentence of just 6 months is just too short.

Given that a mugger can get community service, of course six months is not too short. Despite the fact he acted in a calculating manner and fraudulently made up invoices, its not a major crime. No-one got hurt.

6 months is just about right.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 17:42
McShane and the other fraudsters....do they lose their Pension?

If not, why not?
 Ex-MP/Gov Minister pleads guilty to expense fiddle - FocalPoint
"He will emerge smirking and like Hoon & Pryce is likely to fall into a good job."

Funny you should mention Vicky Pryce... Apparently she is MacShane's new partner. They should be well matched.

He did a bit of smirking even before starting his sentence, it seems. ("The handsome one" is how he referred to himself during the sentencing session.)
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Tue 24 Dec 13 at 16:59
Having seen La Pryce at close quarters (BBCQT, Boston) I can confirm that her pictures do her justice!
Latest Forum Posts