Non-motoring > anyone know Edinburgh area well? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Buddy Replies: 10

anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Buddy
We are thinking of 2-3 day break in the capital, maybe taking in Tattoo in Aug or going Sept. We live in Surrey and maybe would drive up there, staying just outside the city and take public transport into centre. So looking for reasonably priced, possibly scenic B&B. Any recommendations appreciated.

thanks
Bud
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Redviper
I would throughly recommend this B&B although it maybe outside your price range i wanted something a bit special for my Girlfriends Birthday

tinyurl.com/39ypp23

There is a Bus Stop right outside the hotel To and From the City Centre for around a £3 All day ticket and the buses run right into late night (5 Min Journey)

Read my Review on the site as well :-) simaler user name to this forum

Ste
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 7 Jun 10 at 12:53
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - TJ
Best get accommodation sorted soon as August is Festival, Fringe & Tattoo time so prices + availability might not mean you get what you want, where you want. If tight in town look at somewhere like South Queensferry - couple of B+Bs in the village, bus takes about 30mins to the West End, train is 15mins to Waverly. Oh, & scenic as well. Lived here for 30+ years so reasonably happy!
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Mapmaker
A fair distance to drive. You could take the sleeper - £50 each, each way, if booked far enough in advance.
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Iffy
...i wanted something a bit special for my Girlfriends Birthday...there is a bus stop outside...

"Hold on pet, the number 32 will be along in a minute."

I bet wor lass was well-impressed with that. :)

anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Redviper

>>
>> I bet wor lass was well-impressed with that. :)
>>
>>
Last of the romantics am I, even I'm impressed that I took her somewhere outside north Yorkshire ;-)
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - ....
St Margaret's girl school at Cameron Toll is now a Travelodge. About £57 a night in August. Easy access to the city centre with the many buses that pass along Craigmillar Park.
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Bellboy
theres a million places outside edingburger
suggest if only 2 days to spare you go on chuff chuff
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - smokie
Been up for the Fringe a couple of times in recent years and stayed central, and even the cheapest hotels are expensive!

We rented a flat for daughters one year - think it was around £500 for five days, was nicely equipped and very central. Found it through a Fringe bulletin board - could be worth a look there.
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Buddy
many thanks, All - interesting stuff .... and I take the point about the limited romance involved in waiting for a bus
Bud
 anyone know Edinburgh area well? - Brentus
It will be a long drive Buddy, but enjoyable on the east coast route the higher you get up the A1. Stunning scenery. You can cut across and go through the borders still a good ride.
I have stayed all over Edinburgh in many places. I would say try just outside, like Portabello its south of the city and only a few minutes to drive in or get a bus. It will be hectic in August with the festival but really enjoyable the place is alive. Take my advice and go for lunch or dinner at Valvona & crona italian deli with cafe and restraunt you wont be dissapointed. Good luck.
Latest Forum Posts