Non-motoring > terrified pets, fireworks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 50

terrified pets, fireworks - -
Our hound is trembling so hard here wouldn't be surprised in the least if she had a heart attack, poor little blighter's trying to crawl inside our skin for protection.

Don't recall her being so bad last year, no organised display within earshot (well my earshot) its only the odd one going off, wonder if the smell (i can't but no doubt she can) is upsetting her too.

terrified pets, fireworks - Zero
As they get older, they become more scared of fireworks. Fifi ended up terrified, and I used to cover her with a blanket.

Now of course she is going deaf, its no problem!
 terrified pets, fireworks - R.P.
Alf the Spaniel is fine - he actually seems to watch them. The verdict is still out on the Springer....he's been up to no good today though. I used to reckon the smell was enough...
 terrified pets, fireworks - Armel Coussine
We used to get a wonderful view of the municipal fireworks in Shepherd's Bush out of our back window in the Grove. Down here at the back of beyond there's nothing like that.

A serious question Zero: do gun dogs used to repeated bangs get scared by fireworks?
I used to take Fifi on the gun line quite a bit. A naturally timid and scared dog, she became alert, brave and keen, not in the least put off by the guns. A different dog. A dog for the job.

The same year she would be terrified of Fireworks.

>> The same year she would be terrified of Fireworks.

Must be the weird articulated lights in the sky... but from what atavistic origin? Volcanoes perhaps. They're quite frightening. But when they were literally everywhere, dogs hadn't evolved yet. Memory seems to pass from species to species during evolution.

Fundamental stuff I think.
 terrified pets, fireworks - Runfer D'Hills
Ours doesn't like it. He's not shaking or anything but he won't go outside and won't stray from my feet. He's under my desk now.

He's used to guns, we back onto a country estate where there is often shooting and that never seems to bother him. Indeed he was born on a farm where they shot and was used to that sound from the start.

We've given him a herbal calming tablet. It seems to help.
 terrified pets, fireworks - Ted

Been trying to trap a cat in order to tie a rip-rap to it's tail.......no luck yet !

Ah, happy days !

Ted
 terrified pets, fireworks - Slidingpillar
The family dog when I was a nipper (back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) was not just scared of bangs, he was petrified in block capitals. Even used to start shaking if he saw a balloon.
 terrified pets, fireworks - bathtub tom
I had a Springer that wasn't bothered by them. A friend took her out and let loose a 12 bore with her sitting next to him. She looked up at the sky as if seeking a falling bird was his description (she came from working stock).

In her dotage an airship flew overhead - she'd bark at it!
Only just now managed to persuade our dog to go out for a pee. I had to go with him, well, not literally but I had to wait outside with him if you see what...Oh never mind !

I know....the Cocker refuses to go for a pee in the rain, however, clip the lead on and battle through the raging torrents of rain...he'll pee all night....they have us sussed.
I haven't even got the pleasure of a fly fag these days while I'm waiting ! Had to butter an oatcake instead and apply strong cheddar. Not the same at all ( and they taste disgusting when you light them )
 terrified pets, fireworks - legacylad
Not heard a single firework tonight. Or last night either, but it has lashed down, with strong gusts, since mid afternoon. The ginger Lakeland is fast asleep. Unless you whisper the letters B A L L or W A L K when in an instant he becomes alert.
 terrified pets, fireworks - Crankcase
We go to a particular organised display each year. Last night we were a bit surprised to be standing next to a family who had brought their little dog on a lead. One of those little white Westie things. But he didn't turn a hair through the whole thing, and it is a very lively loud and long display.

Just along was a family with a very tiny baby though and that was a mistake for all concerned as it was screeching from beginning to end. Poor little mite was terrified by the sound of it, which Mum seemed to find hilarious. Parents eh? Or maybe I just don't know anything about babies and it was screaming in delight.

terrified pets, fireworks - Cliff Pope
>> Not heard a single firework tonight. Or last night either,

Not yet 5th November, perhaps?
 terrified pets, fireworks - Slidingpillar
I know....the Cocker refuses to go for a pee in the rain, however, clip the lead on and battle through the raging torrents of rain...he'll pee all night....they have us sussed.

Charmed I'm sure! I have this mental image of RP walking a continuously peeing dog in the rain, yawning, falling asleep and wearing wellies.
Ah, but I missed out the oft misused word "literally" !
 terrified pets, fireworks - Dave
All of my working spaniels lived outside in England, and never batted an eye with fireworks or thunder. Here in Sweden fireworks are only allowed on New years Eve, unless you apply to the police for a licence.

On moving here, I decided one of the cockers would live in the house full time. But as the years have gone by he has become more and more concerned with thunder (especially), and fireworks. My conclusion is they get their fear/phobia from us. Try as hard as we can, there is always some sort of human reaction to the bangs and flashes, and I think they pick up on this, which drives their fear and uncertainty. In return they get a further reaction from us, no matter how hard we try to avoid it.

Last edited by: Dave on Sun 3 Nov 13 at 15:10
 terrified pets, fireworks - Manatee
>> My conclusion is they get their fear/phobia from us.

That's very believable. A human, even one who's unfazed by fireworks or thunder and lightning, might be concerned for the dog's reaction and communicate that.

Dogs are extraordinarily sensitive to human attitudes which probably explains why I find them so difficult to get on with.
>> >> My conclusion is they get their fear/phobia from us.

There is some of that perhaps in some dogs, but I know a dog who in later years became scared of thunderstorms, even before its owners knew they were on the way (changes in ozone I guess)

Its quite often just a simple case of old dogs become more fearful. Its the same in humans.
More fireworks going off round here again right now. Dog not happy, not too bad but definitely not entirely relaxed.
 terrified pets, fireworks - BiggerBadderDave
"Its quite often just a simple case of old dogs become more fearful. Its the same in humans."

L'Escargot must be absolutely petrified.
 terrified pets, fireworks - BobbyG
Our lab was fine with fireworks for his first couple of years but into his third year he changed and was petrified at New Year with them.

He is now petrified, hides under the desk most of the time at night, try and get him all his walks before it gets dark to let him settle. Such a shame seeing his back legs shaking away with his backside and tail almost on the ground , trembling away.
 terrified pets, fireworks - -
Same here Bobby, Stinky is now 3, i don't recall her being anywhere near like this last year.

Spayed last year though, and without a doubt that changed her behaviour so might have a bearing, she was bonkers before but completely gaga now.

The evening after the spaying we were the world's most guilty people, the poor little blighter just lay curled up on the sofa with SWMBO and cried and wimpered all night, sort of made three of us.
 terrified pets, fireworks - Boxsterboy
When I were a lad we had a Cairn Terrier. Lovely dog but she was afraid of load bangs, firewrks and thunder. And then by association rain! Now that really was annoying, and tough for both her and us.
>> petrified, hides under the desk ... his back legs shaking away with his backside and tail almost on the ground

Maybe it's something to do with the proximity to your feet? Not sure I wouldn't shudder a bit myself...

;-)
>>Maybe it's something to do with the proximity to your feet? Not sure I wouldn't shudder a bit myself...

The desk is where my son sits and allegedly does his homework and studies.....

You're right though Humph, will soon be time for Christmas sales and a new pair of shoes.....
"Our lab was fine with fireworks for his first couple of years but into his third year he changed and was petrified"

Your dog needs serious therapy Bobby, what with the fireworks and the house that keeps burning down.
>>Your dog needs serious therapy Bobby, what with the fireworks and the house that keeps burning down.

House fire (our only one) was 5 years ago and dog is 3 years old but don't let me ruin a good story...... :)
 terrified pets, fireworks - Westpig
My firework night was fairly eventful....although luckily there were no injuries.

My brother and I set up about £200 worth of internet sourced fireworks at the bottom of my garden... and we had about 40 people down there watching inc a load of kids.

One of the sets we'd just lit, fell over on the soft grass...and...aimed itself right at the crowd of people watching some 60- 70 feet away. Off it went like a missile, skimming off the head of my mate's 20 year old daughter (singeing her bobble hat) and it ended up exploding in the open doored shed where I park my garden tractor..and fuel, etc.

My brother realised quite quickly what had happened and 'up ended' the firework box with his foot..as it was still letting the things off...but obviously without a great deal of dexterity...so as he was doing this and the box moved somewhat..and...a firework came out and hit me in the nads, stood some 10 feet away.

It felt like someone had kicked me...hard.

Just as well no one was videoing it, you'd all be chuckling at the You Tube clip.

Maybe next year we'll go to an organised one.
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 19:43
Is this the lawn tractor which.....???
>> Is this the lawn tractor which.....???

Ok, next year we want a real belly laugh and we want the rocket propelled tractor into the stream please.

Edit, now you are retired you ever thought of getting a job as a H&S expert?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 19:53
>> Edit, now you are retired you ever thought of getting a job as a H&S
>> expert?
>>
What, along the lines of 'how not to do it'?

City boy trying to act all rural, that's the problem. I'm not used to it.
>> hit me in the nads, stood some 10 feet away.

>> It felt like someone had kicked me...hard.

A sentimental reminder of what it was like in the job Wp?

:o}
 terrified pets, fireworks - diddy1234
During the fireworks night, My African Grey just sat and watched from the window occasionally saying "oh wow".

silly thing
Probably not a good time to give advice, but I helped to fire £1150 worth on Saturday night. As it was a public display, albeit non-professional, there are a few hoops to jump through anyway, like having a risk assessment to show you've thought about it, insurance, applying for a temporary event notice, and getting insurance. We also booked the St John Ambulance.

I'm not suggesting you do that for a home display, but the set up is worth doing properly. The fireworks were all fastened with parcel tape or cable ties to wooden stakes knocked into the ground. We also put all the multi-shot cakes on boards - if they aren't on something solid a recoil can pull the fusing out and it won't all go off. We bag them all in plastic too, in case it rains, as we have to stake them out in advance so we can fire them without a break. We just fire them through the plastic.

We were close to cancelling because of the wind, but didn't in the end. We didn't light the bonfire though. Nor did we let the rockets off - we tested one in the afternoon, but they just can't get the height in a strong wind and they can be dangerous. It ran for about 15 minutes. Good fun.

I also did fireworks for my daughter's wedding a couple of weeks ago. £200+ in 3 minutes, using 3 biggish single ignition pieces and a rocket, also properly staked. The biggest one, one of these -

www.newsboxfireworks.co.uk/shopCollection/fireworks_product_info.php?products_id=856

didn't all go off despite being staked and sitting on a solid board. The remains, having spent a night in a wheelbarrow full of water, are awaiting burial in the garden. I had to bring it home from the venue, I daren't put it in the rubbish.

The final piece rescued the wedding display - one of these - quite spectacular.

www.newsboxfireworks.co.uk/shopCollection/fireworks_product_info.php?products_id=462

Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 20:50
I am amazed that people spend fortunes to set fire to things to get a brief thrill for a few seconds!!!

Fair enough go along to the local Council display (still a waste of Council money) but to fork out hundreds of pounds for own display????
at least we don't set fire to our houses.
neither do I
>> I am amazed that people spend fortunes to set fire to things to get a
>> brief thrill for a few seconds!!!
>>
>> Fair enough go along to the local Council display (still a waste of Council money)
>> but to fork out hundreds of pounds for own display????

The public one we charge for. We (a village society) underwrite it and the surplus goes to the village hall funds. It's quite risky financially, we could have a loss on a washout, but in its current incarnation it's come out ahead for the last 6 or 7 years. We are cheaper than the nearby town display, especially for children, and people say we are as good. We do food and mulled wine to help generate enough income. This year's was a bit tight, but we should still be in profit, just. We took about £1000 gate money.

My daughter's wedding was, I hope, a one off!
 terrified pets, fireworks - Bromptonaut
>> The public one we charge for. We (a village society) underwrite it and the surplus
>> goes to the village hall funds. It's quite risky financially, we could have a loss
>> on a washout, but in its current incarnation it's come out ahead for the last
>> 6 or 7 years. We are cheaper than the nearby town display, especially for children,
>> and people say we are as good. We do food and mulled wine to help
>> generate enough income. This year's was a bit tight, but we should still be in
>> profit, just. We took about £1000 gate money.

The football club here do something similar. Couple of quid to get in plus more for drinks and hot dogs etc. Usually get 5-600 people so presumably profitable for them.

OTOH I can stand in garden and see most of display FoC. This year though the prospect of drinks in London with old colleagues/friends was a greater draw.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 21:46
"singeing her bobble hat"

Is that police talk for a front bottom?
 terrified pets, fireworks - Mapmaker
Imagine if it had hit your mate's daughter in the eye and blinded her.

I hate fireworks. They terrify me.

(Yes, they're really pretty, and I enjoy the bangs as much as anybody else. But the prospect of doing a serious injury to somebody...)
>> Imagine if it had hit your mate's daughter in the eye and blinded her.
>>
>> I hate fireworks. They terrify me.

They scare me too which is why I thought it worth describing the precautions. Plonked on the ground, or just pushed into the earth an inch or two, is not good. WP has seen the results of one tipping over.

When I first got involved, it was a bit more casual. At my first one, somebody went round and picked up the spent fireworks and chucked them on the fire! One of course went off and narrowly missed a helper. Now we douse them in water.

Rockets in particular can surprise. A high wind will catch the stick, causing the rocket to travel more or less horizontally into the wind. Apart from ending up where it shouldn't, not getting high enough means it can also still be working when it hits the ground.

Shells are safer in that respect at least, handled properly, but we aren't allowed to use them any more. They come out of a mortar tube, using a lift charge, which is lethal if anybody is in the way (it has happened) -

www.thefreelibrary.com/HEAD+IS+KILLED+BY+MORTAR+FIREWORK.-a061163468

I seem to recall reading at the time that that was a very large shell - we used mainly 3" ones, occasionally 4". We would light them at arms length, facing away as we did so, and turning our backs as the fuse burnt, which was virtually instant. The idea was to be facing away by the time it emerged from the tube, in case it exploded low which they did occasionally.

edited following request from author
Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 8 Nov 13 at 14:09
>> Imagine if it had hit your mate's daughter in the eye and blinded her.

Yes, I know, not a good thought is it.

Strange thing is, I'm normally Captain Sensible...just goes to show what you can get up to with little or know knowledge.

I've never really done fireworks myself, living most of my life so far in North London, it would be Alexandra Palace, until I got old enough when I couldn't be bothered.

Kids has re-kindled the need.
 terrified pets, fireworks - Mapmaker
>>Kids has re-kindled the need.

I remember as a small child being told to stay away from the fireworks that my father was lighting at the bottom of the garden as it was very dangerous. I made the point that if it was so dangerous why did my father put himself through the danger. We went to the municipal fireworks the following year...

But I once went to a professional show - at a very large Scout camp - where the huge rockets were coming back down amongst the tents... That display was soon stopped.

Hateful things.
As a kid we used to buy fireworks, and use them as explosives to stun fish, blow up wasp and ants nests, stuff them in old dumped cars, even hand hold them and fire fiery balls at each other in some OK Coral gunfight.
Indeed. If you can't improvise some sort of cannon with fireworks you are being too closely supervised.

When older and in the CCF it was sometimes possible to steal army thunderflashes. They were really good, blow up a phone box or send an inverted dustbin 20 feet in the air.
 terrified pets, fireworks - VxFan
>> As a kid we used to buy fireworks,

As a kid, we used to 'borrow' the crow scarers from the farm. The gave a much bigger bang than a poxy firework did. They were also a great amusement for trick or treating too.

Wasn't me officer.
Neighbour had a belated firework display last night. Took both dogs out on leads. The seven year old Cocker, ears pricked, waggy tail....happy boy, the two year old Springer ran home to mummy tail between his legs....the Cocker actually wanted more...! Strange things dogs.
Latest Forum Posts