Non-motoring > New York Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 9

New York - Badwolf
Hello all,

Next May I will be fulfilling my lifelong ambition to visit New York. We are going for five nights and whilst we will, of course, be visiting the usual attractions and tourist traps I would very much like to see the less touristy side of the Big Apple. I'm especially keen to eat breakfast in a typical, non-chain diner. Can anybody recommend a good 'off the beaten track' guidebooks please?

Ta :-)
 New York - Fullchat
Have a look at 'Big Apple Greeters'.

We did NY a couple of years ago in the run up to Christmas. Snowed heavily overnight. Our guide took us down to the TT site and then along the river and then to China Town. We left it to him but could have dictated what we wanted. He was an old New Yorker and gave us a fascinating insight into the city.
He met us at the Waldorf and spent a good half a day. It was a 'free' service but cost us some coffees an lunch but certainly did not begrudge it. It was fascinating but very cold.
 New York - BiggerBadderDave
Carnegie Deli.

Fantastic.
 New York - R.P.
I have a friend who lives there....I could ask her for you.
 New York - Runfer D'Hills
gothamist.com/2013/02/27/the_best_diners_in_new_york_city.php

newyork.cbslocal.com/top-lists/the-8-best-diners-in-new-york-city/
 New York - Armel Coussine
Both my genuine New York friends, both Jews, are dead. They knew where to eat all right. But the places were less poncy than the ones listed. One of them when living in London discovered a place in Marylebone High St. even, that had hot pastrami sandwiches, yum yum... but it closed decades ago. Too ethnic for the neighbourhood I think.

There's no shortage of places really. Or there wasn't 40 years ago when I was briefly in New York. The US is great for food on the hoof. Makes you put on weight though.

Not diners exactly, but good places along the same lines, are still to be found in London. Great salt beef sandwiches are obtainable in the East End and in St. John's Wood High Street.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 2 Nov 13 at 20:18
 New York - Roger.
If in Cardiff - great sarnies here - the Reuben is scrumptious!

gourmetgorro.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/new-york-deli-cardiff-review-food-blog.html
 New York - Dulwich Estate
I second the recommendation to "Have a look at 'Big Apple Greeters'."

Also, take the subway east in the direction of Brooklyn and walk back to Manhattan along the bridge for a long slow look at the skyline.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Sun 3 Nov 13 at 00:35
 New York - henry k
>> There's no shortage of places really. Or there wasn't 40 years ago when I was briefly in New York.
>>
Back in those days we did our research for eating places in New York.
So we went to a specific eatery and joined a very short "standby" queue.
The location was rather exclusive, the view was very impressive, food was good but not expensive plus the company was varied.
The place ? The delegates dining room at the UN.
I wonder what the option is today
 New York - Badwolf
>> I have a friend who lives there....I could ask her for you.

That would be great, thanks. We're staying in a hotel on Times Square if that makes a difference.
Latest Forum Posts