Non-motoring > PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 28

PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Zero

The world is facing a wine shortage, with global consumer demand already significantly outstripping supply, a report has warned.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-24746539
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - RattleandSmoke
As longs as we still have beer :).
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - No FM2R
Whats the average age of wine that we drink? (By age I mean vine to bottle to shelf).

I've no idea, but lets say its 4 yrs. Seems like quite a reasonable length of time to increase production to me.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - R.P.
It's Humph's fault.
>> Whats the average age of wine that we drink? (By age I mean vine to
>> bottle to shelf).
>>
>> I've no idea, but lets say its 4 yrs. Seems like quite a reasonable length
>> of time to increase production to me.

Lets panic buy now then.
I'll do my best, but I'm not sure I can increase my consumption much further.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Focusless
>> Lets panic buy now then.

Waitrose are doing 25% off 6+ bottles of wine/champagne until 5 Nov, if you can find any.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Fursty Ferret
>> As longs as we still have beer :).
>>

Pleb. ;-)
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Kevin
The world is facing a wine shortage,

Just scaremongering by the Beeb.

I went to a Team Meeting at one of our offices near Heathrow on Monday. It produced an incredible number of wines.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 30 Oct 13 at 22:18
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - ....
Don't believe what Corporal Jones says, I saw two gay German's in Brighton.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Runfer D'Hills
Could've sworn it was "Mainwaring"...

( whistles and exits stage left...)

;-))
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - zippy
Gulp!

:-)
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Armel Coussine
Didn't notice any empty wine shelves in the local town today. Plenty of reduced, perfectly drinkable colonial and Latino plonk as well as bog standard and poncy European brews.

If there really is a shortage herself will become a bit curmudgeonly. Let's hope these intoxicant shortages aren't a general phenomenon or I will too.

One of our sheds is known as the brewery. A cousin-in-law and his son are churning out fabulous, slightly cloudy 4.8% ale in crown-capped bottles, in non-commercial quantities. It tastes perfect, anyone would be happy to pay 3 quid a pint for it in the pub, and they would call for more.

Costs 20p a pint to make. I just drank about 3 fifths of a pint of it out there. I try to find something wrong or sour about it, but I can't. It's the real thing.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Dutchie
Many moons ago I used to brew my own beer for me and my late father in law.Great man Irish and Scottish background, he could drink and used to love the home brew.Leave the bottles to settle a bit longer A.C.

My beer a used to clear after six weeks a long time to wait.>:)
Various of my friends and relatives have, over the years, produced one type of homebrew or another which they maintain is wonderful..

I must be unlucky because I've never sampled a homebrew from any of them, or anyone else for that matter, which wasn't horrible.
>> I must be unlucky because I've never sampled a homebrew from any of them, or anyone else for that matter, which wasn't horrible.

You aren't that unlucky FMR. I've had many a horrible homebrew over the years, and 'wine' made from elderflowers, oak leaves, all kinda carp and often very awful indeed.... the worst was orange I do believe, or maybe turnip.

However my late mother-in-law at least twice produced elderflower 'wine' that would knock out a Turk. My memories are inevitably fuddled but they contain lurid images of humiliation, strained muscles and other trivial injuries. Could have been worse...

As for the cousins' ale: it's near perfect. I still have some sort of judgement.

There's some way of clearing the slight cloudiness. Fish bladders or something. But since it tastes perfect who gives a damn? Not me. The bottles may clear as they settle but by the time a careless person has poured one it will be cloudy again. Doesn't matter.
Well I'm pleased for the Cousin et al, but I think that makes him one of few.

My Grandfather swore he could make wine out of anything, which I guess technically he could, but some of them would strip lead paint and the best of them was merely nasty.

However, they would stop a charging rhino with one sip.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Clk Sec
>>The world is facing a wine shortage,

Better start making your own, then. It'll be ready to drink within six to eight weeks.
My experience of home made wine is exactly the same as the gringo from chile. I'd stick with the beer and the gin, 2 out of three isn't bad.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Mapmaker
I've had some pretty good home-brew cider, though.

I should guess the average time from harvest to mouth is closer to 18 months. A huge amount of wine is drunk within a few months of harvest. You won't find much on the supermarket shelves that is 2009 wine. Mostly 2011/2012 I'd think?

Personally I don't think I've drunk anything from the eighties (save for some sherry which must include some old wine) this month.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Alanovich
My out laws in former Yugolandia make plenty of home distilled booze. They don't bother with girls' stuff like wine and beer, the entire production run is rakija - usually made from plums and so strong it's barely blooming drinkable. It is always offered (insisted upon) as a welcome drink before the proper drinking starts. Which usually involves just more rakija until the world goes black and my ears fall off.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Roger.
If wine gets too expensive for my sensibilities I shall cease buying it!
>> home distilled booze.

The cousins also have a small still, mobilized from time to time when unpalatable cider or perry are to be had. Some quite decent poire on at least one occasion, and tasty but excessively powerful applejack more often (it can be watered down of course to make it less lethal).

The poteen tastes authentic, which is enough to put anyone off. I think they have given up making that. Even I won't drink much of it.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Lygonos
My old man used to make homemade bramble/blackberry wine.

Tasted more like port than any red wine I've ever had, but disturbingly palatable.

I'd presume that since there was obviously unconverted sugar left after fermentation it was likely 13-14% - it certainly raised the eyebrows.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - madf
Who needs wine when you have LOTS of gins available - some very good and very cheap..
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - Mapmaker
>> Who needs wine when you have LOTS of gins available - some very good and
>> very cheap..

Tonic water rather adds to the cost though. Whilst my favourite gin is Lidl's £9.99 green-bottle gin (70cl), I won't not drink Schweppes unless it's Fever Tree. I really wish they did that gin at 47%. I really dislike their premium gin, BTW (£9.50 for 50cl) - too sweet.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - rtj70
Watching a repeat of a programme on Greece (Joanna Lumley) they went to a village on Crete where they are well known for their raki. Apparently it takes only 2 hours to make some raki! But the first part of the batch is pretty much lethal.
>> the first part of the batch is pretty much lethal.

Yes. Isn't all distilling like that? You have to know what to throw away. The cousins are very, very careful.
 PANIC, MR Mannering, PANIC NOW - bathtub tom
Is there any truth in the distilling by freezing?
Latest Forum Posts