Non-motoring > New puppy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 29

New puppy - sooty123
Having just recieved a new puppy who is 12 weeks old. I was wondering if had any ideas on the best way to get them to sleep through the night? Upstairs in a room, downstairs straight away? I get why he's whining, now he's on his own on a night.
So far we have got a crate to pop him in during the night and leave open during the day. Would covering the cage up on a night with a curtain help? He's happy to go in and out and will have a snooze during the day in it with no problems. First couple of nights no problem, then night before last sounded really frantic and had poo'd all in the cage (we did take him out a few times before bed) Sorted it out back in and ok ish.

Then last night went on for ages and ended up bringing him upstairs and was fine then in out room on the floor no mess no whining. However it was probably a mistake as we would like him to sleep downstairs and routine being important.So we've got a routine, no napping no water shortly before bed time, chance to go outside as well. Anything else missing or anyone any tips to help out?
 New puppy - bathtub tom
>>Then last night went on for ages and ended up bringing him upstairs and was fine

Sounds like it's got you trained fine, but isn't the idea you should be training it?

;>)
 New puppy - sooty123
>> >>Then last night went on for ages and ended up bringing him upstairs and was
>> fine
>>
>> Sounds like it's got you trained fine, but isn't the idea you should be training
>> it?
>>
>> ;>)

Aye I know. Mind you it was early morning the brain isn't always at it's best!
 New puppy - Armel Coussine
Having hived off their original cat onto us to grow obese and leave guts, puke and feathers around the gaff, my daughter's family has acquired a charming new kitten, black with white bib and paws.

It has given my middle daughter a black eye, I am told. Apparently it was climbing up her hair and accidentally hooked a claw in her eyelid. Since no one will believe such a tale, she might as well say her husband gave her the black eye. It's true in a way, since it was he who produced the kitten.

I am not immune to cute furry charm, but I am convinced that pet animals are more trouble than they are worth.
 New puppy - -
May be wrong, but my instinct is to let pup get used to surroundings in cage in the room with you at night, leave the shock of being totally alone till its secure in its home in due course.

New puppy - sooty123
That was sort of the idea in bringing it upstairs, then once it's used to the cage at night move it downstairs later on. Neither of us are new to dogs but it's been a while since training pups., so not sure which way is best.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 24 Oct 13 at 15:43
 New puppy - Baz
It helps to understand the dog's mind. He's a pack animal and he craves the comfort of his parents/pack, especially at night. He's used to their warmth, smell, breathing etc. And all of a sudden he's away from it on his own in strange surroundings. He will very soon settle in but if you want him to settle in a cage, then it must be a happy, safe place for him- sounds like it already is half way there. You can bring the cage closer to you at night so he can hear you/see you, or even sleep somewhere near him downstairs, sounds drastic but have heard it works well. Don't beat him or scold him for whining, or he will just develop a fear of you. Just keep re-assuring him. Put something cosy like a wrapped up hot water bottle in the cage. The trick is to build his confidence so that he's safe and happy and he'll soon be fine. If you have him on your bed now, you will have the next 10 years shareing your bed with a large dog!
 New puppy - sooty123
You can bring the cage closer to you at night so
>> he can hear you/see you, or even sleep somewhere near him downstairs,

The OH did that for one night and it did work but I'd rather not do it again and it become a habit.

Put something cosy like a wrapped up hot water bottle in the cage.

that might be an idea only think that might bother me is if he starts chewing it.

New puppy - Roger.
"It was he who produced the kitten."

Call the Guinness Book Of Records! (Not to mention a geneticist) :-)
>> Guinness Book Of Records! (Not to mention a geneticist) :-)

Heh heh... it did occur to me, but too late, that Certain Elements might be tempted by that.
 New puppy - R.P.
The Springer slept in his cage from day one - he moaned for a week and (CONFESSION) I went down to him and shoooshed him to sleep - a trick that still works to this day...no doubt the presence of the other dog helped - the nightmare was the hourly getting up to, eventually, house train him.

I took the older dog with me to work last Monday - the result was major separation anxiety from the other dog, pee everywhere (tiled floor, no access to the upstairs) and a handbag and contents strewn across the kitchen floor....
 New puppy - R.P.
They now both sleep on thick quality beds, under the stairs. No issues.
 New puppy - Zero
Pup stays in cage, downstairs. A blanket over the cage is a good idea. 7 days days of wailing should get it done. They soon learn someone will be there every morning.
 New puppy - No FM2R
I'm sure you're correct, but not my way. Our dogs have always have had free range. They can protect a part of the house if they can't get to it.
 New puppy - Zero
I said pup stays in cage, Pups cant protect p iss all.

As soon as its house trained, and calmed down a bit then it can range the house.
 New puppy - R.P.
Agreed Zero - once the pupster was house-trained the cage was kept, only to emerge temporarily a few weeks ago when the Springer was bitten quite nastily (by a third party !) and to stop the older dog from interfering with the wound. It was meant for the Springer but the Cocker took possession and slept there quite happily.
 New puppy - Runfer D'Hills
The night we brought ours home for the first time, I took him for a walk late at night. Not too far, maybe 20-25 minutes gentle stroll along the towpath. Enough to tire the wee fella out was all. Put him in his cage and he was sparked out until morning. Repeated the excercise each night. Never had any bother with wailing. We stopped using the cage fairly quickly and replaced it with a bed. House training was the easiest I've ever had with a pup. We had 3 indoor "accidents" when he was very young but nothing snce and he's 2.5 now. Still not keen on being in the car though. He can hold it together for a while but still often ends up puking which isn't especially useful.
 New puppy - sooty123
Yes that was my idea quite a bit of exercise fairly late on. Not cracked house training yet but we've not had him long. He's had a few accidents tbh but mainly on the paper in his cage. Not quite got the idea of doing it outside.
 New puppy - sooty123
OK thanks. I was thinking similar to stick with the cage on a night. During the day he's happy to wander around the front room where the cage is kept so no dramas with cage. Just trying to wear him out so hopefully it will help him sleep.
 New puppy - BiggerBadderDave
"I was thinking similar to stick with the cage on a night"

Put Zero in a cage every night.
 New puppy - R.P.
With who Dave ?
 New puppy - BiggerBadderDave
Put a blanket on his cage and I'll take his wife out. (again)
 New puppy - Zero
>> Put a blanket on his cage and I'll take his wife out. (again)

She calls you izzy

As in "izzy in yet?"
 New puppy - Bromptonaut
>> Pup stays in cage, downstairs. A blanket over the cage is a good idea. 7
>> days days of wailing should get it done. They soon learn someone will be there
>> every morning.

Sounds like Dr Chris Green's method with human pups - worked for us.
 New puppy - Ted

We used sort of home made pen to let the pups sleep in the bedroom. Lined it with newspaper and put their sleeping mats in. Never had a spot of bother with any of them. They were re-assured by hearing and smelling us in the night. The pen was gradually moved until it was out on the landing and the dogs soon got trained to sleep all night.

When trained, they went on their mats in the kitchen. The last two dogs, Border Terrorists, had a habit of getting spooked in the night by something and starting to howl...' singing ' in the BT world. One would razz the other up and a visit downstairs was the only way to stop them.

I devised a cunning way to stop them. I found a battery operated door bell in the garage. I hung it, by a loose tie wrap, on the drawer knob just above their mat. 30ft or so of bell wire connected it to a bell push, via the windows, onto the bedside cabinet. First yark in the night was punished by a long ring on the bell. It shut them up instantly and after a few weeks the problem was gone......so are the dogs now......miss 'em badly but no more now, sadly.

Ted
I had a puppy when I was 9 or so. It felt lonely on the back verandah in its basket and yelped endlessly until I brought it inside.

Later when I was away at school it vanished. Snakebite or rabies, can't remember. Snakebite I think.
 New puppy - BobbyG
Another tip - ear plugs!!

When we first got the puppy, same situation cage at night and some wailing and crying.
On the second night I swore at it and threatened it with the Dogs Trust.
On the third night I slept soundly and didn't hear a thing, with my earplugs in.
By the 10th night or so he was fine, no wailing, in a routine and happy.

Two and a half years later he started barking during the night for no obvious reason. Would happen once or twice each night, enough to wake us up even though he sleeps downstairs int he utility room.

The barking stopped when we discovered the mice in the cupboard under the utility sink!!
 New puppy - Runfer D'Hills
>>the mice in the cupboard under the utility sink

That where you keep your shoes?
 New puppy - BobbyG
Nah - I sleep with them on
 New puppy - NeilS
Our 8 week old was happy in his crate downstairs from early on - we left the radio on for the first 3 or 4 nights and sectioned off the crate so he had just enough room to lie down, turn around and stand up. That's all they need, all they get with mum, any more and they fidget and wander off to the corner for 1s and 2s which they don't do in their sleep area. Zero accidents in the crate and he happily wanders off to it when the grandchildren's noise becomes a drag or he's too tired to play (which isn't often!)
Latest Forum Posts