Non-motoring > Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 13

Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? - RattleandSmoke
I have two drills which I use for most projects, my DeWalt 18v cordless which I use all the time and a much cheaper (cost me about £40) Ryobi 600w corded which I use for light masonry work (fitting shelves, security lights to brick etc).

My Dewalt has never had any issues with the chuck despite the fact it is used quite heavily (at least once a week on average this year) but virtually very time I use my Ryobi the drill bit falls after about 20 seconds of drilling. I cannot see any obvious issue with the chuck but it looks a little worn despite the fact it hasn't been used that much.

In fact as far as I know all I have done with the Ryobi is:-
Alarm:- Bell box, control panel and keypad
Shelves x 3
Security lights x 2

I also used it to countersink replacement floorboards as it was quicker using this than my Dewalt.

My Dewalt on the other hand has built quite a few benches for my workshops (had three in the past three years due to my office and relocation etc) and lots of other general things.

Edit is actually only a 500w drill, this is the exact one I have

www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills/hammer_drills/-cordedcordless-Corded/Ryobi-500w-Hammer-Drill-11227768
The Ryobi is actually a good drill and has never ran out of puff in the light to medium duty stuff I have used it for, it has very good ergonomics and feels nice in the hand but with this fault it is useless. So is it worth trying to source a replacement chuck for a £40 drill or should I just ditch it and buy a better quality corded such as a Dewalt, Bosh or even a B&D (which I thought Ryobi was a match for)?

It seems a bit over the top buying a Dewalt, Makita or Bosh for a drill that will get used about 6 times a year, but on the other hand if it lasts for ever it is money well spent.

Have I just been unlucky with this Ryobi? It is about 2.5 years old now so out of warranty, and I don't even remember exactly when I bought it, apart from I remember going to a further away B&Q especially to buy it as my local branch was out of stock.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 21:16
 Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? - Ted

Rats....I have just chucked 2 Ryobis away due to batteries failing. They are the 14.4 V cordless but I bet the chuck is the same. It looks it from your picture.

They're both in the bin but it wont be emptied 'til next week. If you want to take them and use the chucks you're welcome. I bought an 18V Ryobi to replace them.

I don't do enough now to warrant the 4 drills I had. The old Bosch corded does any heavy work.

Ted
 Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? - The Nut
I wore out the chuck on my ancient black and decker fitting an alarm box to the front wall of our Victorian terrace, the more expensive bricks that were used for the front of houses back then are very tough.
That would be great Ted, even if they do not fit there is no harm in trying. Nut I did have to drill through engineering brick to get the security light up and indeed they are tough!.

Also been drilling into stone gate posts recently to fit a gate that I made, so I suppose it is heavy work but builders must be doing it day in and day out without replacing their chuck every few days.
 Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? - RichardW
They're got SDS drills, which make hammer drills look like toys. The chuck should be std fitting, so should be easy to replace.

I need to replace my 14.4V Ryobi battery jobby as the batteries are a bit sick, and the brushes are worn out, and not replacable. My mains hammer drill has suffered the same fate on the brushes!
Dot sure if you can replace the bushes on the Ryobi, I know you certainly can on the Dewalt. That said the drill (Dewalt) is only about £60 to buy, it is the batteries which make them expensive.
 Ryobi chuck problem - chuck out the drill? - Old Navy
A choice, spend megabucks on a professional quality drill, or one of these, guaranteed for three years but cheap enough to be disposable.

tinyurl.com/psmdpb8
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 24 Oct 13 at 13:24
Need a corded one though, I already have a very good 18v Dewalt cordless which is a brilliant piece of engineering (it is not the B&Q special one, but a higher end one) but it is not a hammer drill and it isn't really power enough anyway so I need a hammer drill. SDS is over the top as I never need to drill big holes into walls or anything like that.

It is a shame they don't have corded ones on offer.
>> Need a corded one though,
>> It is a shame they don't have corded ones on offer.
>>

tinyurl.com/pggm957

tinyurl.com/q4rygvr
Interesting ON - might get myself one (two...!) of those - always useful to have a) 2 batteries and b) a drill with a screwdriver in and one with a drill bit in.
>> Interesting ON - might get myself one (two...!) of those - always useful to have
>> a) 2 batteries and b) a drill with a screwdriver in and one with a
>> drill bit in.
>>

You don't need two drills, you need a flip driver. :-)

tinyurl.com/odun73x
I have those, makes it very easy for changing screw driver bits. I also have a Bosch 3v Lithium driver which is very handy.

That SDS drill from Aldi looks very temping :).
Bought one today (the drill that is!). Seems a remarkably sturdy bit of kit for £20, no plastic case to store it in, but it will no doubt fit in the case for the old Ryobi.
Brushes are sealed inside the motor, so whole motor needs to be replaced (although I suppose it could be opened, but it hardly seems worth the effort).
Latest Forum Posts