Non-motoring > External Oil Boiler hassles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 8

External Oil Boiler hassles - Harleyman
For your delectation, a copy of a complaint I've just sent in to Worcester.Bosch, which I hope is self-explanatory.

---------

Dear Sirs

In February I had a Greenstar Heatslave 12/18 RSO GB EXT installed, to replace a previous Worcester boiler which had self-destructed and set fire to my house. I had one fault on it a few weeks later which your technician fixed.

Last Saturday morning the boiler cut out. I telephoned your service centre, arranged an appointment for Monday. I was then informed that despite the fact that the boiler is outside, someone would have to be at home; some nonsense about liability I think. One of our reasons for having an outside boiler was that we both work odd hours and it made an engineer's job easier; presumably Elf and Safety has put paid to that?

Engineer informed my wife before he arrived this morning that if it was raining he could not work on the boiler in case it got wet. As luck would have it the rain abated and he re-started the boiler; but it begs a question. Why, if you can afford to equip your engineers with all sorts of gadgetry, is it beyond your wit to supply them with a simple pop-up shelter similar to the ones BT have used for years for use in cases like these? Do you assume that external boilers only break down during dry spells? If they are so vulnerable to a drop of rain, should they in fact be regarded as fit for purpose in a country where it tends to rain more often than it doesn't? The engineer told my wife that customers tend to provide gazebos or build sheds so that boilers can be worked on if it's raining. In the latter case, then, they're not outside boilers any more are they? And in the former; I would have had I been informed that your service did not run to this.

Finally; the engineer speculated that the likely cause of the lockout was a lack of fuel pressure. My tank (2500l capacity) is half full and the bottom of the tank is higher than the top of the boiler. What sort of pressure does it need, a fire pump? I might drive a lorry to earn a living but I'm aware of the basic principles of physics, presumably some of your engineers aren't.

I do hope this boiler turns out to be as reliable as the last one, although I could do without this one burning my workshop down. If this experience of after-sales service is anything to go by, I sincerely hope I don't need to call you out again.

Oh, and by the way; not your fault but I was not given an access key when the boiler was installed. I would be grateful if you could send me one, even though I hope not to have to use it.

I appreciate that these may come across as trivialities but put together it was a less than satisfactory customer experience, the more so given your standing as a major player in the industry.

Sincerely

--------

Anyone else had any hassles with these boilers?
 External Oil Boiler hassles - R.P.
I had a brilliant Bosch Worcester boiler in my old gaff for 13 years. BW provided excellent service when something went wrong. One of their engineers warned me that things had taken a turn for the worst in the last few years....shame that.
 External Oil Boiler hassles - -
Good restrained rant there HM, whether it'll end up at the terminal of someone who has clout is another thing.

This is a little worrying, OK we're on gas but Worcester Bosch was probably going to be the replacement when our 20+ year old Vaillant eventualy pegs out, think it'll be a case of recommendation at the time by our superb indy boiler man, mainly what he prefers to work on.

he's a bit like my old MB indy, little impresses him and he believes in fixing things not replacing the whole caboodle.
I didn't want to be too harsh, since I do accept that service on Monday morning after a phone call on Saturday is a response that would put many major players to shame; it was really the petty irritations which sparked it.
 External Oil Boiler hassles - Runfer D'Hills
I'd be careful with sparks right now...

;-)
 External Oil Boiler hassles - bathtub tom
Did you send it to the right person?

richard.soper@uk.bosch.com
No Tom, just used the complaints form on their webpage. It's not exactly earth-shattering, just made me feel a bit better having a moan.

But I'll remember that e-mail, take it that's their CEO?
Update on this; to Worcester-Bosch's credit I did receive a prompt reply.

"Further to your recent email, thank you for once again purchasing a Worcester boiler and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration caused by the two visits this year.

We are questioned about engineers have suitable covers for external boilers from time to time; thankfully, despite our climate it doesn’t pose a problem as often as you may have thought. However, it is true that under our current terms of service, accessibility to any appliance, internal or external is the responsibility of the product owner. This may, of course change at some point; all our services are under constant review.

What is unlikely to change is the requirement for someone to be present when we are on site. I am afraid in this day and age it is a necessity.

An access key has been ordered and will be delivered in the next few days; if you should need a future replacement, the part number is 87161140130 and it is available at any local plumbers merchant. Please note that only a qualified person should access the inner of a gas or oil boiler.

If you have any future issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again; thank you for your feedback."

Got this a couple of days ago and the key arrived today.
 External Oil Boiler hassles - No FM2R
Seems an entirely reasonable and rational response. Good for them.
Latest Forum Posts