Non-motoring > Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 17

Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Dog
This is aimed at mad f really, or anybuddy else who knows their bees from their knees.

I used to buy raw honey when we lived in Tenerife, it was so raw it even had bits of comb in it.

I've never seen that in blighty but, I think it's about time I got hold of some - to stick in my organic cyder vinegar.

So, can one buy raw un-pasteurised honey, or has the EU put the kybosh on that 'n all?
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Dutchie
madf should have the answer Dog.Daughters husband started with a honey bee hive this year.His colony is growing fine I've been helping him inspecting his hive.He brought me some fresh beetroot yesterday grown in his garden.What a sweet taste I've put the beetroot in the oven left cooking for 1 hr.

Where I was born in our village we used to have chickens rabbits and grown our own food.Frames with running honey can be left to pour out under gravity in a collecting dish.Best way is a centrifugal honey extractor.The honey is spon off the frames.
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - madf
Any local beekeepers will have raw honey. Search for your local Beekeeping Association and ask them who is selling honey..or a local farm shop - but watch out as unscrupulous people pass off imported honey (cheap Chinese 90p/kg) as local (£4/lb).

Many foreign beekeepers (US, China) use antibiotics to kill off bee diseases such as American Foul Brood... illegal in UK.. Bee destruction and sterilising of hive required by law...tinyurl.com/paa2mfg

Pasteurising honey kills the flavour..

Last edited by: madf on Sat 19 Oct 13 at 12:12
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - madf
>> Any local beekeepers will have raw honey. Search for your local Beekeeping Association and ask
>> them who is selling honey..or a local farm shop - but watch out as unscrupulous
>> people pass off imported honey (cheap Chinese 90p/kg) as local (£4/lb).
>>
>> Many foreign beekeepers (US, China) use antibiotics to kill off bee diseases such as American

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-101494/All-Chinese-honey-ordered-shelves.html

All Chinese honey is ordered off shelves
by SEAN POULTER, Daily Mail
Food watchdogs have ordered all Chinese-produced honey to be withdrawn from sale after trials found that much of it is contaminated by antibiotics.
Forty per cent of the honey sold in the UK comes from China.
Tests of 16 pots found that ten contained the powerful antibiotic chloramphenicol.
The chemical is a trigger for aplastic anaemia, a rare but serious blood disorder which affects up to 100 people in Britain each year. It has also been linked to leukaemia.

The news comes just two weeks after the Food Standards Agency told leading supermarkets to withdraw specific batches of own-brand honey produced in China which were found to be contaminated with another antibiotic, streptomycin.
The sudden withdrawal of all Chinese honey threatens to cause a UK shortage.
Two Tesco Finest Acacia Honey jars tested positive for chloramphenicol. One also contained traces of streptomycin.
A pot of Tesco Pure Set Honey also tested positive for both.
Two jars of Sainsbury's ownbrand honey and a Gales product tested positive for both.
Honey from Rowse, Bee's Queen and Asda also tested positive for at least one of the chemicals.

>>Daughters husband started with a honey bee hive this year

Good to get back to folk medicine Dutchie: www.doctoryourself.com/honey.html

I eat a lot of beetroot during the course of a week, and have borsch too.

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9546330/Beetroot-juice-may-help-beet-your-best.html

>>Pasteurising honey kills the flavour..

Kills the enzymes too.
I'M a bit late replying Dog,have been busy pottering about in the garden beautifull weather today.

Some good information Dog regarding food.I eat very little process food and a small amount of meat.Don't know if it makes any difference to my livespan but there is no harm in trying.I like a glass of red wine do,my neighbour buys me the Shiraz and Merlot when they are out shopping.Good people both getting on.I keep a eye on them if their is a problem.
You've always come across as an easy-going sort of geezer Dutchie, although I wouldn't want to upset you ;)

Good neighbs is good news, we've got good neighbs here, but had some bad ones in years gorn by, not too bad though, compared to what I read in Pat's newspaper :)

Eating meat a few times a week is okay, unless you've got chronic kidney dis-ease, I don't think a vegetarian diet is necessarily a good diet Dutchie to be purrfectly honest, I still refuse to eat meat though because I don't want to eat dead animals (or living ones)

I eat a lot of fish though, and I get through a dozen luvly cholesterol-laden eggs a week so I don't think I die of starvation just yet.

As for ethyl alcohol - could us humans survive without it I wonder? .. I manage to, but I'm not human.

:+)
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Lygonos
Don't give honey to under-1s as it is suspected to (very rarely) cause botulism.
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Rudedog
Hopefully not too a stupid a question... but is there a real need to pasteurise pure honey? Obviously you would sterilise the jars/lids but I would have thought that the high sugar content would prevent any bugs growing, even after I've opened a jar I can't recall it growing mould unlike jam.
No need to pasteurise honey in my opinion.You are right about sterilise the jars.I used to buy my honey from a local beekeeper.
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Bromptonaut
>> Don't give honey to under-1s as it is suspected to (very rarely) cause botulism.

Do you know ow long has that advice been around ? I've only noticed it in last few years.

Miss B, who is 21 in December, yummed up porridge sweetened with honey at 6 months old. Whatever the risk we got away with it but AFAIK it was advocated at time as better for them than refined sugar.
>>Do you know ow long has that advice been around ?

To my knowledge at least 20 years.

Goes in the same folder as unpasteurised foods for pregnant women etc. - ie rare but potentially devastating.
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Bromptonaut

>> To my knowledge at least 20 years.
>>
>> Goes in the same folder as unpasteurised foods for pregnant women etc. - ie rare
>> but potentially devastating.

So in risk assessment terms it's consequence up to 5 but probability less than 1?

In that case I'd probably have run the risk - same as why I ride a bike bear headed.
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Harleyman

>> In that case I'd probably have run the risk - same as why I ride
>> a bike bear headed.
>>

I didn't realise you commuted from Paddington.
>> In that case I'd probably have run the risk - same as why I ride a bike bear headed.

Bromp I can reassure you that you are waaaaay more likely to die or become maimed not wearing a helmet than any child contracting botulism from honey.

Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Runfer D'Hills
>>you are waaaaay more likely to die or become maimed not wearing a helmet ...

Could we pick this up in "cycling" Doc ? I'm really quite interested to burrow into and discuss that theory further but don't want to pinch Dog's thread. ( if that's cool with you? )
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - Ted
>>
>> >> In that case I'd probably have run the risk - same as why I
>> ride
>> >> a bike bear headed.

A bear headed cyclist.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Tj1hG98xE

Ted
 Raw un-past-your-eyes-honey - crocks
>> In that case I'd probably have run the risk - same as why I ride a bike bear headed.

So this isn't you.
d111vui60acwyt.cloudfront.net/product_photos/206972/il_fullxfull.186166250_original.jpg
Latest Forum Posts