Non-motoring > A special for Rattle? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 18

A special for Rattle? - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03d690n/Impact!_A_Horizon_Guide_to_Plane_Crashes/

But it is about improvements in safety..........

A special for Rattle? - Manatee
In fairness I think Rattle knows a lot more than average about the subject, which might be the problem!

I might have a look if it's not an old one.

Interestingly, the chance of being killed on a single airline flight are pretty similar to the chance of winning the National Lottery jackpot with a single ticket. I find it genuinely funny that so many people must think it's worth buying a lottery ticket for the chance of a million or two, but not worth staying away from aeroplanes to avoid the same likelihood of death.

Not a problem for me, as I treat the lottery win as being impossible.
 A special for Rattle? - diddy1234
isn't it ironic in a way but us humans only ever seem to learn after the event !
 A special for Rattle? - No FM2R
I dunno, completely different thing.

I enjoy buying a lottery ticket. I don't worry about dying in a plane crash. Its emotional, not logical.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 16 Oct 13 at 20:42
 A special for Rattle? - Old Navy
I find it hard to understand why so many people, usually female, find it necessary to scream in circumstances like the pilot applying full power just before landing to go around, or during turbulence. Maybe during turbulence is because their drink is being spilled. :-)
Aside from the point that screaming if some pilot spills your vodka is an entirely valid response; I don't react to being scared by screaming, however bad the turbulence.

However, I have been known to grip the armrest tightly which makes about as much sense.
 A special for Rattle? - diddy1234
the turbulence enlightens an otherwise boring flight he he
 A special for Rattle? - RattleandSmoke
Thanks I will watch it tonight as I drift of to sleep :).

My problem is I understand enough but not enough if that makes sense. I also know about the lottery statistic, and I also know two separate people that won the lottery.

My fear is not the fear of dying on the plane or crashing as I know it is very unlikely, it is the fear of something going wrong and it being a traumatic experience. This happens a lot even if it is just a circle around for a few hours to dump fuel before attempting to land.

A special for Rattle? - henry k
>> This happens a lot even if it is just a circle around for a few hours to dump fuel before attempting to land.
>>
IIRC most aircraft cannot dump fuel but just fly around to use up fuel in order to get lighter than the max landing weight for the type.
I can only recall one significant on board event when the wide body aircraft took off and did quick circuit at quite low altitude before returning back to where we had started.
That caused the brakes to overheat causing a further delay to the departure.

I have flown hundreds of times on many airlines and helicopters in many countries.
My near misses re aircraft were both when I was on the ground and were many decades ago.
Both were well known Heathrow accidents. Two hours earlier I had been where the aircraft crashed.

I enjoy being flown so do not worry about the statistics.

PC batteries catching alight seems a much greater risk to aircraft but how many examples are you aware of suffering that problem on the ground ?

A special for Rattle? - Duncan
>> and I also know two separate people that won the
>> lottery.
>>

Well, yes, they would be separate otherwise it would be the same person won it twice??
 A special for Rattle? - Crankcase
It could be conjoined twins. But what are the odds?
 A special for Rattle? - Cliff Pope
>>so many people must think it's worth buying a lottery ticket for
>> the chance of a million or two, but not worth staying away from aeroplanes to
>> avoid the same likelihood of death.
>>

That seems quite logical to me. It costs effectively nothing to enter the lottery, so however low the chance of winning, it would be silly not to put your name down.

But the cost of avoiding flying is quite high. You miss out on holidays, it may limit your choice of jobs, put a block on chances of promotion, cause family dissention, may cause you to stay at home which is much the most dangerous place to be.
I hope the professional pilots amongst us appreciate the threads we run for their amusement. :-)
 A special for Rattle? - Zero
nah, all asleep.
>> nah, all asleep.
>>

They can't all be at 30odd K feet. :-)
 A special for Rattle? - VxFan
>> I hope the professional pilots amongst us appreciate the threads we run for their amusement :-)

Probably just flew over their heads.
While this is true it can also force you to have different experiences. I have flown before and I have never said never to flying. I almost did go to Turkey last October to stay at a mate of a mates villa but at the last minute we decided against it.

I also love ground travel especially trains and while it may limit some places I cannot afford to got America or Australia and also I believe there is far more to see nearer to home first.

It always amazed me you hear of people that go to all sorts of tourist places abroad (usually two pints of fosters mate type resorts) yet have never been to London.

When I went to Salou it was a brilliant holiday, if I had got the plane it would have been a boring seaside holiday but the way I did it [Manchester > London > Paris > Port Bou > Barcelona > Salou] meant I got to see an awful lot. I will do the same thing next year without a doubt but I hope to spend a couple of nights in France too.

I wish I could say the same for the coach journey, the 24 hour travel time really didn't bother me as it was so comfortable and I took so much entertainment with me what did bother me was the fact as it was all motorway and stopped at motorway service stations I was near some stunning places but may as well have been at Watford Gap services despite being just 100 miles from the border of Italy.

Financially the coach journey easily compared to the cost of a budget flight but was far less hassle, the same coach GA13 GYO picked me up in Manchester and took me to the door step of the hotel in Spain.

The train journey cost a little more (around £270 return from Manchester to Salou) but the 12 hours I had in Paris to make the next connection was all apart of the holiday.

I agree with you on train travel, I love it.

You should browse through this website www.seat61.com/ it has some outstanding journeys.

Yeah seat61 was the inspiration for my journey. I have done plenty of European trips before seat61 but never as far as Spain but the explanations help a lot. I would have been quite anxious about the night train if I hadn't read seat61 as it gave me some idea what to expect.

Really want to take the TGV again as the 220mph service through France was a thrill but the timings never work out and I can't really afford a night in Paris unless I stay in a hostel.

Latest Forum Posts