Non-motoring > Favourite singers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 123

Favourite singers. - Roger.
Listening to some CDs today brought to mind some fabulous voices.
For me, as an oldie, here are three each of my most memorable female & male voices.

1. Ella Fitzgerald.
2. Karen Carpenter.
3. Judith Durham.

1.Frank Sinatra.
2.Roy Orbison.
3.Neil Diamond.

Nominations?
 Favourite singers. - -
Sarah Brightman, Shirley Bassey, Dame Kiri, Katherine Jenkins

Be moved...www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uyEn792JuM

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 17:12
 Favourite singers. - RattleandSmoke
Not sure if he counts as a singer, but my favourite is Morrissey. If we are talking about singers though in I would probably also say Johnny Cash.

In terms of female vocalists I would say Kirsty McCall.
 Favourite singers. - Stuu
Jonny Lang and Amy Lee.
 Favourite singers. - Zero
>> Not sure if he counts as a singer, but my favourite is Morrissey.

He doesn't. The titles said singer, inferring someone who can sing.
 Favourite singers - girls - Zero
Dinah Washington

www.youtube.com/watch?v=STTLwI-u4Fg

Julie London

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLGv3WPnVQ

Alison Moyet

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIrvGro3n8

Shirley Bassey
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

But most of all you need to watch and listen to this girl, possibly the greatest blues/jazz singer that has ever lived, and she has only just started her life!

Cecile McLorin Salvant
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_F_potBug

Favourite singers - men - Zero
Matt Monro
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIRbV_noi8

Glen Cambell
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTfwcLdP5Xk

Tony Bennet
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryF9p-nqsWw

nat King Cole
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kP8jPa1wCg

Tony Hadley
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc

And of course, In lama land he'll toot his flute for you
Frank Sinatra
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmQq6yLe2ww

Favourite singers - Manatee
Sandy Denny.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8

Scalp tingling.

Another for good measure

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt6ZlpEWUFE

Billie Holiday.

Lots of people can sing, but this is a performance - and the voice had gone by this stage in 1958

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQXNinqFDNQ

Brilliant arrangements by Ray Ellis. I know tastes differ, but get the audiophile version of that with the bonus material.

Bic Runga. Perhaps not the best demo of her ability, but I like Dylan too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeHRHYRq_0U

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 18:34
 Favourite singers - busbee
Les Paul How High the moon

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzB7I2y7Ic
 Favourite singers - busbee
The Seekers The Carnival is Over --- and others

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oeazFSHUgk
 Favourite singers - Robin O'Reliant
Ronnie Drew -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JhVWsc5Xgg
 Favourite singers - Harleyman
I notice that the impending Seekers tour (50th anniversary, how time flies) is also to be their last.

www.seetickets.com/tour/the-seekers

Just played some of their stuff on Grooveshark.... I'd forgotten how good they are.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 20:32
 Favourite singers - Roger.
>> I notice that the impending Seekers tour (50th anniversary, how time flies) is also to
>> be their last.
>>
>> www.seetickets.com/tour/the-seekers
Over a ton for two of us :(
>> The Seekers The Carnival is Over --- and others
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oeazFSHUgk
>>
The Seekers - nowhere without Judy Durham!

Ottile Patterson; what a voice she had, too.
 Favourite singers - Bromptonaut
>> The Seekers - nowhere without Judy Durham!

Judith ties with Karen Matheson as my most rated female vocalist but like Capercaillie The Seekers' guy can sing too.

Try Four String Winds

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmnzwNymFb0

Or Red Rubber Ball

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLnWtTbNLDE

and quite a few others too.

Not quite the spine tingle of Judith's solo in Danny Boy or Carnival but good music nonetheless.
 Favourite singers - corax
In addition to the above.

Aretha Franklin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM

Scott Walker

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4

>> Scott Walker

I'm afraid I sing "No Regrets" with him in the car...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xcRE_XoPT0
>> Les Paul How High the moon
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzB7I2y7Ic
>>

Deviation. I didn't hear Les Paul singing much.

Though I would put him in the top git box players with Al di Meola, who I was reminded of -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqanzg528KU
>> >>
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzB7I2y7Ic
>> >>
>> >> >> Les Paul How High the moon
>>
>> Deviation. I didn't hear Les Paul singing much.
>>
>> Though I would put him in the top git box players with Al di Meola,
>> who I was reminded of -
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqanzg528KU
>>

His missis, Mary Ford could warble a bit - multi-tracked, though.,.
 Favourite singers - chaps - Manatee
Nick Drake

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyv4qB5Aft4

James Taylor

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qJPDIdm9kQ

(could have put Carole King in the women)

Declan MacManus

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O040xuq2FR0

Elvis Presley

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVscR5YOo

And I would include Frank too.
 Favourite singers - chaps - Robin O'Reliant
Also Petula Clark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k9BiDRHANg

Edith Piaf

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjJgI92f8w

Jim Reeves

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUH1mH-pMBQ
 Favourite singers - chaps - Manatee
>> Jim Reeves
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUH1mH-pMBQ

Was that one of those he made before he died?
 Favourite singers - men - corax
>> Matt Monro
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIRbV_noi8

That is such a cool driving video. Isn't that how everyone envisages themselves when they think of going for a drive? I know I do. Without the fag of course, although I admit it adds to the image. Just a shame that they feel your lungs with tar.
 Favourite singers - girls - Crankcase

>> Cecile McLorin Salvant
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_F_potBug

Blinking flip zero. She's astonishing. What a great find. Thank you.

I saw Ella right at the end of her career, at the Palladium, and she was just about still brilliant. She almost lives again, doesn't she.

youtu.be/tpjI7RQi1oQ
>>
>> >> Cecile McLorin Salvant
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_F_potBug
>>
>>
>> Blinking flip zero. She's astonishing. What a great find. Thank you.
>>
>> I saw Ella right at the end of her career, at the Palladium, and she
>> was just about still brilliant. She almost lives again, doesn't she.
>>
>> youtu.be/tpjI7RQi1oQ

Yup, you take Ella, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Dinah Washington, any female blues/jazz singer and this girl has echoes of them all. In fact she will have to be careful to develop and keep her own style and sound lest, she becomes a parody or pastiche.
Well you just cost me £20 as I've stumped for her album. On vinyl of course.

>> Well you just cost me £20 as I've stumped for her album. On vinyl of
>> course.

Terribly sorry ole chap. Remember, you heard it hear first.

In truth I heard about her on Robert Elms show on Radio London. Not only is he a man of (usually) impeccable taste in Music, but turns out possible the best 3 hours interesting and topical radio in the country. Very London Biased, but so good I'll even forgive him being a militant cyclist.
Just to close the loop, the LP turned up today. We've had a sneak preview of the first track and it's more than I hoped. Sound is excellent, and I'd forgotten that a brand new record of course has not a trace of crackling or popping.

I shall try to keep it that way as long as possible.

What a singer she is.
 Favourite singers. - rtj70
Roger, apologies for thread drift but if you like:

2. Karen Carpenter.

Then try Rumer. I got to listen to some new and old music before my recent holiday - signed up to the free trial of Google Play Music. Cancelled just before it was going to cost (it was £7.99 a month at the discounted rate rather than £9.99). I prefer to have the actual music rather than streaming it (Google and Spotify do support caching) because at £7.99 you can buy an album a month for keeps.

The surprising thing... it was some effort to think of what I wanted to listen to that I did not have. Ended up checking out albums by artists I already have music from.
 Favourite singers. - Dutchie
Father Abraham smurf song.>)
 Favourite singers. - NortonES2
The Ink Spots: tinyurl.com/mze3fvt
 Favourite singers. - Harleyman
Male

1) Roy Orbison

2) Johnny Cash

3) Bob Seger

Female

1) Alison Krauss... particularly the earlier stuff with Union Station.

2) Mary Chapin Carpenter

3) Allison Crowe .... Canadian artist who does the most definitive version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". And is pretty damn good at everything else.

I'm a bit of an omnivore where music's concerned; can appreciate most things though high opera leaves me cold and I've always considered rap to have a silent "c".

Group-wise (as opposed to solo singers) I can enjoy pretty much anything from The Platters through to Mumford & Sons.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 20:45
 Favourite singers. - Crankcase
Ludicrously coincidental.

Spent an hour or so dragging down the turntable and amp and speakers from the loft, for no real reason than to see if it all still worked.

Had completely forgotten how much vinyl blows away, for me, on my system in my house, anything digital or cd based.

Spent a happy couple of hours listening to ancient records, including my lovely 1966 Seekers record. Not thought of them in years. Was wondering if they were still alive, and bingo, here in this thread is a link to their farewell concert.

Booking tickets tomorrow for the last chance. What an excellent forum this can be.

As a clue to what else I listened to, all four sides, I'll nominate Jon Anderson as a singist too.

Favourite singers. - NortonES2
Just played the link to the Seekers: great voice!
Happy to be of service Crankcase.

One of my few regrets in life is that I forsook the chance to see Roy Orbison live in concert. One of his regular dates was the Theatre Royal in Nottingham; saw the flyers, thought about going, something else came along, you know how it is when you're young.

A few years later Roy enjoyed a renaissance thanks to Jeff Lynn and the Travelling Wilburys, producing what I considered to be amongst his finest work.

Then all of a sudden he was gone... and I understood how the Elvis fans felt.
 Favourite singers. - Kevin
>A few years later Roy enjoyed a renaissance thanks to Jeff Lynn and the Travelling Wilburys,

Did you see the TV prog about Roy, narrated in part by his wife, that included the story of how the Wilburys came to be?
A sad story brightened by the fact that they had a real hoot making that album and he was a big Anglophile, quoting from Monty Python and having a giggle.

I have alot of Roy's stuff but one of my favourites has to be the duet of Crying with k.d.lang. At the end he just destroys her with the range and effortless power of his voice. She's gobsmacked.

I agree with Bob Seger as well. In fact I can't disagree with any of the above except Morrissey.

I'd add:

Sam Cooke

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEM4VlnGNXU

and Nina Simone

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3FXFnoTzE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZD9cFk7DM

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Adele.
 Favourite singers. - corax
>> Had completely forgotten how much vinyl blows away, for me, on my system in my
>> house, anything digital or cd based.

Yep. Sound quality is one thing that has taken a dive in modern times.
Quality went up in the 80s, as cd was developing the quality became superb. Its now taken a dive again, both on physical media and that over the air or streamed.

MP3 has ruined our ears and lowered our standards.
 Favourite singers. - Fenlander
>>>Quality went up in the 80s, as cd was developing the quality became superb. Its now taken a dive again, both on physical media...

I'm not sure quality as such has fallen... it's just that modern stuff is mixed to push the sound out of your average car stereo or IPod dock and it's all wrong when played on a decent system. Not all but much of it.

An exception for example is that I read Led Zep take a great interest in the output with their name on it and some of their CDs have a wonderful sound.

------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>Spent an hour or so dragging down the turntable and amp and speakers from the loft, for no real reason than to see if it all still worked.

Had completely forgotten how much vinyl blows away, for me, on my system in my house, anything digital or cd based.

Vinyl is a very tactile experience which I enjoy. I've never been without a turntable but like yours it has spent some periods packed away. I buy quite a lot of vinyl these days at low prices in unsorted/ungraded boxes and there are some real finds regarding the sound.

Such as a mint 1973 Nutbush City Limits single which punches sound out of the speakers in a startling way.

>> Its now taken a dive again, both on physical media and that over the air

I wish 6 music was on FM despite the crackle, because the difference between that and DAB is like night and day. The music really deserves better.

I have a set of mini discs that I recorded when Peel was still alive and on FM, and the way that stuff pounds out of the speakers compared to DAB is remarkable. Just more power and depth.
 Favourite singers. - Ted

Something for our older members....
Male.
Al Bowlly......tipped to become greater than Bing if Herr Goering hadn't dropped one on his apartment in London
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLa1VnPRYg
John Denver
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Urno088IAo
Tito Schipa
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSRZtqz6wk

Jussi Bjorling
John McCormack
Jim Reeves.

Girls.
Kathleen Ferrier
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypePP1ENcmw
Edith Piaf
Jessie Norman
Josephine Baker
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdUk0EjTEo

Speshly for our Cornish Canine....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlpBCfu-us&list=PLAD61AF1CF7859C3C

HeHe

Ted
 Favourite singers. - Dog
>>Speshly for our Cornish Canine....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlpBCfu-us&list=PLAD61AF1CF7859C3C

HeHe

I am familiar (ahem!) with The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band of course Teddy-my-love but ...

This is more my cup of tea: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0q00iTNQs
What is this Dog music from the Underworld?
 Favourite singers. - Dog
>>What is this Dog music from the Underworld?

It's not of this world Dutchie, but then neither am I.
Oh blimey. More spookiness. Saturday night we stuck some old music on Spotify - we listened to Peter Gabriel, immediately followed by Gorilla.
 Favourite singers. - Dog
I was listening to Planet Rock last night while preparing our vegetarian meal of spinach and haddock fish cakes (from ASDA) with ensalada, and they played that first track from his secrets album, and I thought, like, hello!

I shall listen to the whole album when I get a roun tuit.
How the heck can a vegetarian meal include haddock?

Last time I looked they swam around in the sea, you didn't plant them next to the celery.
 Favourite singers. - Manatee
>> How the heck can a vegetarian meal include haddock?
>>
>> Last time I looked they swam around in the sea, you didn't plant them next
>> to the celery.

You obviously haven't read the ingredient list on a packet of Asda haddock fishcakes.
 Favourite singers. - Dog
>>How the heck can a vegetarian meal include haddock?

Well, it isn't meat and it hasn't got any legs, so it must be a vegetable I would have thought.

>>You obviously haven't read the ingredient list on a packet of Asda haddock fishcakes.

Don't go there :(

Favourite singers. - Armel Coussine
>> Don't go there :(

I still remember the puzzled expressions of Herself and our youngest when they tasted their vegetable pies in some place in Australia. None of us had noticed the footnote to the menu: 'All our pies contain meat.'

Of course mine was beef as usual (probably kangaroo or possum though). There's a whole pie culture down there. It's great if you don't mind meat.
Boy was veggie for a while, maybe 15 years ago. The Germans couldn't cope with it at all. At one of those 'family' eateries in the US, Dennys or Shoneys, they gave him a salad with chicken in it. When we drew their attention to this they said they had left the bacon out!

Deviation, sorry.
 Favourite singers. - Dog
The trouble with a lot of veg/pescatarian stuff is it's often full of additives and sugar, so IMHO an arf-decent horse burger would be the healthier option!

Even the tin of Princes Crab 'meat' I had between 2 slices the other day, was loaded with sugar ffs!
Forgot Dusty Springbok

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QzxYAjgNc
 Favourite singers. - Bromptonaut
Keeping on female theme I'v already agreed with others about Judith Durham and mentioned Karen Matheson.

Laura Branigan gives Jennifer Rush some serious competition for a rendering of 'Power of Love'.

Gracie Fields at her best had an incredible range - Song of the Mountains and Perfect Day are two examples. OTOH trying to combine her vocals with acting/comedy and then her ill health in later life produced some stuff of a much lower standard.
 Favourite singers. - Ted

Another Lancashire singer who could do quite well................when he wasn't doing the silly stuff.
George..bless him.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og3EKwG5WKU

Ted
Not sure whether she was Lancashire (Ashton-u-L) or Cheshire (Stalybidge) but the late Lynda Meeks of the Fivepenny Piece was another great songstress form that neck of the woods.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 00:22
 Favourite singers. - Armel Coussine
Bessie Smith, voice like honey even on a worn old 78...
Not well known but a great jazz singer. The late Maxine Sullivan.
Not too much of her early output on YouTube, but a few post war videos are available.
I had this LP - fab!

eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=539182
 Favourite singers. - Focusless
Love the purity and simplicity of Laura Cantrell:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBwiNyzDjFs

Plus I'm a sucker for a bit of mandolin :)
Fats Domino blue berry still love the song.I like classical music Beethoven.Country and Western some songs.Not a big Rock Fan my missus like's the Doors full blast in the morning.
Ritchy Valens shame he died so young.
>> Ritchy Valens shame he died so young.

And the others who died with him.

Buddy Holly would well up my list of male singers and was one of the first artists whose repertoire I began collecting at fifteen.

The Big Bopper (JP Richardson) was a great rocker too. Chantilly Lace lives in my playlist too.

03/02/59, Mason City Iowa - The Day the Music Died.
 Favourite singers. - CGNorwich
Maria Callas - early years. Incomparable
 Favourite singers. - Alanovich

>> Buddy Holly

Yeah. Never mind Elvis and his proto-boyband schtick. Holly was the true King of Rock'n'Roll.
More rock and roll death too.
 Favourite singers. - Pat
Don't forget Eddie Cochran.

Pat
 Favourite singers. - WillDeBeest
As someone mentioned upthread, Alison Krauss has a beautifully transparent, expressive voice. She blows away Robert Plant in their album together.

For similar purity but more vulnerability, listen to Margo Timmins in the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session, especially Misguided Angel.

And for pure, unabashed female sexual power, Emmylou Harris is thrilling verging on scary in I Don't Want to Talk About It Now.

Male? Orbison, certainly, Ian Dury for his ability to draw me into his world, and for pure oomph, the immortal - although all three of mine proved sadly too mortal - Ronnie James Dio.

Look out! The sun is going black, black.
Look out! It's never, never, never coming back.
Look out!

Favourite singers. - crocks
One of my favourite voices is Colin Blunstone.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyaIeX9wUR8

I saw him on Saturday night and his voice has matured a bit but he can still raise the hairs on the back of my neck!
 Favourite singers. - No FM2R
Johnny Cash.

In particular Hurt. ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho )

And Willie Nelson.

Favourite singers. - MD
Seekers Eh! When and where please. Judith and karen Carpenter as my favourite female singers. Spose Judith goes back to when my old Mum used to play them. Funny how things stick. As a few say here I think That Roy Orbison took some beating and like Pat, I am a big fan of Eddy's.

Must look at Zeddos choices later too, I'll look forward to that. Is Judith in there with Morning town ride? Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise..............
 Favourite singers. - commerdriver
>> Seekers Eh! When and where please. Judith and karen Carpenter as my favourite female singers.
Seekers reunion farewell tour next year, April / May in UK , got tickets for Bournemouth in May
 Favourite singers. - helicopter
True story coming up..

Talking of Buddy Holly et al..... a couple of years ago I travelled back on a plane from Crete sitting next to this American guy...... the plane was closed up very early because of bad weather over Gatwick and pretty soon we were flying through a massive thunderstorm.....

The American looked nervous and so I chatted to him and he told me his name was Kevin Montgomery....... I tried to assure him that he stood more chance of being kicked to death by a donkey than dying in a plane crash........and then he told me why he was nervous of flying.....

Kevin said he was from Nashville and a musician , he was with his band who were spread around the plane , including an old guy two rows ahead with a huge stetson which he wore throughout the flight - the old boys name was Tommy Allsup and he played with Buddy Holly on the fateful tour ....

Tommy was the man who tossed a coin with Richie Valens for a seat on the plane that crashed........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYkhlbu5hc

>> got tickets for
>> Bournemouth in May

I hate to break this to you...but that's the one we're looking at too...
 Favourite singers. - DP
Amy Lee of Evanescence. Saw them live at Brixton a few years ago. Great live band generally, but her voice really is something a bit special, IMHO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFaRUVU29IM&list=RD02PQWRz4pwJKw
>>
>> >> got tickets for
>> >> Bournemouth in May
>>
>>
>> I hate to break this to you...but that's the one we're looking at too...
Envy! They are in Nottingham, too:-(
(Only 25 miles or so down the M1)
I know what you mean Roger. It's a lot of dosh and I'm hesitating over it. Not yet pressed the button.
It's a funny one, the OP. I've been pondering it a couple of days now. I have come to the conclusion that for me the material is more important than the voice delivering it. I think that's maybe why I don't get opera.

Most of my favourite performers are singer songwriters, or bands, rather than spectacular vocalists. In fact, some even struggle to be considered singers I would think - e.g. Mark Knopfler and Bruce Springsteen. Or Billy Joel. Or James Hetfield, or Rick Witter. They sing, of course, but they're not really up there with the Sinatras etc in terms of quality of voice. And yet I'd still rather listen to Knopfler mumbling and scratching his way through Telegraph Road than someone of pure voice singing material I don't really enjoy. And, it seems to me that most people who are considered to have the best voices sing material which doesn't appeal to me.

Another two great favourites of mine are John Denver and Suzanne Vega. To my ears both have very appealing voices, and I think Denver had a far greater ability and range than he was ever given credit for. Combined with some criminally under-rated material and lyrics.

I also like Billy Bragg's material, and his appalling voice actually lends to the atmosphere of his songs.

Give me all of those any day of the week over someone who is purely a singer, performing material written by others for them, or singing cover versions.

Of the OP's list, however, Neil Diamond is one of my favourites.

Jazz singers? Shimmony-bap-boo-bee-bop-a-loada-old-bowlocks. Nice. As John Thompson used to say in Jazz Club, on the Fast Show.
 Favourite singers. - Ambo
Janet Baker.
>> It's a funny one, the OP. I've been pondering it a couple of days now.
>> I have come to the conclusion that for me the material is more important than
>> the voice delivering it. I think that's maybe why I don't get opera.
>>
>> Most of my favourite performers are singer songwriters, or bands, rather than spectacular vocalists.

Randy Newman comes into that category for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8AxNXwY_U

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEKuGcmW70I
 Favourite singers. - nice but dim
Mine - Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Ray Wilson, Chris Rea, Andy Bell, Paul Carrack, Paul Young (M+M one), Kim Beacon and Paul Weller.
 Favourite singers. - Ted

Content and singer....with phwoor factor included.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-9IvuEkreI

" The Universe was created, it seems, for Bellini to write Norma so that one day in 1954 Maria Callas could sing Casta Diva like that. "

Ted
>> Another two great favourites of mine are John Denver.

Annie's Song has been on a commercial recently, and I heard it on Strictly. Reminds me what a great song it is. I always wonder whether I'm listening to the original though, considering how much artists are influenced by their predecessors.

Many singers in indie or rock bands wouldn't say they are fantastic as outright singers, but their voice becomes part of the overall sound of a band, and what they are trying to get across. I like Frank Black from the Pixies. He has a nice tone coupled with zany lyrics and the most unexpected and ferocious roars. Kim Deal, bass player from the same band had a great voice, deep and sultry. Now she's left the band that unique sound that made the Pixies isn't there any more.
 Favourite singers. - Old Navy
Another vote for Karen Carpenter, also Judith Durham and Hayley Westenra.
 Favourite singers. - BiggerBadderDave
Fantastic Karen Carpenter. Her vocals were just perfect, married to stunning ballads.

She was one of the very few frontman singers who were actually drumming. I can only think of her and Don Henley, The Eagles. Anyone else? And no, not Phil Collins and Ringo.
 Favourite singers. - R.P.
I had a crush on her when I was a sallow youth. Superb voice, Rumer does a remarkable job of being very like her.
 Favourite singers. - BiggerBadderDave
My first crush was on Dolly Parton when I saw her singing Jolene. That would make me about 6 or 7. Fantastic lyrics. One of my favourite tunes was "I will always love you" until that vile old hag massacred it with all that wibbling and warbling. Don't ever say her name on this forum.

Three cheers for whoever held her under the bath water for a couple of minutes. Wasn't me guv.
Good grief that's an appalling thing to say about (almost) anyone, BBD. :-(

As for first crushes, that reminds me of another great favourite performer of mine. Kirsty MacColl. First saw her in a video on Top of the Tops doing her version of Billy Bragg's New England. I was 14, a late bloomer in these matters, first time I'd felt a bit wibbly about a wimmin. awful what happened to her in the end, horrific. I attended her memorial at St Martins in the Field, Billy Bragg was there and performed New England - very, very moving moment.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 01:19
My first crush on a female singer was Dusty Springfield.. Of course the news that she was "les bean", revealed in her, and my later life, merely kept the fantasy alive.
>> As for first crushes, that reminds me of another great favourite performer of mine. Kirsty
>> MacColl.

Seemed a shame that on her singles you couldn't really hear her voice because of all the harmonies loaded on top. It's like her producer(s) didn't think she could sing on her own, which AFAIK wasn't the case.
>> Seemed a shame that on her singles you couldn't really hear her voice because of
>> all the harmonies loaded on top. It's like her producer(s) didn't think she could sing
>> on her own, which AFAIK wasn't the case.

Producer was usually her husband IIRC. Very fond of multitracking her voice.
>> Producer was usually her husband IIRC. Very fond of multitracking her voice.

Found an interview where she talks about it:
www.kirstymaccoll.com/information/articles/1994/rogers/index.htm
She went down the pan when she sang with Shane MacGowan
Come on now. Greatest Christmas song of all time.
>> Come on now. Greatest Christmas song of all time.

Unfortunately, that's not saying much.
True dat.
>> My first crush was on Dolly Parton when I saw her singing Jolene. That would
>> make me about 6 or 7. Fantastic lyrics. One of my favourite tunes was "I
>> will always love you" until that vile old hag massacred it with all that wibbling
>> and warbling. Don't ever say her name on this forum.

Whitney on about?
Does it have to be singers? My first crush was definitely Louise Hall-Taylor, in Hickory House. I don't know if she's still about.
>> Does it have to be singers?

Well as this is the "Favourite Singers" thread, It might be considered prudent.
 Favourite singers. - VxFan
>> Well as this is the "Favourite Singers" thread, It might be considered prudent.

Since when has thread drift bothered you?
>> >> Well as this is the "Favourite Singers" thread, It might be considered prudent.
>>
>> Since when has thread drift bothered you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNK-9v7_JI&list=RD02nTNycV-rThY
 Favourite singers. - VxFan
>> My first crush was on Dolly Parton. Fantastic lyrics.

Is that what you call them?
How can you like Mark Knofler and not enjoy jazz? What exactly is this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQqzEQqkpM
 Favourite singers. - Dog
This is a catchy tune, no Telecasters though: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQQGi4gN6gI
Was chatting to this lady last night at a great gig in South London.......

Very powerful voice and great personality.....Sophie Shaw is her name and she will go far IMO

She sings with Al Nicholls Blue Harlem.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_3DZRoAV0

Blue Harlems last singer was Imelda May......I saw her at the same venue before she became famous...
 Favourite singers. - Dog
S'nice, reminds me of Manhattan Transfer, a bit.
>> S'nice, reminds me of Manhattan Transfer, a bit.
>>

Who I thought were called "Man, Hat and Transfer" when I were a nipper.
Oh, the hilarity at O-Level time when we were offered the chance to read "Of Mice and Men", which I assumed was something to with the German pottery industry. I was to be sorely disappointed on getting the book, as I had parsed it in my head as "Of Meissen Men". Sigh.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 16 Oct 13 at 11:25
This is probably the time to reveal that I thought for years that Boots was called "the disappearing chemist". I misread the sign when I was about 5, and didn't question it until I was about 10.
 Favourite singers. - Clk Sec
And I thought a Free House was exactly that...
 Favourite singers. - Maisie's Dad
When younger, I always thought that car bloke on the telly was called Tiffany Dell.
 Favourite singers. - Dog
I'd most likely be 'labled' dyslexic / add / adhd / asd / acdc, if I was a kyd today, I read words the way I see 'em, and even when I'm corrected I still use my, um, system.

Take nuance for instance, my brain sees it as nawnce, so I say it as nawnce (er inddors rolled up the other day!)

There are words a'plenty like that where I pronounce them my way ... I was a difficult child :)
 Favourite singers. - Duncan
>> my brain sees it as nawnce, so I say it as>> nawnce
>>

Nawnce - nawnce?

Isn't that one of those blokes in prison who can't be allowed to mix with the ordinary prisoners for his own safety?

"Ear, you nawnce!"
 Favourite singers. - Dog
My learned friend does jest - he knows a nonce is a nonce is a nonce.
When I was a lad I used to think Desmond Dekker was singing......

Get up in the morning ....

Baked Beans for breakfast.....

Ooh Oh ...

My ears are alight....
Ears? Other end, surely.
 Favourite singers. - Dog
I shouldn't really tell you this but ... I used to think DD was singing get up in the morning, baby for breakfast!

(*_*)
www.kissthisguy.com/funny.php

Might as well face it, your a dick with a glove
That was Michael Jackson, wasn't it?

;-)
When I was a lad I used to think Desmond Dekker was singing......
 Favourite singers. - Runfer D'Hills
I like Bonnie Tyler's "It's a hard egg"
 Favourite singers. - No FM2R
Madonna's "The girl with eyes like potatoes".
 Favourite singers. - Ted

I used to think Sandy Gall was the newsreader brother of French President Charles De Gaulle.....Sam De Gaulle.

Ted
 Favourite singers. - Dog
This is one of Ray's Faves, you wont beat it, so don't even try: www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8

:}
2 male nominations, based on fantastic live performances:

CeeLo Green, singing 'Crazy' with Gnarls Berkley (great slower version):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPpnAmmySI

Then going back a bit further, anyone remember duo McAlmont (singer) and Butler (Suede guitarist)?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwp0G9LVuAY
Latest Forum Posts