Non-motoring > Silent Phone Calls. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 16

Silent Phone Calls. - maltrap
I,m getting phone calls twice a day from the same number, when i answer it, it,s silent.The number starts 0433 i,m wondering if it, a premium rate number and they,re hoping i,ll ring back. Can anyone advie me on how to stop these nuisance calls?
 Silent Phone Calls. - R.P.
Google the number.
 Silent Phone Calls. - teabelly
If you join the tps (telephone preference service) then this should stop lots of marketing calls. Also there is another register which puts you on a do not call list for automated diallers. Only works for UK numbers though.

I just let the answerphone pick up if I don't recognise the number....

Was in the paper the other day that ofcom are supposed to be setting limits on silent calls.

Personally I think all outgoing cold calling should be banned. Any marketing should be opt in and every company should have to announce where they got your number from before they start trying to sell you anything if you have either opted in or they are part of a company you already deal with.

I also think anonymous call reject should be made free for all phone providers too.
 Silent Phone Calls. - John H

>> hoping i,ll ring back. Can anyone advie me on how to stop these nuisance calls?
>>
>>

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/silentcalls/condoc.pdf
 Silent Phone Calls. - Armel Coussine
Do you all listen carefully for heavy breathing when you get these calls? Perhaps you are being stalked by a wicked man.

'Miss Twye was soaping her breasts in the bath
When behind her she heard a meaning laugh
And to her amazement she discovered
A wicked man in the bathroom cupboard.'

(Gavin Ewart I think)
 Silent Phone Calls. - Clk Sec
And:

www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/news2.html
 Silent Phone Calls. - AnotherJohnH
this place may give a clue if others are plagued by the same number:

whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/043/m
 Silent Phone Calls. - Stuartli
The TPS service does a good job, but it can't help with calls made from (usually) abroad.

Most silent calls are due to the fact that the system involved makes many calls at the same time and works on the fact that some will be answered; more often than not those who pick up the phone get no response other than silence.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 3 Jun 10 at 23:17
 Silent Phone Calls. - Ted

I heard, or read, somewhere recently that Oftel are going to clamp down on these multiple,' see who picks up first ' calls.
I've been with both the TPS and the MPS for years and it has reduced the number coming in.

If I get a voice, especially in the evening, which is a no-no time for me, then I sometimes have a bit of fun.

I pretend I can't hear anyone and shout ' hello ' or ' is there anyone there ' down the phone whilst making stage comments to an imaginary person next to me that ' there's nobody there ! '

Can't resist it. I was told by one DG salesman that he would effin well come round and ' do ' me after I hung up on him and he rang back....I hung up again....end of !
Ooh...I were reet vexed !

Ted

Silent Phone Calls. - Clk Sec
If I don't hear the callers voice within a few seconds, the 'phone goes down. Occasional collateral damage with this method, though.
 Silent Phone Calls. - L'escargot
silentcall-gard ............... www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

Registration is for 12 months at a time. I assume there are no hidden drawbacks, but I could be wrong!
 Silent Phone Calls. - Dog
I don't get any nuisance, silent or cold calls at all, ever ... but then I don't get that many calls anyway ...
hello, hello.
Also ... I don't ever not never get even one single slice of spam in my inbox!
 Silent Phone Calls. - movilogo
If you have a smart phone, you can use free app to block any number you want.
 Silent Phone Calls. - Iffy
...I don't get any nuisance, silent or cold calls at all, ever ... but then I don't get that many calls anyway ...hello, hello...

Me neither - Billy No Mates.

I'd be tempted to bin the landline if it wasn't for the broadband.

And a landline number can come in handy as an indication of stability.

I was filling a form in a while ago for something I can't quite remember, but it asked for a landline number, and gave the impression applicants without one would be declined.

Silent Phone Calls. - VxFan
>> I was filling a form in a while ago for something I can't quite remember,
>> but it asked for a landline number, and gave the impression applicants without one would be declined.

If I'm ever unsure, then the number 01234 567890 gets entered.
 Silent Phone Calls. - bathtub tom
>>If I'm ever unsure, then the number 01234 567890 gets entered.

I worked in the same office as they guy that, erm, 'allocated' himself that number. He soon got rid of it. ;>)
 Silent Phone Calls. - Dog
->Me neither - Billy No Mates.<-

Tehe ~ That's what we call our 10 year old Ridgeback, I'm his mate though :)
Trouble is that as I get older, I know more people up the boneyard than I do in the village!

I could do without a landline as well, except for the ww of course,
It could be that businesses require a landline No. because it tells them who & where you are,
whereas with a mobile No. you could be no fixed abode,
If I'm buying say a 2nd hand car or someone puts a card through the door advertising gardening services or rubbish clearance etc., if its only got a mob No. I wouldn't touch em.
Latest Forum Posts