Non-motoring > ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 47

ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Zero
Turned on Humax just now, ready to record stuff

"NOTHING Broadcast on this channel" message

WTF? fiddle fiddle, reboot reboot... Nothing

Torch outside, NO AERIAL! The pole has snapped, aerial is somewhere on roof. Damn windy last night.

Been using freesat all day, damned annoying I could have fixed it today.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 Oct 13 at 20:47
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Dog
>>Damn windy last night.

Wear aboots exactly do you live in India then Sahib?
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Old Navy
Do you really need an outside aerial ? Even here way north of Watford a loft aerial works perfectly.
>> Do you really need an outside aerial ? Even here way north of Watford a
>> loft aerial works perfectly.

Yes, I have no space in the loft for an Aerial. There are two bedrooms up there in the roof.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Runfer D'Hills
>>There are two bedrooms up there in the roof.

Something going on re asylum seekers or what?
>> >>There are two bedrooms up there in the roof.
>>
>> Something going on re asylum seekers or what?

They are paying rent for the shed.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Runfer D'Hills
Clever, I guess you're not able to drive it everyday now then?
Clever, I guess you're not able to drive it everyday now then?

Yes? How else do I collect them at Dover?
>> >>There are two bedrooms up there in the roof.
>>
>> Something going on re asylum seekers or what?
>>

I have no intention of turning my bungalow into a hotel, worse than asylum seekers, the kids might want to move back. :-)
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Clk Sec
>>There are two bedrooms up there in the roof.

It seems that the majority of newly built houses, particularly those that are detached, have two bedrooms in the roof space. Cold in the winter - hot in the summer, I expect. Not unlike properties with a flat roof.

>> two bedrooms in the roof space. Cold in the winter - hot in the summer,

Yeah, its excellent. Kids leave home early and guests dont stay long.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - borasport
And exactly what is it that demands you watch it now.... ?
>> And exactly what is it that demands you watch it now.... ?

I have no aerial feed to the PVR. I would have liked to have recorded the prog about the 70s and the car industry. I would also like to have recorded the Japanese GP.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - ....
Can you not use iPlayer as your fallback?
Presumably you don't want to get up to watch live tomorrow am.
I'll have to, its just so annoying I didn't know and left it dangling there all day.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - ....
Need to have a word with your groundsman tell him to get his finger out ;-)
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - MD
Rooms in the Roof Eh! Luxury, Blooody Luxury.......x
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - smokie
Got an Android and a Smart TV? Get TV Catchup and throw it to the TV. No recording capability though.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - rtj70
>> TV Catchup

They have been forced to remove ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc.

www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a523079/tvcatchup-forced-to-remove-21-itv-channel-4-and-channel-5-live-streams.html
 TV Catchup - Duncan
>> They have been forced to remove ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc.
>>
>> www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a523079/tvcatchup-forced-to-remove-21-itv-channel-4-and-channel-5-live-streams.html
>>

Why?

What useful purpose does it serve ITV if fewer people can watch their programmes?
 TV Catchup - Zero
Godamn.

Was happily watching it on Iplayer, via the watch live/restart current program option, but then it dropped, I cant reuse the "watch no/restart option" because it no longer on live, and its not yet on iplayer. And I cant remember what lap number I was on when it does come up there.

Grumble moan
 TV Catchup - rtj70
It's annoying when that happens - I think it's only happened to me when watching F1 too.

Probably not on iPlayer until much later today because the re-run is shown this afternoon... So you could watch the rerun this afternoon starting at 2pm. So it will be much later today when you can watch it.
 TV Catchup - CGNorwich
Loss of advertising revenue.

You can of course continue to watch on line via the broadcaster's own website.
Still works on those channels at the moment... not that bothered if I lose those channels anyway - mainly a Beeb man meself
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Robin O'Reliant
Unrelated question, but if you're watching something on the red button can you record it?
>> Unrelated question, but if you're watching something on the red button can you record it?

depends on what kit you have. (tele and recorder)
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Robin O'Reliant

>> depends on what kit you have. (tele and recorder)
>>

Youview box.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Focusless
>> >> depends on what kit you have. (tele and recorder)
>>
>> Youview box.

Red button AFAIK is freeview ch 301 plus menus?

www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels/categories/interactive/bbc-red-button-2
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 08:42
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Ted

- mainly a Beeb man meself
>>

.......mainly a Boob man here !

Ted
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Dutchie
No clue about all these modern gizmo's on the Telly.I use to record programs and never watched them to I'm to inpatient more so as I got older.
>> No clue about all these modern gizmo's on the Telly.

You're not alone there. We've got a DVD recorder which works very well for us, but as for the rest of it...
Slight thread drift here, as it's barely worth a new thread...

But we've got a Panasonic 42" TV that's not very old, and the keys (virtually all of them) on the remote are sticking, to the extent that it's almost unusable.

There's no sticky fingers around, so it isn't a cleanliness problem. And I've already tried to dismantle it by removing the 3 visible screws to see if it's anything obvious, but it doesn't want to come apart.

Anyone else had the same problem?
Are they physically sticking or just not responding? Failure to respond could be other infra red sources in the room, I'm told you can use a digital camera to find them.
They're physically sticking, smokie.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - No FM2R
Do you think it is the piece of rubber sticking, or the micro switch under it?

Copious application of Pledge (other household polishes are available) will usually solve any rubber stickiness.

If you want to take the remote apart then as well as screws it clips together. You need to prise it open until the clips spring. You are not likely to damage the clips, but you have to be careful with the prising not to damage the case.

Inside you will find a rubber sheet (which are the buttons) with little hard contacts where the actual button is, and that will be lying on top of a small PCB where the actual switches are.

However, I would think that its a rubber/case problem, so go the polish route first.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - No FM2R
p.s. In our house it happens often, but its sticky fingers driven.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - sajid
zero watch your fave program on dvd or on hd it called ukborder police think that works on freesat without the arial

When our remote started to die I bought a new one. A new genuine SONY remote was only about a tenner.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 15:53
>> If you want to take the remote apart then as well as screws it clips
>> together. You need to prise it open until the clips spring. You are not likely
>> to damage the clips, but you have to be careful with the prising not to
>> damage the case.
>> Inside you will find a rubber sheet (which are the buttons) with little hard contacts
>> where the actual button is, and that will be lying on top of a small
>> PCB where the actual switches are.
>> However, I would think that its a rubber/case problem, so go the polish route first.

Many thanks for your advice, No FM2R. It's working a treat now.
 ARGHHHHHH No terrestrial TV - Alanovich
Are you still with us Z or did you take the Rod Hull approach to aerial maintenance?
Helping my lad move back home (temporarily I hope). I need to go and collect my ladders from my mothers place, so Laddo can help me with it tomorrow. I have however cabled up his sky box to my spare sat lead, that can record.
>> Helping my lad move back home (temporarily I hope).>>

Ah, the curse of too many bedrooms. :-)
indeed
Fixed.

Removed old pole, Lovely break NC would be interested in it, its happened at the clamp where the pole is deformed a little, clearly been cracked at the flat part of the support for a while as the break is dirty, and its slowly been parting and wind has torn the aluminium pole down

Old pole was 1" new one is 1.5" should be stronger (its only 6 foot long)

Had to fix a few bent collector elements and the main reflector, and while I was up there I slapped a couple of extra feeds into the dish LNB as laddo has arrived home with a couple of fully paid up sky multi room boxes.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 16:11
Hmmm, Not bad Terrestrial signal is now 79% strength and 100% quality. Little or no error correction.
Sounds like it is pointing in roughly the right direction. My loft aerial runs at 98% strength, 100% quality, 0 correction and AGC at 78. I set it up with an orienteering compass, I know the rough direction of the transmitter but can't see through the roof, a website gave the bearing from my postcode. I needed a masthead amplifier before the digital switchover and had poorer results.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 17:07
I drew a line on google earth between my chimney and crystal palace transmitter. Where that line crossed my neighbours roof, I pointed mine in that direction, its 19.3 miles.

A doddle if you can see the scenery, not difficult if you can't. :-)
Latest Forum Posts