Non-motoring > Last of the Summer Wine cancelled Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 20

Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Stuu
Cant believe its going really. I remember sitting on the floor infront of my dads armchair watching this in the 80's. Still makes me chuckle now. I guess Graham Norton is the future. Oh dear.

If anyone is interested: www.ipetitions.com/petition/wewantsummerwine/
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - helicopter
Good Riddance to it I say...

Most unfunny so called 'comedy' programme on television..........

It had overstayed its welcome 30 years ago.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Bigtee
It had overstayed its welcome 30 years ago.

There is plenty more overstayed like Eastenders! and a few more.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Zero
good ridance, it was carp.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Iffy
I couldn't get away with it, but it was required viewing among the older members of my family in the 1970s.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Ted

I enjoyed it in the early days when Michael Bates was in it.
Seems to me now it's just become a repository for aging actors as a last fling before going to entertain the Grim Reaper .

Ted
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - R.P.
Perfectly put - I stopped watching it when Foggy went.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - -
Ah yes Foggy and the real Compo, haven't been bothered with it since.

One of our favourite moments was the perfect timing of tea drinking by the various SWMBO's, and seeing just how deep in the mire Howard could dig himself.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Harleyman
>> Ah yes Foggy and the real Compo, haven't been bothered with it since.

Likewise GB.

I sometimes watch the old 'uns on Youtube during an idle moment, being half a Yorkshireman it probably appealed more to me than some others.

The two programmes which dealt with Compo's death and funeral were brilliant; a genuine tribute to a well-loved TV comedy institution.

Most of us have met people at some time in our lives who strongly resemble characters from Roy Clarke's sitcoms; that to me is the great beauty of LOTSW and Open All Hours. Chap who ran the old-fashioned garage in the next village to me could have been the model for Wesley.

I never quite cared for Keeping Up Appearances, it wasn't quite as subtle.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 3 Jun 10 at 21:07
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Stuu
>>The two programmes which dealt with Compo's death and funeral were brilliant; a genuine tribute to a well-loved TV comedy institution.<<

Certainly marked the passage of time for me. I remember Clegg saying that 'it doesnt seem 5 minutes since we were at school' - maybe because I had not long turned 30 and realised that the years seemed to be rolling by somewhat quicker than they used to, it struck a chord with me.
It really doesnt seem that long ago.

I guess sometimes, in todays world of loud, crude rather obvious attempts to make us laugh, it has a bit of class in that it never gave into that. Still, it seems crude is order of the day now, subtle humour is out.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - RattleandSmoke
I used to love it when Compo/Foggy and the other one (placed by Peter Sellers) was in it but in the past ten years its just got really silly. Just the same old stuff. I think it is right to call it a day.

Peter Sallis.....also Wallace of Gromet fame, Rats. 91 yrs old.

Ted
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Fursty Ferret
Stopped watching it when Foggy left. However, I have sat in the little cafe in Holmfirth and slurped tea out of the saucer in true LOTSW fashion, much to the horror of some more boring tourists sitting next to me.

Though I suppose all 4 of us shouldn't have done it in unison.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - R.P.
Haha ! Wish I was there to see that !
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Redviper
I used to like it years ago when watching with parents etc as a child but as with all other of Roy Clarkes sitcoms it becomes repetative which makes it boring.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - VxFan
For my parents 40th wedding anniversary (1996 I think) I paid for them to go on a coach holiday to the area where LOTSW and Heartbeat were filmed. They both thoroughly enjoyed it.
For anyone who wants to have a look-see on the map, Heartbeat is filmed in and around Goathland in Yorkshire.
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - crocks
Made a detour there a few years ago on the way back from Whitby. Beautiful part of the country. Lots of the Aidensfield signs looked fairly permanent as this link on Google Streetview shows.
tinyurl.com/2co2td6
...signs look fairly permanent...

When I first visited about eight or 10 years ago, the garage was still a garage run by a man called Bob.

He was tinkering with an old motorbike when I called in.

I took some friends there a couple of years ago and was a bit disappointed to discover the garage is now little more than themed attraction selling Heartbeat souvenirs.

Can't blame Bob, though, running a country garage is hard work, and if he can make more by selling tat to tourists, good luck to him.

Our control room was in Huddersfield...still is...top floors of the Station.
I recall nipping out for a stroll in my lunch break, I think it was a Sunday.
Entering the main shopping street, I was stopped by a spotty yoof with a clipboard who told me I could walk down the street but I mustn't look at the actors filming. It was Kathy Staff and others outside a shop.

No please or thank you, arrogant little sod !
Probably director general now.
Of course, I walked past and stared at them....probably wouldn't have noticed them if he hadn't said.

Another time I was watching a documentary at home and a bit came on about female circumcision in the Islamic community, don't even think about asking me why, but there was I striding towards the camera in the Station Square. I remembered seeing the filming, but of course I didn't know what it was at the time. You couldn't make it up !

Ted
 Last of the Summer Wine cancelled - Ian (Cape Town)
Wot? You mean is was supposed to be, intentionally, funny?
Latest Forum Posts