Non-motoring > Amazon Prices... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 12

Amazon Prices... - R.P.
Treated myself to a new compact camera the other day - (Canon Ixus 240HS) - Play.com undercut Amazon by around six quid ( 119 vs 124) - anyway the camera has arrived and it's remarkable bit of tech for not much money...anyway the Amazon page was still open on the computer I bought it on. Refreshed the page and the Amazon price showed £99.00 !

Anyway I was looking at getting a little case for it on my other machine and found that the Amazon price was now back to £124 (I was logged out of my account on this) - no way was I able to replicate the £99.00 price I saw a few minutes earlier on that machine. Are prices being customized to specific customers...?
 Amazon Prices... - Zero
Yes. In a word. Kind-of.

Tip, if you need to buy stuff int he jungle, look at it a few times first, you'll find, as you did, the price will come down.

If something gets hits for views but no sales, Amazons very clever pricing algorithm nudges the price down.

If something gets hits and lots of buys, the price nudges up.

Prices fluctuate daily, hourly on fast selling lines.

Amazon pricing is very very sophisticated.
 Amazon Prices... - Crankcase
And there were some experiments in the States last year that yielded different pricing according to browser, as well as time of day. I don't know if that's spread into the real world, but I wouldn't be surprised.
 Amazon Prices... - smokie
You can track Amazon prices on a product, and create price watches and alerts, on this page uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

Don't Amazon have a policy of refunding is a product dips below your purchase price within a certain time?
 Amazon Prices... - Manatee
Good link that Smokie.
 Amazon Prices... - Clk Sec
>> Good link that Smokie.
>>

Ditto.
 Amazon Prices... - sherlock47
You could have saved£16 by buying a PINK one! (as at Now).

Amazon Prices... - R.P.
I spotted that..
 Amazon Prices... - Baz
That is a very interesting and useful piece of advice thanks! I have suspected some sort of manipulating lately when looking at printers on various sites. Would clearing down history and cookies etc be beneficial?
 Amazon Prices... - Rudedog
I've found that the price slowly creeps up as the stock levels fall, if you add an item to your Wish List then the price is constantly tracked and changed showing the new cheaper price (just beware that the displayed price doesn't always include delivery).

Also I'd be interested to know how much (if any) business Amazon has lost due to their change of policy around free delivery on certain items below £10, I've gone else where for small items since the change.
 Amazon Prices... - Tigger
I'd like to have the option of seeing the prices being displayed including delivery. Too often it brings up a third party seller with a large postage fee.

Amazon Prices... - ....
Amazon also have two prices for the same item depending on what you search for. Look for a Brodit holder for an HTC X and for the X+. Same piece of kit one is 20€ the other 26€.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 19:18
 Amazon Prices... - Boxsterboy
We were looking at a specific Club Med holiday recently, and every time we looked (every day or so) the price would change (up). Then we left it for a week or so and the price was back down again. I'm sure they too have clever software tracking your activity on their site.
Latest Forum Posts