Non-motoring > Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 10

Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - RattleandSmoke
With my two visits to Spain this year I have been neglecting the UK and I am missing the joy's of the UK railway network. Cardiff is a city I really liked when I visited last year, people were 'friendly' and the night life was very much geared towards alternative music, more so than any other city I have been to outside of Manchester.

Been playing about with train and hotel sites, and the two cheapest times I can go is next week or the first week in November. Next week is too soon as I only got back from Spain a month ago but I thought a nice two day break in early November will break the winter up a little bit. I can go to Cardiff staying in a basic but decent hotel for around £80.00 for two nights, that includes return train fare and the hotel!! The problem is I know at that time of the year it is likely to be a complete wash out. My evenings are covered but what can I do in the day time if it rains? I normally tend to spend all day exploring the city on foot and maybe get a bus or train some where local. I missed Caerphilly Castle so will go there one day but if it is a wash out even that might not be pleasant.

So has anybody got any ideas of where I can visit in the South Wales area cheaply while I am down there? Already been to Bristol, but I was thinking maybe visiting Bath but not checked train prices, will probably be more than the Manchester to Cardiff journey (train fares are not logical!).

Did think about a night in London, but the cheapest decent hotels start around £100 and it is just not worth it. These days with London is I tend just spent several hours there before making a connection else where.

Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Roger.
www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/historic-buildings/
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Bromptonaut
The sennedd down on the bay is worth a look too.
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - RattleandSmoke
Yeah I went down to the bay last time :). Thanks for the suggestions about museums etc. Last time I was there it was a bit random so I didn't know anything about the place so I missed a lot of the culture.

Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Fursty Ferret
It's South Wales. Of course it'll be a washout. Shouldn't cause a problem, though!
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Harleyman
We stayed overnight in Cardiff last year; had tickets for a cricket match on the Sunday then we were off on our hols on the bikes on Monday.

Stayed here;

www.hotelcardiff.com/

Fairly basic, quirky landlady (we didn't have any issues with her though) but cheap and very central. Recommended for bikers too as they have a lockable courtyard round the back.

Good public transport around the city, plenty of pubs and eateries and as you say an excellent music scene. I'll second the Museum of Welsh Life as a worthwhile visit, entry is free though it's a fair bus ride to get to.
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Duncan
You could stay here Rattley:-

tinyurl.com/muzaufr

Not far away, good food, good beer, sensible prices, friendly girls, what more could any chap want?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 06:03
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Clk Sec
I must try that one next time I'm in Cardiff. Another of the Wetherspoons chain.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 06:12
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Duncan
>> I must try that one next time I'm in Cardiff. Another of the Wetherspoons chain.
>>

Er. Newport, ackcherly. Still, not far away and you don't get so many rugby types in Newport!
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - R.P.
Newport is a dump - currently the scene of a turf-war between drug dealers from Cardiff and Bristol.
 Cardiff early November - Will it be a wash out? - Crankcase
We were in South Wales in the summer and very much enjoyed

www.showcaves.co.uk/

But

a) We like weird stuff

b) Our combined mental age is nine

c) It's an hour's drive from Cardiff so I have no idea why I'm even continuing to ty
Latest Forum Posts