Non-motoring > National Geographics anyone?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 21

National Geographics anyone?? - PhilW
A very kindly Uncle gave me a subscription to National Geographic in the early '60s. This continued until the early 2000s. I continued it until a few years ago. In addition a kindly (?)person gave me loads from the 1930s and 1940s, many of which were unopened and in original envelopes. These all occupy a considerable space in a cupboard and Mrs W wants a clear out. I have no use for them and can't be bothered to stick them on ebay or elsewhere for pennies.
So, if anyone wants half a ton of Nat Geogs or can suggest a use for them they will be re-cycled.
Any offers or ideas? (they are going for free!!)
(A pile of them would make a good axle stand! Or a few years worth in the boot would get those BMs and MBs going through the snow and if you were still stuck a bit of searching might find a bare African lady to look at while waiting for tow truck!)
 National Geographics anyone?? - Armel Coussine
I loved National Geographic when I was a child. The photos were often good, the text rather creaking and American. But what I really loved from the age of 10 or so was the advertisements for Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers and all the rest.

Big cars in our part of the world tended to be black. In the US apparently they weren't just all big, not to say gigantic, but they were all the colours of the rainbow with chrome gracenotes... aesthetic bliss.

Chrysler Corp car ads used the technique of having small people in them to make the cars look even bigger. Rootes Group, which later became part of Chrysler, did the same thing here. Look at some old ads if you don't believe me.
 National Geographics anyone?? - Ted

HaHa...so did Jowett, Lud. I have some post-war sales stuff with 6 people sat 3 abreast in the Javelin with plenty of elbow room. A woman in one picture is winding down the spare wheel. Against the car she looks about 3 ft tall. Not real people of course, just artwork.

Ted
 National Geographics anyone?? - Cliff Pope
>>. But what I really loved from the age of 10
>> or so was the advertisements for Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers and all the rest.
>>
>>

Gosh yes, I'd forgotten them.
I remember one add that impressed me, demonstrating the advantage of one particular car which despite its enormous overhanging trunk still had ground clearance when turning into the all-American open-plan property.

I remember hitchking in Germany in about 1965 with some school friends and getting a lift from a US GI. The car had three rows of bench seats, in soft creamy leather, and still felt empty with six of us. Electric soft-top, silent effortless engine, a dashboard twinkling like a juke box, and a soft ride that felt like floating on cottonwool.

It's depressing seeing film of modern-day America. Why don't they have nice cars any more?
"I loved National Geographic when I was a child. The photos were often good, the text rather creaking and American. But what I really loved from the age of 10 or so was the advertisements for Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers and all the rest."

So, would you like to relive those days courtesy of about 500 Nat Geog Mags available free?
Come and collect!!
>> Come and collect!!

Thanks PhilW, but no thanks. That was then, now is now. And anyway we have about 100 tons of bumf to go through and purge. No space for more.
 National Geographics anyone?? - CGNorwich
Can't interest you in 532 copies of the Reader's Digest then?
 National Geographics anyone?? - Kevin
We found about a dozen copies of 'Club' when we cleared out the loft a few months ago. All dated from when the house was rented out while we were living in the US.

They weren't golf magazines.
>> 532 copies of the Reader's Digest

'I screwed a bear for the FBI - and found God!'

Shudder... again, no thanks.
 National Geographics anyone?? - sherlock47
>>Any offers or ideas?<<

Since the content does not generally go out of date, (ok the 30s 40s are more history than current), I would provide them to either your GPs surgery or hospital waiting rooms.

In our large local hospital there appears to be no coherent management, (of the various waiting areas :) ) and individual donations of magazines are welcome.

PS where are you?
Sherlock,
I'm in Leics.
I tried several years ago to offer them to local schools, libraries and doctors but none of them knew what to do with 500 old mags!! It would be a bit of a pain giving just a few to each place even if they wanted them. They didn't want the old ones at all - only those that were recent - ie, passed on each month as they were read and finished with.
P
 National Geographics anyone?? - No FM2R
ebay?
 National Geographics anyone?? - Focusless
>> ebay?

Yes - 1p starting price, no reserve, collection only, someone might take them off your hands.

Alternatively, assuming you don't want any money for them, try the local Freecycle?
 National Geographics anyone?? - The Nut
>> Yes - 1p starting price, no reserve, collection only, someone might take them off your
>> hands.
Someone will probably want them if they look like a bargain. Disposed of an old server this way a couple of years ago, 100lbs+, 8 hdd's and sounded like a hovercraft, no real use to anyone but someone paid £1 for it so that saved me carting it to the dump.
 National Geographics anyone?? - CGNorwich
You can buy a complete facsimile of every National Geographic magazine published in the last 123 years on 7 DVDs for $49.99

Guaranteed cure for insomnia
 National Geographics anyone?? - Crankcase
This thread is like pouring gin into a swimming pool and giving free tickets to a chloralomaniac for me, but I am resisting strongly the urge to collect 500 National Geographics, though it breaks my heart. The storage space alone is a deal breaker.

DVDs are no good to me - can't do proper cutting and sticking on a Sunday afternoon by the fire with those.

I shall have to pass.
 National Geographics anyone?? - Roger.
The only reason to look at the Nat. Geo. magazine, in days of tore, was all the picture of bare-breasted women doing tribal African dances. :-)
I can only assume you had a seat in Row A of Ipi Tombi, Roger.
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps - might try ebay for the whole lot or failing that, Freecycle.
However, sounds like Crankcase might be tempted - enough to keep you cutting and sticking by the fire for a couple of Sundays (decades?) - come on CC - you know you want them!!
;-)
P
Ah Phil, get thee behind me.

There are sighings and hand wrenchings at Crankcase Towers, but the little upturned face with pleading eyes will have to be disappointed once more. That's me. She doesn't want them, as apparently we have to leave space for three cushions, two hats and a handbag.

So it's off to eBay with them, or Gumtree, or Freecycle, or any of the myriad other undeserving homes. Sorry.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 19:02
"but the little upturned face with pleading eyes will have to be disappointed once more. That's me. She doesn't want them, as apparently we have to leave space for three cushions, two hats and a handbag."

CC, you are not even trying!!
I reckon "she" would love an extra cushion, another hat and an extra posh handbag.
So, slip her a few quid and wish her luck in her hunt for those items. While she is shopping (should take at least a week to get those items!!), you have cleared a space in your shed (garage?), nipped over to Leics, loaded up 3 tons of Nat Geogs, got back home and bunged them in the shed or garage. She will never know (does any woman ever set foot in "the shed"?? or the garage!)
And if she ever queries your supply of Nat Geogs it's the old "Oh just found an old one in the shed I didn't know I had" or "It's an old one I missed before"
Simple!! :-)
See you soon!!
P
Or, "Bloomin' heck, these fly tippers are getting worse and worse - someone's dumped a load of Nat Geogs on the front drive"

Flytipper Phil
Latest Forum Posts