Non-motoring > Education failure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 43

Education failure - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24433320

The Emperor has no clothes - official.

Despite the staggering improvements in grades achieved, England's young people "have scored among the lowest results in the industrialised world in international literacy and numeracy tests."

And "Unlike other developed countries, the study also showed that young people in England are no better at these tests than older people, in the 55 to 65 age range."

Is there anybody who didn't know this, apart from the people supposedly measuring it, who were just marking their own homework?

Contrast

'shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt defended Labour's record.

"Labour drove up standards in maths and English across our schools, evident in the huge improvements we saw in GCSE results between 1997 and 2010."'

with

"This landmark study from the OECD set out to measure the level of skills within the adult population - testing actual ability in literacy, numeracy and digital skills, rather than looking at qualifications."
 Education failure - Zero
Here is a theory.

Gov demands results in exams, therefore schools teach kids to pass exams, not educate them.

True/False Discuss.

Kids are put under exam pressure at too young an age

True / False discuss.

Also I have never worked out why exam results are "normalised" That is grade level requirements are altered to meet a % of passes. This is no basis for improvement, merely dumbing down the whole process.

Education failure - Bromptonaut
>> Also I have never worked out why exam results are "normalised" That is grade level
>> requirements are altered to meet a % of passes. This is no basis for improvement,
>> merely dumbing down the whole process.

Two ways of marking.

In one the examiner aims to the hurdles at the same height year/year. In that case it's possible that, like in athletics with those doing 100m in under 10 secs or a mile in under three minutes, numbers clearing the hurdles can increase over time. More kids get an A* in 2013 than did in 2003

Other argument says cohort/cohort kids should be roughly same. You aim to set the exam hurdles at same height but even if timings improve you still give A* to top 5% and A to next 15%.

Which is right?
 Education failure - Zero

>> Other argument says cohort/cohort kids should be roughly same. You aim to set the exam
>> hurdles at same height but even if timings improve you still give A* to top
>> 5% and A to next 15%.

But one year timings fall, so you drop the hurdles to give A* to the top 5% and A to the next 15%. (its happened - it happened last term in certain subjects/boards)

By the next exam you are now TWO years behind an aggregate improvement. Normalisation should NEVER be down. You want improvement? you up the hurdles. IF no % of A* make it, so be it, the teachers have to to up the game to meet it next time.

Neither of those is what educationalists call normalisation, which is something else - basically an adjustment for the difficulty of the exam, or different options that students might take within a subject.

The percentiles thing is OK to me as long as you know what it is. It just ranks a cohort.

Absolute standards are a nice ideal, but unfortunately the same test can't be used year after year. Curricula change anyway.

There's no reason not to do both. Use percentile based exams for university applications, and use some objective skills tests on random samples to test the system's effectiveness separately from the students' relative performance in their exams.

Teachers have always taught to the test. My French teacher, who realized I lacked application in the subject, told me if I got all the verbs right I would still have enough marks to pass my O level. I abandoned the vocab and learnt the verbs. She was right.
>> Contrast
>>
>> 'shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt defended Labour's record.
>>
>> "Labour drove up standards in maths and English across our schools, evident in the huge
>> improvements we saw in GCSE results between 1997 and 2010."'
>>
>> with
>>
>> "This landmark study from the OECD set out to measure the level of skills within
>> the adult population - testing actual ability in literacy, numeracy and digital skills, rather than
>> looking at qualifications."

There's no inconsistency between those two statements. The kids who get 5 A* to C or better at GCSE ic Maths/English might theoretically comprise 70% of any year cohort.

If the other 30%, who will never get GCSE C while they have a hole in their bottom, are ignored then you get the problem outlined by this research.

Zero is, possibly excluding his final para, on the right track.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 8 Oct 13 at 19:11
>> There's no inconsistency between those two statements. The kids who get 5 A* to C
>> or better at GCSE ic Maths/English might theoretically comprise 70% of any year cohort.
>>
>> If the other 30%, who will never get GCSE C while they have a hole
>> in their bottom, are ignored then you get the problem outlined by this research.

We know that isn't the explanation here. If 70% were really doing well, we wouldn't have a problem.
>> We know that isn't the explanation here. If 70% were really doing well, we wouldn't
>> have a problem.

Yes we would. If the other 30% were illiterate and innumerate, at a level where they couldn't read the Sun or check their change, we'd have a massive problem

In reality the scores are more nuanced than that. I still maintain, in the circs quoted in this survey, the problem is with those failed by an over emphasis on GCSE A* to C rather than those clearing a GCSE C hurdle that's alleged to be too low.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 8 Oct 13 at 20:11
Do you seriously think there has been no serious grade inflation?

www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/17/gcse-exams-replaced-ebacc-history-pass-rates
>> Do you seriously think there has been no serious grade inflation?
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/17/gcse-exams-replaced-ebacc-history-pass-rates

Grade inflation may or may not happen. For purpose of this debate I'l' assume it has, but it's not the issue at stake.

We're talking about kids this year or last with less literacy/numeracy than their, presumably largely Secondary Modern educated, grandparents. They'e not in the GCSE A* to C cohort. They are the one's an education system focussed on A* to C is failing.
The point is that on average they are no better than their parents/grandparents. You seem to be suggesting that is because the average is dragged down by the bottom layers getting worse, despite the majority getting better.

Is there any evidence for that, anecdotal or otherwise? I can't prove it either way but it sounds unlikely to me.

My hypothesis is that pupils have always fulfilled their teachers expectations to a large extent. In a class of 30, the teacher will be content if the perceived thick ones aren't making too much noise and leave it at that and put their effort into the brighter ones.
Actually Bromp, I hadn't read far enough down that Grauniad link.

The table of % by grade cover A-G+U. So you could try to use that to prove your point.
>> Actually Bromp, I hadn't read far enough down that Grauniad link.
>>
>> The table of % by grade cover A-G+U. So you could try to use that
>> to prove your point.

We're still arguing, as the lawyers say, from different premises. I'm starting form the BBC link in your OP. The data blog stuff about grade inflation is at best peripheral.

My point is that the major reason we're scoring less than other nations (and worse/no better than current cohort's grandparents) is that our education system is skewed. The reason for the skew is league tables that focus on A* to C; the GCSE equivalent of O levels.

Mrs B is currently making a tidy sum every week taking Science borderline D/C Yr11s for separate tuition to boost their grades. The schools are paying that sum and 30% on top to her agency and it's not for the kid's benefit.

Where's the similar provision for D-U kids in langiage and number? And they're already disengaged 'cos they were written off before Yr6 SATS.
 Education failure - Zero

>> Where's the similar provision for D-U kids in langiage and number? And they're already disengaged
>> 'cos they were written off before Yr6 SATS.

Yup, our kids are tested, graded and failed far too early. Its particularly hard against the boys who can be a year behind the girls.
>> Yup, our kids are tested, graded and failed far too early. Its particularly hard against
>> the boys who can be a year behind the girls.

Spot on. Then there's the age difference. A July born child starting Primary in September is only just four while the October births in same class are in sight of five. Fifty months plays sixty but expectations are same.

In most of Europe they're still a year or more from full time school at five but (paraphrasing a Mail headline yesterday) not reading at 6 is 'abnormal' in England.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 8 Oct 13 at 23:05
 Education failure - CGNorwich
The biggest problem is nothing to do with exams, testing or teaching methods, it is the low aspirations and anti-education culture that is endemic throughout large part of our society which does not seem to exist, at least not to the same degree in other countries.

For many children, especially boys, it is simply not "cool" to study. It is very difficult for a child who want to learn in this environment. Not sure what if anything can be done about it though.
 Education failure - Armel Coussine
>> nothing to do with exams, testing or teaching methods, it is the low aspirations and anti-education culture that is endemic throughout large part of our society which does not seem to exist, at least not to the same degree in other countries.

Yes, the British are anti-intellectual and always were. But I must disagree on the innocence of educators. Both they and their political masters at a certain point in the sixties and seventies were destructive of proper education ostensibly because it was 'elitist'.

How the damn twits were able to imagine a non-elitist form of education was beyond me, and probably beyond all the philosophers that have ever lived. But I don't think the system has recovered from it yet. Like all systems it favours the lazy and stupid.
 Education failure - Cliff Pope
>> It is very
>> difficult for a child who wants to learn in this environment. Not sure what if
>> anything can be done about it though.
>>

This might work. What about creaming off the top 10% who have ability and want to develop it, and putting them in special schools designed to have an inspiring educational culture? Obviously they would be open to all, regardless of parental income. Perhaps they could be called grammar schools?

Then divide the remainder into two categories:

1) Bright and ambitious, but not intellectual. Put them in technical schools to learn useful things, engineering, etc

2) Thick or couldn't care less.
Sorry chaps, this school is a dump. It's largely your fault you are here, or because you have stupid parents. If you don't make any efforts to improve you will end up on life's scrapheap. Your choice.

Just an idea :)
 Education failure - Ambo
>>not reading at 6 is 'abnormal' in England

I believe no attempt is made to get children reading before 6 in Rudolf Steiner schools.
 Education failure - Westpig
>> I believe no attempt is made to get children reading before 6 in Rudolf Steiner
>> schools.

Surely every child is different...and you pitch in at whatever level is appropriate for that child...within the resources/time/etc you have as a teacher?

My 5.5 year old reads me his bedtime stories and has shown an enormous interest in reading (as I did as a child)...yet there are others in his class who can read very little.

For me, at that age, we should be trying to interest them, help them evolve and point them in the right direction without too much stress and hassle.

Then when it gets to older primary (say the last 2 years) and then secondary education..the singular problem with our education system is the lack of discipline... so those that want to sod about rather than learn have a virtual free reign..and who have no respect whatsoever for the adults who have the misfortune to be there trying to teach them and their peers....and the kids that want to learn are held back.

Grammar schools and technical schools get my vote.
 Education failure - DP
This is the net result of the ridiculous league table culture in education. When you place such massive importance on numbers, achieving the numbers becomes everything, even if it isn't the best approach to education. The ranking of a school in these tables is now so ingrained in our culture that the catchment area for a high table school actually affects local house prices. Friends of ours paid a small fortune to move literally 200 yds to get their daughter into a "good" school, and they aren't alone.

I believe children will thrive in most school environments if they have a decent attitude, and are willing to learn. A good teacher can of course engage and develop even "difficult" children, but fundamentally, it is the job of the parents to make sure their children are well behaved, polite, attentive and respectful. Sadly, many parents are either concerned with being "mates" with their children, or couldn't care less either way as long as they don't interfere with their social lives or mobile phone conversations.

Although school has helped develop both my children's reading skills, it played no part in teaching them the basics. Both of my two were reading independently at four, and my eldest, now 8, has among other things, worked her way through all the Harry Potter books and a good chunk of Roald Dahl's back catalogue. For her 6th birthday she asked for a Kindle!

I think it is also time to stop making academic achievement the be-all and end-all. Not everyone is academically capable, and it's time that vocational and technical skills had a little more prestige attached to them, and were taught in a more structured way. There is a mindset in this country, again driven by the league table culture, that if you don't do well in academic exams, you are some kind of failure. Look at the way the German education system deals with vocational training and education by comparison.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 11:05
Difficult to improve on DP's analysis. As a teacher's spouse and parent og two children who've recently gone through secondary education I could illustrate it with a number of examples.
Early testing is pernicious. Young children make progress in bounds at different ages.

I have already said that pupils tend to fulfil their teachers expectations. Get labelled as non-academic at a young age and those expectations will be low. To some extent that happens anyway but the tests make it worse because the teachers have to push before the child is ready.

The point about discipline is a real one and that's a real problem in some schools, with no answer on the horizon. There is just no sanction for the disengaged troublemaker. Hitting children was never a great idea but the deterrent effect was enough for 99% - the benefits for the many outweighed the damage done. Some people, adults included, just need coercion to behave properly.
 Education failure - Falkirk Bairn
We have lots of kids who cannot read /write etc in primary - say 10-15%

IMHO the next key age when we lose lots of kids in educational terms is 12/13/14 yrs.
They can be quite engaged at primary however they lose interest in schoolwork, their interests turn to anything other than learning - boys/girls, fashion/pop culture - if the parents pay attention then maybe they can be rescued but if they disconnect from the family then it is downhill all the way in educational terms and they leave school with minimal qualifications.

It is not only the kid's fault. They are maybe not keen on "book work" but could be interested in craft & technology. 50+ yrs ago when I was a secondary pupil the local schools had workshops - woodwork/metalwork/kitchens/gardens ...all teaching practical skills.

Locally very little in the way of workshops, kitchens are available in schools (precious little in colleges either!) WHY? It costs a lot to run 2 /3 x practical classes of 10/16 + overheads of equipment when you can sit 32 in a classroom and bore them with social science, personal development etc etc.

Practical work might just be the thing that catches the imagination and let them achieve something that will do them good in later life.
 Education failure - Roger.

>> Grammar schools and technical schools get my vote.
>>

UKIP policy!
 Education failure - Roger.
It should not all be down to teachers to start youngsters reading!
Parents, IMO, have a massive part to play in literacy.
Our daughter could read well before she went to primary school. We took the trouble to teach her with the Ladybird reading scheme, the Janet & John books and Peter Rabbit etc.
We played number games with her, too.
She has done the same with our grandchildren. Both could read & count before they went to school - in fact our 7 year old granddaughter is seldom seen without her nose in a book and she writes stories too! Here she is in "author mode"!
i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/528234_10151602107102101_1024840048_n_zpsae58d653.jpg
 Education failure - Robbie34
People have failed in the education system before the present day. One only has to read posts on this site - and this is one of the better sites - to see the appalling standards of spelling, grammar and punctuation. I can understand that some people do have a particular problem when it comes to spelling, and one can make allowances for that.

My particular bugbear is using "of" as a verb in place of "have." Advise as a noun is another one; excepted instead of accepted. The list is almost endless. Much is down to laziness.

I recall doing research for my Master's degree many years ago - it was on literacy in the nineteenth century - and I was shocked at the poor grammar, punctuation and spelling in some of the dissertations that had been submitted, and approved, at a number of polytechnics. These would never have been accepted by the university where I studied. Indeed, after I had submitted the bound copies of my dissertation to my tutor, I was called to the University as I had made a typing error left out an apostrophe in Kings College. I had to return to the University with a black biro and insert the apostrophe in the appropriate place. Fortunately, there were no other mistakes, otherwise I would have had to get printed another three copies and have them bound.
 Education failure - Number_Cruncher
For my part, I don't spell check my posts on this site, and I don't spend a long time fretting over picking my words. Often, you'll find typos in my posts - please try not to be offended. I may also split the odd infinitive.

From time to time, I'll also write something that's ambiguous which, again, I would pick up if I were proof reading for an audience who were writing me a pay cheque.

Taking the main points of the thread though, I am consistently surprised by how poor my students are in basic English skills, and this is why I make them write lots of technical reports - to get practice and feedback from me.

I'm also beginning a CV and covering letter review for the second year students applying for "year out" placements. I expect that I will find some real howlers!

The problem for me is that this lack of basic English is not countered by an increased technical awareness - I have problems with students even at late stages in their course having trouble with the most basic concepts of physics - Newton's laws, for example should be clear, at least in concept in the first year of their degree course if not earlier. I think this is not just a Polyversity problem, and it also affects "proper" institutions.
Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Wed 9 Oct 13 at 19:44
 Education failure - Armel Coussine
>> problems with students even at late stages in their course having trouble with the most basic concepts of physics - Newton's laws, for example should be clear, at least in concept in the first year of their degree course if not earlier. I think this is not just a Polyversity problem, and it also affects "proper" institutions.

It's a problem with secondary school. That stuff is O Level. Education has been ideologically subverted in this country, with many who should have known better applauding the process or trying not to think about it.

Now people are whining because Poles and Albanians are better educated than we are. Serves us damn well right.
There is a peculiar contradiction here in that our overall levels of literacy and numeracy are comparatively low our universities are still world leading and in areas like design , science and technology as a nation we still punch afford our weight.
 Education failure - Number_Cruncher
>>That stuff is O Level.

Quite so, I agree. I think I was 12 the first time I copied Newtons 3 laws from the blackboard into my work book.

While I should now be talking to my students about the finer points of weight transfer between axles on slopes, I'm actually doing remedial work on drawing free body diagrams, and what the concept of a force or what a moment is.
Sorry Robby but there are at least two grammatical errors in your post. I leave you to find them

Appalled of Norwich.
 Education failure - Robbie34
I can only spot one, plus a split infinitive. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

It's quite easy to make the odd mistake when typing on a forum such as this and not checking afterwards. I'm not condemning the odd typo, but blatant ignorance.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Bromptonaut
Jeez, I've just seen an episode of this programme. What looked like a bright and articulate mother who'd let her infant sons rule the roost. Kathryn, the Nanny, arriving on a bike she'd clearly mounted at instruction of producer, tries to put her right.

Lot of the stuff we'd learned and applied to our two from Dr Chris Green's 'Toddler Taming' but you can see how stressed parents, particularly those on their own, let go.

The little blighters in that prog, untamed to their teens, would be a nightmare on their own, never mind in concert with a few others of same ilk.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - DP
>> Lot of the stuff we'd learned and applied to our two from Dr Chris Green's
>> 'Toddler Taming' but you can see how stressed parents, particularly those on their own, let
>> go.

The "timeout" saved many frayed nerves and disarmed many conflicts in our house. Fabulous book.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - mikeyb
Watched an episode at the instruction of Mrs B.

I struggle to understand how some families end up in that situation.

Not read Dr Chris Green's book, but most of what the "nanny" advised was more common sense to me than rocket science
>> Watched an episode at the instruction of Mrs B.
>>
>> I struggle to understand how some families end up in that situation.
>>
>> Not read Dr Chris Green's book, but most of what the "nanny" advised was more
>> common sense to me than rocket science

It was quite clear how the Mum in tonight's prog got where she was. Left alone to bring up two boys she was overwhelmed by conflicting needs and emotions. The trouble with common sense is that it's not that common.

Once we could tell difference between distressed and angry crying, a developmental point that varies we began to enforce bed time. A routine of milk, biscuit and story or video followed by nappy change and being laid in cot. If child is howling after ten minutes then lay him/her down again - without words or eye contact - and leave. They soon get message and learn to either sleep or amuse themselves. My sister, at that time childless, was gob smacked to find 18 month old Miss B, left alone at 19:00, sitting up in cot 90 mins later playing happily with dolls and teddies.

Obviously, if crying persists and turns to prolonged distress, or there are external disturbances (in our case backing onto a playing field meant this could happen in summer) yo umight need to intervene and re-stage the bed time routine.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Cliff Pope
A fundamental principle I have always urged, and applied, is never to try and bribe children with the same treat that they are trying to weedle out of you.

If a child is going into a tantrum because it wants an icecream, it is fatal, after enduring a long battle of yes/no/screaming/kicking, to then relent and say all right, but be good.
That is simply teaching the child that it can have anything it wants if it screams loudly enough.

The vital point is always to mean what you say, and stick to it.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Ambo
I wonder how much education one really needs. I had jobs in industry which started fairly big (nothing unusual in that in my field) and progressed inter (much) alia to sole responsibility for accounts, including payroll, for some 600 workers. Yet I had a miserable clutch of O Levels (including one re-sit) and 2.50 A levels (ditto). As I said before (do pay attention at the back) I have never passed any exam in maths.

I only improved my qualifications, initially for three years, at age 39 and went on to teach in higher education (i.e. post-A Level). I needn't have bothered to study as qualifications did not seem prized at all and some colleagues only possessed things like Honorary Membership of the Institute of Work Study, or whatever.

As regards typos a lot may be down to "proof reader's error", the bane of authors, as well as the unnatural mode of the keyboard.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Manatee
But were you under-educated or just under-qualified ambo?

It sounds to me as if you absorbed quite a lot - and education doesn't stop when you leave school. For some, that's when it starts.

We have gone to the other extreme now - do nurses need degrees? The boss, for reasons too complicated to go into, left school at 15 with no qualifications at all. She has been chair and/or treasurer of numerous voluntary bodies and is now a school governor. She has also been a part time teaching assistant for the last 18 years and is highly valued as far as I know - yet she probably wouldn't be qualified for that if she were to apply now.

>> We have gone to the other extreme now - do nurses need degrees

I think that's right. Nurses might need to be of degree calibre but practical training and right aptitude at outset are just as likely to come up with goods.

IIRC you now need A level maths and/or English to enter training as a primary teacher. That's going to eliminate a lot of candidates who'd be perfectly good teaching KS2.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - commerdriver
>> IIRC you now need A level maths and/or English to enter training as a primary
>> teacher. That's going to eliminate a lot of candidates who'd be perfectly good teaching KS2.
>>
Not so Bromp, you need a good GCSE (at least a C) in each and you need to pass a national test in each which is supposedly equivalent to GCSE grade B, before entering teacher training, at least as a PGCE postgrad. You get 2 resits if you need them then you have to wait 2 years before you can reapply.

For Winchester you also need at least a 2:2 in your first degree

You also need to have spent a number of hours in a classroom either as an LSA or as an unpaid volunteer. IIRC you need about 200 hours in the 2 years before your PGCE starts.

Have been through those hoops with youngest who started her PGCE on 16th September.

Doesn't deter applicants though her PGCE yeargroup for primary teachers at Winchester is over 120 students.
 Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Haywain
"I wonder how much education one really needs."

A good question. Education, from the latin, means 'leading out'; it should be about being encouraged to make the most of what you've got.

A fellow pupil, actually a couple of years younger than me, managed to scrape 2 O levels in what was an academic grammar school. But Jimmy Watson was an exceptional musician becoming one of the world's finest trumpeters and ultimately Professor of Brass at the Royal Academy of Music. Sadly, he passed away in 2011, but this is a recording of Aaron Copland's 'Quiet City' played when Jimmy was only 18; I shed a tear every time I hear it.

youtu.be/TAKvC7rfB5o

Education failure - 3 day Nanny - Number_Cruncher
>>Education, from the latin...

Quite.

I was forced to laugh when one of my duller colleagues suggested that we needed a process at the end of a degree to mirror the (equally dull) induction process we force the students to undergo during freshers week.
Latest Forum Posts