Non-motoring > Devonport dockyard nuclear issue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 13

Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Westpig
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24421402

I am reliably informed that the local police chief was somewhat unimpressed (and bluntly said so) when he found out about this some time afterwards... and any protocols about informing others went out of the window.

Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Zero
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24421402
>>
>> I am reliably informed that the local police chief was somewhat unimpressed (and bluntly said
>> so) when he found out about this some time afterwards... and any protocols about informing
>> others went out of the window.

So what the local bill going to do when one of those cooks up, drops through the bottom of the boat and boils up plymouth sound? They are as powerless and ill equiped to deal with it as everyone else.
>> So what the local bill going to do when one of those cooks up, drops
>> through the bottom of the boat and boils up plymouth sound? They are as powerless
>> and ill equiped to deal with it as everyone else.
>>

Yes...but what is the point of having contingency plans and what have you, if one of the parties fails to comply at the first hurdle?
 Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Old Navy
>> So what the local bill going to do when one of those cooks up, drops
>> through the bottom of the boat and boils up plymouth sound? They are as powerless
>> and ill equiped to deal with it as everyone else.
>>

What is your source for this scenario, Zero, the Daily Mail ?
 Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Zero
Nah, the Russian Navy.
Are you referring to this ?

It may be a hint as to what would happen if we had a big problem.

www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/k19/radiation_main.html

I doubt if the plods would have a great involvement beyond crowd control. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 7 Oct 13 at 09:24
>> I doubt if the plods would have a great involvement beyond crowd control. :-)
>>

Stopping you lot coming down the M5/A303/A30/A38 might be a good start.
Some bed time reading for you

tinyurl.com/qxdk6ym

Just so you know there's a bit more to it than just kissing your backside goodbye.
>> Stopping you lot coming down the M5/A303/A30/A38 might be a good start.
>>

I don't think that would be a problem, you might catch a few of the media panicked for speeding on the "up" side of the roads mentioned. :-)
Nuclear submarines should always have two sources of power for their reactor cooling pumps, one in use, and a backup. These can be Steam, (not available when shut down in harbour), Diesels, The submarines batteries, Shore power, (national grid), plus an emergency system using seawater if the submarine is afloat, this can be supplied from ashore if the submarine is in dry dock. I very much doubt if all these failed, The people who make the most noise about nuclear problems usually have the least knowledge.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 6 Oct 13 at 22:01
 Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Ted

Never mind, it may never happen.,,,,,,but if it does........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

Ted
 Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - MD
And no second chance. You weren't there either ON.
>> And no second chance. You weren't there either ON.
>>

I should have said "at least" two cooling options, I know the contingency plan if it goes pear shaped and would not worry about the outcome.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 6 Oct 13 at 22:19
 Devonport dockyard nuclear issue - Bromptonaut
However many safety fall backs are supposed to be in place they're potentially useless if people are not following proper procedures.

The ONR improvement notice linked from the BBC article suggests process was not being followed.
Latest Forum Posts