Non-motoring > Landlord advice Legal Questions
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 15

Landlord advice - sooty123
The chimney in my property needs sweeping now in the agreement it says it is the tenants responsibilty. But cropping up in converstion with someone I've looked at the act covering such agreements and by my reading of it, it's the Landlord's. Can the agreement overule an act of parliament?

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70
 Landlord advice - Manatee
I'm not reading that lot. Where is it?
Sorry I should have said it's in section 11. Space heating systems and water heating systems I think it's called, to be kept in good working order. Wording to my mind is the same that covers servicing the boiler.
 Landlord advice - Manatee
Is yours a short term lease, to which Section 11 applies? I have endeavoured to understand that but I can only find what to me is ambiguous guidance.

There is a non-authoritative view here that you are right.

www.jklettings.co.uk/who-responsible-for-having-the-chimney-swept-in-a-rental-property/
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 4 Oct 13 at 12:54
It is a short term let yes. I found that link too googling. It seemed a bit more clear cut to me, but then naturally it would, but I don't think I'm being too baised or misreading it. Boilers are serviced under that section, so I don't see how chimnies wouldn't be?
 Landlord advice - Dutchie
I would think if it is a rented property the owner is responsible for the chimney sweep.Land Lord sounds like something of the dark ages.
 Landlord advice - Zero
with your name? get up there and do it yourself.
 Landlord advice - MD
Don't give him the Brush off Zeddo. No call for it..........
 Landlord advice - Robin O'Reliant
>> Don't give him the Brush off Zeddo. No call for it..........
>>

Come on now, there's no smoke without fire...
 Landlord advice - MD
Don't get yer bristle's in a twist RR
 Landlord advice - Dog
Perhaps sooty requires a flue jab.

:}
 Landlord advice - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a chimney sweeping brush. Well, I think that's what it was anyway and that's what I used it for. It was kind of a stiff black Gonk on the end of a long coil of wire. Used it to clear drains too but never on the same day as shoving it up the chimney. Wouldn't have seemed right somehow.
 Landlord advice - MD
No well that other stuff doesn't go uphill too well.
 Landlord advice - Zero
You don't know the difference between a loo brush and a Chimney sweeps brush, and you wear Green trousers and yellow shoes.

riiiiiiigggghtttt

Landlord advice - Runfer D'Hills
Definitely wasn't a bog brush. Had about 20 feet of twisted wire attached to the head. You'd need a hell of a log jam phobia to justify that sitting on a chrome holder in the karsie.
 Landlord advice - R.P.
Landlord according to that act. Contracts cannot overrule statute law. In the real world I guess it depends where you are with your tenancy and how much you need it. If you're outside your first 6 or 12 month contractual period he can kick you out with two months notice. His responsibility would be tested at an inquest I suppose. :-)
Latest Forum Posts