Non-motoring > If Westminster shut down... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 7

If Westminster shut down... - Crankcase
So, if the UK Government shut down, do you think a London restaurant would do this? Those Americans are so *insert your own description here*

From

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24357415

At Sugarfire Smoke House in St Louis, the so-called Government Shutdown Sandwich - beef brisket, smoked turkey, pulled pork, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle - has been snapped up by employees unexpectedly kicking their heels this week. And it's free, no identity card required.

"We have a lot of government employees in St Louis," says restaurant owner Mike Johnson.

"I'm upset they're out of work just because these guys can't get along. We gave away 50 yesterday and 100 today. I'd give away 1,000 and I wouldn't care. If I lose a bit of money, so be it. I opened a year ago and it's been a good year."
 If Westminster shut down... - Old Navy
There is no way we would have a shutdown here, our servants (Ha Ha) the politicians would not be able to submit their expense claims.

You have to give the Americans credit for taking every opportunity to promote their businesses.
 If Westminster shut down... - Zero
if it did, would we notice?
 If Westminster shut down... - Bromptonaut
>> if it did, would we notice?

Westminster probably not that quick but if Whitehall stopped paying the bills (which is effectively what's happened stateside) things would gum up pretty quickly.

Differnt over there of course because of the large role of state government though without Federal subvention I guess some of those services will grind to a halt as well. The markets are jittery too, though that's more to do with next battle over extending the borrowing limit.
 If Westminster shut down... - Duncan
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24357415
>> .....
>> At Sugarfire Smoke House in St Louis, the so-called Government Shutdown Sandwich - beef brisket,
>> smoked turkey, pulled pork, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle - has been snapped up by
>> employees unexpectedly kicking their heels this week. And it's free, .........
>> "I'm upset they're out of work just because these guys can't get along. We gave
>> away 50 yesterday and 100 today. I'd give away 1,000 and I wouldn't care.
>>

It looks quite revolting.

They wouldn't give it away to me! They would have to pay me to eat it.
 If Westminster shut down... - Alastairw
The Belgians managed without a government for quite a while (over 12 months?) while the politicos negotiated a coalition. I suspect we would be the same - at least we wouldn't be able to start any more wars.
 If Westminster shut down... - Zero
Belgium is a country, Half of it is french and half Dutch. It should be cut down the middle and shared out.
 If Westminster shut down... - Manatee
>> Belgium is a country, Half of it is french and half Dutch. It should be
>> cut down the middle and shared out.

Yup, there's yer Flemings and yer Walloons, and they get on like the Montagues did with the Capulets.

Better still they could work out a model for living with tribal differences that would be useful the world over.

Ironic really that they are at the centre of European integration.
Latest Forum Posts