Non-motoring > Old scandals remembered Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 3

Old scandals remembered - Cliff Pope
There have been some interesting before and after pictures of Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies.
R-D has aged well, and still comes out with some pithy witticisms. Describing her career progress since the old days, she said her life had been one long descent into respectability.

Keeler on the other hand is not as photogenic as of yore.
 Old scandals remembered - -
>> Keeler on the other hand is not as photogenic as of yore.
>>

On the other hand neither are the vast majority of us 30 or more years down the line if snapped in the street unexpectedly.

The supposedly photogenic and regarded as beautiful are often professionally photgraphed then photoshopped heavily made up celeb types who have spent a kings ransom on plastic infil, don't blame though them their incomes and egos depend on it.

Far too much emphasis put on image/appearance issues and the inner beauty or not of a person ignored.

edit...one of the most attractive women snapped in the street of my memory has to be Sheila Buckley, John Stonehouse's interest, naturally lovely looking woman.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 10:57
 Old scandals remembered - Armel Coussine
I used to frequent the Fiesta One restaurant in the days before and after the Profumo scandal, and must therefore often have seen Keeler and Rice-Davies although I didn't know them. They came into the category of 'the more presentable sort of tart' who sometimes crowded the place (the less presentable sort being encouraged by the management to eat and drink a couple of blocks down Westbourne Park Road, in the Rio).

Much more recently, 25 years ago perhaps, met and talked to Christine Keeler one afternoon while we were both buying dope. At that time she was a presentable, no longer winsome but slim and quite all right, middle-aged suburban housewife. Didn't have much conversation but was perfectly pleasant. Judging by that photo, in which she is totally unrecognisable, something has gone wrong with her health.

In their salad days Keeler came across as a 'mystery' and Mandy Rice-Davies as a well tarty flibbertigibbet. But it seems from here that Mandy was the one with the brains and character, the real survivor.

Don't think me heartless. They are sort of 'public figures' and worthy of objective discussion.
 Old scandals remembered - Bromptonaut
Philip Knightley's account of Ward and his role in the Profumo scandal gives an alternative view of the protagonists and their characters.
Latest Forum Posts