Cost of living quiz - Crankcase
Roll up roll up, only seven questions.

Are you "in touch"?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24345784

Five from seven for me.
 Cost of living quiz - Armel Coussine
Three.
 Cost of living quiz - Bromptonaut
Four. Too used to London prices for beer or it'd have been five.

Piece in Grauniad today though argues that real price of 'everyday' items is difficult to establish as they vary enormously due to promotions 'loss leading' etc.

Nearly forty years ago our local grocer was complainig that the wholesale price for Sunblest white was more than Morrison's retail.

Tellingly, they wouldn't sell him more than five at once.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 2 Oct 13 at 14:28
 Cost of living quiz - -
3, woman get down them shops and do your duty...he thought silently to himself.
Suppose I should have added I didn't know the paint or the kilo of "vegetables" type question.
>> Suppose I should have added I didn't know the paint or the kilo of "vegetables"
>> type question.

I didn't know paint either. If they'd asked the price per 500g pack for mushrooms, onions etc I'd have been jiggered but I'd an idea that a kilo of mushrooms would be a very large pack indeed.
 Cost of living quiz - Cliff Pope
I think the PM ought to have more important things to know the price of, as we are entrusting him with so much money:

How much is an aircraft carrier?

What would it cost to cut income tax by 1p?

Will HS2 be twice, 5 times, or 10 times over-budget?
 Cost of living quiz - Alanovich
7 out of 7. I don't know whether to be pleased or not.

Perhaps this is the benefit of being the only person to have ever worked for a living.
 Cost of living quiz - Robin O'Reliant
>> 7 out of 7. I don't know whether to be pleased or not.
>>
>> Perhaps this is the benefit of being the only person to have ever worked for
>> a living.
>>

Sounds to me like the only person who has worked the checkout at Tescos ;-)
 Cost of living quiz - Fursty Ferret
Five out of seven. I would have got the price of milk too, but the question uses some weird measurement called "pints" and I buy my milk in litres.
>> Five out of seven. I would have got the price of milk too, but the
>> question uses some weird measurement called "pints" and I buy my milk in litres.
>>

You know, that's why I didn't get the veg question. It used some weird measurement called "kilos" and I think of my veg in pounds and ounces, or numerically (four tomatoes or whatever). I find it hard to think what a kilo is - I can never remember if it's pounds times two, roughly, or a half, roughly.

Even the whippersnappers on the cheese counter these days seem to have no issue if I ask for a quarter of cheddar or something, so I'm happy bumbling along thirty years out of date.
 Cost of living quiz - Cliff Pope
>> >> and I think of my veg in pounds and ounces,

I've always loved this:

But whatever his weight in pounds, shillings, and ounces,
He always seems bigger because of his bounces.

'And that's the whole poem,' he said. 'Do you like it, Piglet?'
'All except the shillings,' said Piglet. 'I don't think they ought to be there.'
'They wanted to come in after the pounds,' explained Pooh, 'so I let them. It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come.'
'Oh, I didn't know,' said Piglet
 Cost of living quiz - Focusless
If they'd asked for Asda prices instead of average I'd have done a lot better :)
 Cost of living quiz - Manatee
4/7.

Don't drink lager, but the average round here is nearer £4 than £3, bake my own bread (why was Cameron mocked for saying it was north of £1?) and haven't painted any walls recently.
 Cost of living quiz - movilogo
5/7

Shocked at this though:

National average bed price is £1.31

I only eat supermarket's own brand breads at 45-50p.

Occassionally I eat better bread when they were "reduced to sell".

Cost of living quiz - Zero
6/7

Despite shopping in Waitrose and living down south.

Got the cost of pills wrong, never get headaches so no idea what they cost.
 Cost of living quiz - Dave_
6/7 for me, I guessed the price of paint based on the budget stuff in the tiny DIY area of Morrison's, should have remembered B&Q have a fair mark-up.

I have just done my weekly shop though, most standard loaves of bread are well north of £1 and the one I prefer is usually £1.45 (although it's usually on offer at a quid every couple of months or so). I don't mind spending the extra on the "premium" bread, "deli-style" hams etc as my packed lunch still works out far cheaper than anything bought at the roadside and it tastes lovely too - buying "value" everything is a false economy as it's 'orrible...
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Fri 4 Oct 13 at 22:09
 Cost of living quiz - Dog
Well, I haven't been shopping for 15 years so I only got the paint and the MOT kwestions correct.

Surprised about the answer to numero uno though.
 Cost of living quiz - Skip
6/7 - Got the beer wrong, I went for the highest price as it is more expensive than that around these parts.
 Cost of living quiz - mikeyb
A poor three.

Not sure where their average pint is, but its nowhere round here

>> Not sure where their average pint is, but its nowhere round here

Not here (Northampton) either

OTOH was in the Wetherspoons at Childwall Fiveways in Liverpool on Saturday. Several really good guest beers, two of them local, for around £2/pint. The Lad might treat it as his local!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 2 Oct 13 at 19:57
 Cost of living quiz - Dog
5/7 for the missus.
 Cost of living quiz - MD
 Cost of living quiz - MD
It's all too dear mainstream. Just look at Lidl's and Aldi etc.

We also use a Booker's trade card. 'Some' food items in there are so cheap.

Whilst I am on my pedestal I firmly believe that we (you know who 'we' are) have surrendered this country without firing a single shot. I think, for now anyway, that I may be beyond caring any more as it seems to be a totally worthless exercise, like trying to un-flush a Loo for example.

Kind regards,

Yours,

Ex-asperated................x
 Cost of living quiz - tyro
5 out of 7.

I did this largely by random guesswork.

I shop at my local village shop, eschewing the large chains wherever possible. And in my local shop, there are very few price labels, and one never, ever gets a till receipt. Under the circumstances, 5 out of 7 strikes me as pretty good!

(BTW, I've just thought of a great slogan:

"Support your local independent shop. You have nothing to lose but your chains!"

OK, I'll get my coat.
 Cost of living quiz - Ted
4 for me.. I didn't get the bread, pills or beer.

But then, I have staff to do the shopping.

Ted
 Cost of living quiz - crocks
5 out of seven for me.

I knew the pills would be cheap but didn't expect them to be that cheap.
Beer certainly isn't that cheap around here.

The question about the cost of a pint of milk is rather archaic. Who buys just a pint these days?
I know four pints from Sainsbury's is £1.29
 Cost of living quiz - CGNorwich
Who buys just a pint these days?

I do. Twice a week.

Cost of living quiz - Ted

We do, a very nice man brings it and leaves it on the doorstep. Keeps an eye on the neighbourhood as well.

Ted
 Cost of living quiz - Stuu
7. I do the food shopping, modern man see. Not only that but I can recall the price of every item in my trolley before I reach the checkout, my wife thinks I am wired up a little funny. I can also recall the price of most items I buy every week including past prices when they change, I need to get out more :-)
 Cost of living quiz - tyro
>>. . . modern man see.

I knew it. I just knew it. Typical UKIP type.

I'll bet Alanović is a closet kipper, too.
>>I knew it. I just knew it. Typical UKIP type. <<

I know, dont tell anyone, they already think I am a liberal plant :-)

>> kipper

Now there's something I wouldn't know the price of. Nasty things.
Around £3 for a pair of Craster kippers at Waitrose. Have them most Sundays for breakfast. have you ever actually tried one? I think the smell puts people off.
>> have you ever actually tried one?

Yes. Barf. I'm not an overly fishy person, have an intolerance to shellfish. There's plenty of food on land without having to get all sea-sick to find some slimy, sewage eating food poisoning for my table. Never understood why mankind insists on dragging the stuff on to land.

Tuna's nice, though. ;-)
I can understand kippers as a fish, but what's that tea that smells like kippers? That I don't get at all.
i think you mean Lapsang Souchong. has a strong smoky flavour. Bit of an acquired taste but I quite like it.

>> Around £3 for a pair of Craster kippers at Waitrose. Have them most Sundays for
>> breakfast. have you ever actually tried one? I think the smell puts people off.

Do you grill them CG? The smell lingering does put me off. Not the same but I do have a kipper sandwich every couple of weeks with the Waitrose boil in the bag jobs - an acceptable compromise to get my Omega3s.

Home improvement expert Harold Hill from Harold Hill
Of do it yourself dexterity and double glazing skill
Came home to find another gentleman's kippers in the grill
So he sanded off his winkle with his Black & Decker Drill
I do normally grill them but I agree there is a smell. An acceptable trade off as far as I am concerned but if you want proper kippers without the smell just put them in a jug head down, pour a kettle of boiling water over them and leave for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve on a warm plate. Much better than "boil in in bag'
 Cost of living quiz - Haywain
".......there is a smell. "

Anyone for a smoked fish SMELL - try bloaters; they stink out the entire house even with the kitchen door kept shut!
That's because they are smoked whole and don't have the guts removed unlike kippers. Gives them a stronger flavour.
I've had a brainwave on the kippers. If I bung them in the Rayburn all the pong will go up the chimbley. I can't see why ovening won't work.
>> That's because they are smoked whole and don't have the guts removed unlike kippers. Gives
>> them a stronger flavour.
>>

Oh good grief. That is utterly repulsive.
 Cost of living quiz - Haywain
"Oh good grief. That is utterly repulsive."

Yes indeedy! We only had them the once and my wife banned them from all future dining. It took weeks to de-fume/untaint the grill, cooking utensils, plates and cutlery.
 Cost of living quiz - Roger.

>> The question about the cost of a pint of milk is rather archaic. Who buys
>> just a pint these days?
>> I know four pints from Sainsbury's is £1.29
>>
4 pints of British whole milk from ALDI is £1.00.
Just drinking some now!
 Cost of living quiz - -
Exactly Roger there's Waitrose living or as the rest of us do Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons living.

A bag of tate and lyles sugar or a pint of milk is the same whatever store it comes from.
4 pints is £1 in Tesco too.
>> Exactly Roger there's Waitrose living or as the rest of us do Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons living.
>>
>> A bag of tate and lyles sugar or a pint of milk is the same
>> whatever store it comes from.
>>

Ah, yes, but...

www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jul/27/dairy-farmers-milk

>>
>> Ah, yes, but...
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jul/27/dairy-farmers-milk
>>
>>
>>

All this cheap milk will come back to haunt us sooner or later. As dairy farmers are squeezed out of business supply and demand will kick in and the price will rise.

Rather pay a few pence more for milk knowing the farmer isn't being screwed over
 Cost of living quiz - Zero
>> Exactly Roger there's Waitrose living or as the rest of us do Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons living.
>>

If all you want is milk and sugar, by all means shop at Aldlid.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 17:15
>>
>>

Waitrose is not as expensive as some perceive when you compare like for like
There's a Waitrose just up the road from us we use quite often. We like it well enough. Morrisons have just applied for planning permission almost next door to it. We quite like Morrisons too, when we ever get near one.

It will be a tricky call, that.
>> Waitrose is not as expensive as some perceive when you compare like for like

Mmm... www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=8995&m=199146
Latest Forum Posts