Non-motoring > Unlocking a Blackberry? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 11

Unlocking a Blackberry? - Fenlander
While we hassle Virgin over daughter's faulty Blackberry I might buy her a temp used replacement from Ebay. Some are unlocked and they seem to be more money but many bargains are locked to O2 or Vodaphone.

I see you can get unlock codes from this website for £6.99... wonder if it works ok?

www.mobileunlocked.com/blackberry/curve+9360/
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Zero
giffgaff.com/unlock/blackberry-phones

As this page says, be warned, BB are the hardest to unlock and the easiest to brick.

Have to say, daughters choice was unusual, the lure of BBIM is long gone.
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Fenlander
>>>daughters choice was unusual

Oh tell me about it. The phone has been rubbish, riddled with issues from day one. It happened that most of her friendship group had them at the time she got hers 18mths ago. What I told her, and she ignored, was that they were all close to contract end and of course they all went onto IPhones leaving her a minority Blackberry user.

So might a dodgy back street mobile phone shop be better for unlock risk than trying a code bought online?

If a used one is bought already unlocked could it still crash once we put her sim in?

Are there any networks that they are more tightly locked to than others?

>> So might a dodgy back street mobile phone shop be better for unlock risk than
>> trying a code bought online?

Yeah, they can physically plug a pc into the microcode and do it that way, rather than the get 5 goes with a possibly wrong code.

>> If a used one is bought already unlocked could it still crash once we put
>> her sim in?

Unlikely. BUT it could be a nicked phone and the IMEI could be blocked or duplicated.
>>
>> Are there any networks that they are more tightly locked to than others?

No, unlocked is unlocked.
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Rudedog
My daughter has a BB (Bold) and so do a lot of her friends, while they might not be up there with the top running smartphones they serve a need for a mid-range phone that does one thing very well which is messaging (SMS, BBM and email), and in her case has stood up to a lot of teenage abuse.

As a side note, I'm gradually falling out of love with my iPhone and am thinking of returning to BB and giving either the Z10 or Z30 a chance, I know there are company issues but sometimes I like a gamble :)
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Alanovich
I'm thinking about a Sony Xperia of some kind myself. Worth a though if you're tired of iPhones. Hard to see any advantages (to me, a dedicated non-app downloader) of any of the current phones over my Nokia N8 though. Satnav, DAB Radio, 12MP camera/video camera, HDMI out without needing adapters, or any load it up to the internet and view on a smart tv rubbish) extremely hard wearing (dropped numerous times, refuses to break)...the thing's legendary. Wish I could buy a brand new one still.
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - smokie
Xperia Z is a great phone but battery life is not great if you actually use it a lot - I mean for stuff other than making calls.
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Bromptonaut
>> Xperia Z is a great phone but battery life is not great if you actually
>> use it a lot - I mean for stuff other than making calls.

Is there any smartphone that's not true of?

The only phone in this house with much over 36 hours battery is my Sony K series choc bar which lasts nearly a week.

Mrs b's Galaxy, Lads' Google and Miss B's I-phone all seem to be on charge every night.
>> >> Xperia Z is a great phone but battery life is not great if you
>> actually
>> >> use it a lot - I mean for stuff other than making calls.
>>
>> Is there any smartphone that's not true of?
>>
>> The only phone in this house with much over 36 hours battery is my Sony
>> K series choc bar which lasts nearly a week.
>>
>> Mrs b's Galaxy, Lads' Google and Miss B's I-phone all seem to be on charge
>> every night.

It only needs to last 16 hours, IE a long day. Your sony candybar is a basic phone and does not get used nearly as much as a smart phone.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 2 Oct 13 at 20:05
 Unlocking a Blackberry? - Bromptonaut

>> It only needs to last 16 hours, IE a long day. Your sony candybar is
>> a basic phone and does not get used nearly as much as a smart phone.
>>
>

Well up to a point Lord Copper.

If a battery life of 16hrs is OK why did manufacturers push basic 1-2G phones out to 240+ hrs standby? I've no wish to return to 1998 when putting the Motorola MR20 on charge was on the night checklist with cars locked, garage shut and cat out. Add to that a need to keep chargers at work, in car etc and to take them with you or a simple overnight stay?

No thanks. I'll wait for battery life to catch up with my aspirations.
SQ
>> If a battery life of 16hrs is OK why did manufacturers push basic 1-2G phones
>> out to 240+ hrs standby?

As i previously explained, because all they were was basic phones, so you could push standby times out to weeks even tho you didn't need it and often went flat when you needed them because you never remembered to charge them

>> No thanks. I'll wait for battery life to catch up with my aspirations.
As far as battery technology goes, the tale of battery powered cars
should clearly give you the hint that its never going to keep up with need.
You'll be ok tho - Your aspirations for a phone are clearly so low (still using your sony) an iphone in your hands would easily last 72 hours
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 00:53

>> thinking of returning to BB and giving either the Z10 or Z30 a chance,

You are the only one then. Better be quick they are being taken off the retailers shelves and the company that makes them for RIM has said they aint making any more.
Latest Forum Posts