Non-motoring > maps on smartphones Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 13

maps on smartphones - legacylad
Being a fully paid up Luddite it would be nice to have either OS or Harveys maps on my Nokia Lumia 800. Which I am still trying to get to grips with...
I have inputted various things on the marketplace thingy but cannot find what I want. If indeed it exists. I would happily pay money for it. If I had maps on my phone I could plot new backpacking routes whilst stuck on the train/bus/pie queue. Any suggestions please.
 maps on smartphones - No FM2R
Maybe this will help...

blog.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/2011/09/mapping-applications-for-your-phone/
 maps on smartphones - Manatee
Any use? Google hits - haven't time to investigate!

blog.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/2011/09/mapping-applications-for-your-phone/

www.andyhowell.info/trek-blog/2013/08/02/review-harvey-maps-mountain-maps-knoydart-kintail-and-glen-affric-on-routebuddy/

maps on smartphones - Crankcase
Not intending to be deliberately not answering the questions - I was about to post this

ukmapapp.com/

Which is excellent, gives you OS maps of the entire country, in freely downloadable chunks of your choice, and works a treat - on iDevices.

Then I realised yours is a Windows phone, so I post only in case some other iDevice owner wants the same thing.
 maps on smartphones - Focusless
>> ukmapapp.com/
>>
>> Which is excellent

Well it ought to be for £8! :)

I guess he has to pay for the OS maps?
£8 buys you the whole of the UK in 1:25000 and/or 1:10000.

maps on smartphones - CGNorwich
I don't think it does. It uses a composite source of maps. See link. Not the OS 1;25,000 Explorer or 1:50,000 Landranger maps.

The Explorer and Landranger series are still copyright and will cost you a lot lot more than £8 in electronic format.

ukmapapp.com/maps.html
 maps on smartphones - Zero
should have got an eye fone.

This is the best app ever for hiking and country walking

gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/
By Jingo, you're right CG. I hadn't noticed it wasn't the actual thing.

All I can say is we took it on our Hadrian's Way walk last year, and although we didn't need it I did pull up the map from time to time on the phone, and looked very OS 1:10000 ish, and certainly showed all we needed and where we were accurately.

maps on smartphones - Mapmaker
itunes.apple.com/gb/app/outdoors-great-britain-gps/id336150457?mt=8

I was looking at this a fortnight ago. This one apparently includes the 1:50000 of the national parks for free, and allows you to download chunks of map relatively cheaply.

If I know where I'm going, I use Bing maps for free OS maps on my computer and take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool and email a picture to myself. Alternatively, if there's no time/technology for that you can just take a photograph of the computer screen.
 maps on smartphones - Focusless
Having a work phone with limited data usage I use an offline oriented app:
itunes.apple.com/gb/app/city-maps-2go-offline-map/id327783342

Downloadable maps/info of anywhere in the world for £2 (although I got mine free through AppGratis).

Doesn't do logging though; that Motion-X looks good. Would be interesting to compare with my Garmin GPS watch as a run logger.
 maps on smartphones - movilogo
I use Navfree in my Android phone.

You can download an entire country in micro/SD card so can be used without internet connection.

Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 1 Oct 13 at 10:44
 maps on smartphones - Rudedog
I'm using OS Open Maps - a GPS navigation app with OS Maps, not sure if it's available for other non-iPhones, free app with no adverts and has a choice of map types and downloadable routes to follow.
 maps on smartphones - Stuartli
What about Nokia Drive, which comes up in a search for Windows apps:

www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/here-drive/31bbc68c-503e-4561-8d85-a294d54df06f
Latest Forum Posts