Non-motoring > FP started it.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 10

FP started it.... - Ted

....so blame him. Anyone experienced a camp/caravan site near Cochem on the Moselle ?
Just looking a few months ahead as SWM wants to do a lot more caravanning. This year has been severely restricted due to illness and head gasket lunching on the one weekend we had booked !

I'd like to go down to Lake Konstanz but fuel costs and time might preclude this. I've been to the German part of the Moselle/Rhein and it's a nice area. The Teds call it Ferienland ( Holidayland ) themselves. I speak some German and that helps a lot.

I don't want to drive too far, the area is virtually the other side of Belgium. I'll probably have to go Dover, my preferred sailing, Hull/Zeebrugge is just a click short of £700 and the Eurostar just under £500. Dover is £98 return !

Also need somewhere to park overnight near Dover. Poole used to let you sleep over on the dockside.......don't spose it's allowed any more.

Ted
  FP started it.... - Telb
Just got back from Germany myself. Cheapest crossing was DFDS Dover/Dunkerque - 78 quid solo car on noon sailings. Also very convenient for Belgium. One word to the wise - they seem to be digging up the entire road systems of Belgium and Germany at the moment.

The Caravan Club site at Black Horse Farm near Folkestone is well geared up for the ferry business and very handy for the ports, if a little pricey. It takes non-members if you're not in the club.

HTH

Terry
  FP started it.... - diddy1234
Does it have to be Caravan ?

I only ask as I had a 6 day holiday at Immenstadt at Bodensee for a nice cheap price.

It was cheaper to book my own flight and rent a flat for 6 days than to book a hotel.
Just watch for the taxes you have to pay for renting though.
The only really expensive part was the taxi from Friedrichshafen airport to Immenstadt.
  FP started it.... - Ted

Thanks for that Tel. Nice round Bodensee, Diddy. Camped with bikers group at Uberlingen a few times...right on the water's edge. Went to Friedrichshafen on the train. Nice, if very new, town, destroyed by the RAF 'cos of the Dornier factory. Really need to get more use out of the van and SWM loves all the luxury of everything it's fitted with.

Not in Caravan Club but am with the Camping Club...I think they both take each others members in......could have phrased that better !
Ted
  FP started it.... - Dutchie
Hull Rotterdam and Hull Zeebrugge are way overpriced ferries when you take a car.They have the monopoly no competition.The other ferry Newcastle Amsterdam is about the same price I think.

I often drive to Dover and from Calais to Rotterdam.The Hull ferry is on my doorstep but the pricing is far to steep.
  FP started it.... - diddy1234
Can't agree more.

very nice in that part of the region.
I have been there several times (parents used to live out there) and I used to go out there during the college holidays.

Very cold in the winter though, I guess its related to altitude at 400 MSL.
So very clean and tidy there with no stigma regarding public transport (as it just works well).

Visited Singen (not near Bodensee), Immenstadt, Radofzell, Uberligen, Constanz, bregenz (including Pfander), Lindau.

If you do go you have to go to the Zeppelin Museum at Friedrichsahfen and the RhineFalz at Stein-a-rhein.

Time it for this month and there are a few Oktoberfests on the go as well !
  FP started it.... - ....
Did you have a particular one in mind ?

goo.gl/maps/hs8ei

I live just over an hour away from the area, if you had anything in mind I could take the bike out for a run and have a look around, take some pics/video.

P&O have priced themselves out of the market for me. It's now cheaper for the four of us to fly than use Hull Rotterdam/Zeebrugge ferry crossing. DFDS from Dover to Dunkirk is the cheapest way to get over the water and makes for a long enough break.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 1 Oct 13 at 18:00
  FP started it.... - Ted

I've biked to all those place, Dids. I had a friend in Weil am Rhein but he's passed on now. Went to Fussen to see Neuschwandstein and Hochenschwangow fairy castles. Took the boat to Mainau, the island of flowers and Konstanz where the statue on the harbour wall turns to watch the boat leaving. Brilliant area.

Very kind of you GM. You can pick out most of the sites on Google Earth It gives a good idea of their size and location in regard to local towns, etc. Not quite decided as I haven't really started looking properly but I'll have a look at those on your link in due course. As long as there are modern clean showers and electric power points on pitches with perhaps a Camperstuble/Bar then we'll be happy. We don't go for night life/cabaret and such.

Ted
  FP started it.... - ....
No problem, I was just looking for an excuse to get the bike out tomorrow and go for a reunification day blast :-)
I've now been roped into a shopping trip to Roermond to buy a new printer as Germany will be closed for celebrations.
  FP started it.... - Ted

Wish I could come with you....the bike, not the shopping !

Ted
  FP started it.... - bathtub tom
>>Roermond

That brings back memories. Wife's sister and husband were teachers on RAF base nearby and we used to visit occasionally.

I particularly recall the site of the only tank battle to take place on Dutch soil and the very moving tribute to the holocaust. A monolith with an inscription, pointing the finger of blame.
Latest Forum Posts