Non-motoring > Noisy neighbours - again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 13

Noisy neighbours - again - RattleandSmoke
Some of you may remember about a year ago we had major problems with our neighbours. Well they moved out and was well for about 8-9 months.

About two months ago a new lad moved into the front room. I am not sure how to put this on a public forum, but lets just say he looked like you wouldn't want to mess with him. A few times now he has been noisy at night nothing like the previous lot but it is getting more regular. It is almost half twelve as I right this and still here his chart music blasting away.

My parents had to move into a different room due to the last lot of neighbours and it caused my mother quite a few health problems and she never been quite the same since. I really don't want this situation to escalate like it did last time but I really don't know how to handle it.

From what we can tell he doesn't appear to work which raises our fears that the owner is letting unsuitable tenants live there because of bribes landlords can get from housing offices. The house was always supposed to be for professionals but this no longer seems to be the case.

Noisy neighbours - again - VxFan
www.manchester.gov.uk/info/100006/environmental_problems/2956/tackle_a_noise_problem/2
The problem is we tried all that last time, but obviously the thing we need to first do is have a word with him. It is mostly one bloke making all the noise, when he gets back from the pub he tends to start screaming and then play loud music. It only went on for about 15 minutes tonight.

He sometimes brings back this girlfriend and when she is there, it often kicks off into a big argument. I am worried that my mother can't cope with any more of this stress. I thought about going into his local tomorrow night and having a quiet word with him e.g just saying you've been a good neighbour but sometimes you have disturbed was late at night, but knowing what pub is like I will probably get a snooker cue pushed through my neck.
 Noisy neighbours - again - DP
Not a good idea going into his local. He'll have had a few, and probably be surrounded by a few mates. By the sound of it he's not a happy drunk, and by your own admission it's a dodgy pub. It has disaster written all over it.

If you think talking to him is worthwhile, do it at home when he's sober and on his own.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 09:39
 Noisy neighbours - again - Skip
This is going to be a difficult one Rats. Do you know the landlord, or if any of the other tenants have complained about it ? You say that he is renting the front room, so has the place basically been turned into bed sits or a house of multiple occupancy as I think they call it now because if so I would certainly be looking at moving if it was mine as these places tend to have a very high turn over of tennants and you are forever going to be having this sort of problem. A drastic move I know, but if your mother's health is at stake it could well be worth it.
 Noisy neighbours - again - Falkirk Bairn
More than 2 x unrelated adults sharing a home = HMO (Housing Multiple Occupancy!)

In Scotland, HMO requires Council Approval - that might be a route to follow.

HMO in Scotland requires specific changes from a normal house - alarms, fire doors, locks, etc etc
 Noisy neighbours - again - R.P.
www.gov.uk/private-renting/houses-in-multiple-occupation

That's the E&W definition.
It is a house of multiple occupancy. My parents do know the landlords as they used to live in the house before they rented out but they have fallen out with them twice in the past 20 years due to noise issues. They are not taking any responsibility for the property as they think it is the agents job.

Looking into the laws before, and I think in England as longs as less than 5 people live in the house then you don't need to follow all the strict fire regulation rules etc.

It has been mixed tenants since the 1980s. We had problems in the early 90's and then not a single issue until last year when the agents changed.

Moving is something my parents are considering mainly because there is a large amount of equality in the house and they don't use any of the local facilities which make houses expensive here.

The racket only went on for about twenty minutes last night and we can put up with the odd occurrence like that but our fear is that the frequency of it is getting bigger.

Noisy neighbours - again - R.P.
Local Authority can add whatever conditions they want within the Act. So what might be required in Manchester might be different in say Leeds. You need to buff up on the local conditions.
Sure it was the Manchester City Council website, either way I am sure when I looked into it last year no local laws were been broken from what I could tell.
 Noisy neighbours - again - Falkirk Bairn
>>Moving is something my parents are considering mainly because there is a large amount of >>equality in the house and they don't use any of the local facilities which make houses >>expensive here.

Noisy neighbours have to be declared if the purchaser asks about noise, bad neighbour issues etc.

You do not need to tell them the neighbours are noisy BUT if asked you have to be truthful or you leave yourself open to a claim if/when the purchaser takes action after the sale.

This would reduce the EQUITY your parents have in the house
 Noisy neighbours - again - Dutchie
I can't see many people tell potential buyers of their house that they are moving because of noisy neighbours.One of the main reasons when we moved to this house over thirty years ago that it was detached.

Our garden is linked to next door I can deal with that.Have a word Rattle some people act more tough than what they are.This is no good if it is making your mother ill.Have you got a strong friend who can help you out?

Noisy neighbours - again - Dog
>>Have you got a strong friend who can help you out?

Why don't you nip over there Dutchie, put the frighteners on him, like in the olde days ;)
 Noisy neighbours - again - Zero
Mark has the answer, I seem to recall his advice was to throw him some poisoned meat. make sure no pets get hurt.
Latest Forum Posts