Non-motoring > 'Flu vaccination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 57

'Flu vaccination - L'escargot
Our medical practice has just started its annual 'flu vaccination programme. This is just a reminder for any eligible Car4players.
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/flu-influenza-vaccine.aspx
 'Flu vaccination - Roger.
The only time I had the 'flu jab, it made me ill.
 'Flu vaccination - CGNorwich

"The only time I had the 'flu jab, it made me ill."

Your choice but a serious bout of flu could kill someone of your age.

Anyway you don't know if the flu jab actually made you ill. You can only really say that you were ill after having a flu jab.
 'Flu vaccination - neiltoo
A Doctor should be round in a minute.....
 'Flu vaccination - MD
>> A Doctor should be round in a minute.....
>>
I want a fit doctor........................not a round one!
 'Flu vaccination - Lygonos
Other than a sore arm for a couple of days (even that is fairly unusual) I don't think flu jabs have much ability to make you unwell.

What I am suspicious of, however, is if you have a 'flu clinic' where several hundred patients all fall upon the health centre on a single morning, there is a fairly high chance of picking up a cold/virus from the other patients.

This is no different to going on an aeroplane/cruise or attending a very busy indoor event such as a concert.

Some GP practices tend to offer individual appointments (perhaps 2-3 per 10 minute time slot) over a few weeks to administer the vaccines, others try to do the lion's share in a single morning/afternoon.

>>A Doctor should be round in a minute.....

Exactly 60 seconds before my post. Impressive ;-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 14:23
 'Flu vaccination - L'escargot
>> What I am suspicious of, however, is if you have a 'flu clinic' where several
>> hundred patients all fall upon the health centre on a single morning, there is a
>> fairly high chance of picking up a cold/virus from the other patients.

Yep, that's the way our medical practice does it. Patients are given appointments at one minute intervals. We're invited to sit down for a few minutes afterwards and have a cup of coffee, but I'll be out of the door like a scalded snail immediately the needle has been taken out.
 'Flu vaccination - Cliff Pope
Don't scalded snails just curl up and die?
 'Flu vaccination - WillDeBeest
I was surprised to get an invitation to be vaccinated, although I'm not (I checked) in any of the risk groups and I'm 20 years short of the at-risk age. I did have a dose of seasonal flu last year, and what was probably H1N1 four years ago, but I doubt that's enough to make me unusual.

Could they have noted my travel habits? I suspect I got last year's dose in an airport, and I have been to the surgery for travel-related vaccinations. But if they're afraid I might pick up flu abroad, how much help would be a vaccination against a seasonal strain prevalent in the UK? What else might it be? Not mistaken identity - all the details were right!
 'Flu vaccination - Dulwich Estate
If you pay £ for your jab or want to avoid the GP surgery try Tesco.

Tesco pharmacy will do you a flu jab for £10, nobody else around you for infection risk , do your shopping after and even get Club Card points.
Are you a carer for someone at risk?

Personally I'd let anyone who wanted a flu jab have the vaccination but that's not how it is 'rationed' at present.

Would make more sense than stockpiling half a billion quids worth of Tamiflu which is of dubious benefit in the first place.
 'Flu vaccination - WillDeBeest
Are you a carer for someone at risk?

No. I don't think just being a parent counts.

At the height of the H1N1 outbreak, it appeared they those worst affected were mostly fit and under 50. The physical frailty of older people was outweighed by having lived through a similar outbreak in the 1950s and the immunity they acquired from that. Doesn't mean they'll have natural immunity to this year's strain, of course.
>> What else might it be?
>>

Bovine TB
 'Flu vaccination - Harleyman
>> Don't scalded snails just curl up and die?
>>

That's salted slugs.
Pop down to Morrisons or Aldi. Individual attention, no waiting in a room of coughing pensioners, in and out in five minutes and only cost £12 or so.

CGN with respect to what Dulwich posted an hour or so ago, perhaps you should try one of these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini%E2%80%93mental_state_examination

On the other hand, if there is some cross-thread mischief going on, and you are simply suggesting that other supermarkets than Satan's Own (TESCO) exists, then carry on ;-)

"perhaps you should try one of these: "

I will but I'm perfectly OK. It's just that the world is getting more complicated.

Meanwhile can I suggest that you go down to Sainsbury's or Boots. Individual attention, no waiting in a room of coughing pensioners, in and out in five minutes and only cost £14 or so.
 'Flu vaccination - Slidingpillar
I'm booked in at the local surgery as I'm in an 'at risk' group.

Last two times no waiting in crowded room full of coughers involved, just led to GP type room, wait a couple of minutes, doc appears, quick jab and that's it. Extremely well organised is the impression I get - but that is of course my surgery.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 18:10
 'Flu vaccination - Ted

Sarah the practice nurse did me yesterday at teatime. No free cuppa but that may be because I asked her if she wanted me to strip off and get on the couch.....no luck this year..again !

Got a cold now.......eyes running and nose dripping.

Ted
 'Flu vaccination - Duncan
>> Pop down to Morrisons or Aldi. Individual attention, no waiting in a room of coughing
>> pensioners,

I thought Zero didn't use Morrisons or Aldi?
 'Flu vaccination - Clk Sec
He's a Tesco man...
 'Flu vaccination - Zero
>> He's a Tesco man...

The place smells, so he is a Wait'rs fella. With occasional trips to Sainsbury.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 09:09
£9 in Sainsbury today. So said the poster outside the door.
 'Flu vaccination - VxFan
It's free if you have certain medical conditions or are of a certain age.
 'Flu vaccination - Haywain
"It's free if you have certain medical conditions or are of a certain age."

Sorry - do you mean 'in Sainsbury's' or, free if you go to the doc's?
As I understand it, all commercial places such as Tesco, Sainsbury and even your local pharmacy will charge you - no exceptions.

However, in England (no idea about other UK places) I think you must be 65+ in age or suffering from certain ailments like asthma, heart condition etc. to get a free NHS jab.
 'Flu vaccination - bathtub tom
damn! I've just looked on my GP's website and it appears I'm in the category for the 'flu jab.

I hate needles.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Oct 19 at 19:42
 'Flu vaccination - Clk Sec
>> I hate needles.
>>

Fear not - there are needles and needles. Flu jab ones are not like the ones that dentists used in the dark ages.

Not at my surgery, anyway.
 'Flu vaccination - Kevin
>Fear not - there are needles and needles.

I'm allergic to penicillin and the only time I've had antibiotics by injection they used a substitute that was more viscous and needed a larger bore needle.

Didn't feel a thing though, my mind was preoccupied with the words of the pretty little nurse.

"Drop 'em and get on the bed!"
 'Flu vaccination - Armel Coussine
>> a larger bore needle.

>> Didn't feel a thing though

There are places in the glutea maxima where if you are lucky the nervous system is spread so thin that you feel nothing. I know this because I sometimes have to take injections to stop terrible headaches. Frankly though the sting of a needle even fired straight into a nerve is nothing compared to the knowledge that the headache will fade out in seconds after less than five minutes. Pain is very hierarchical.
 'Flu vaccination - Dutchie
Our flu jab is due next week.Injections don't bother me,what did hurt was sticking a needle in my hand to find a vain.Sometimes nurse or doctor couldn't manage and stuck the needle in my wrist or feet.Chemo affected the vains doctors told me.

Bad headaches are no good A.C Ive been lucky for a few months touch wood,once in a while severe migraine besides all the other problems.>:)
Pain is very hierarchical.
>>

Very true.
Have you ever been woken by agonising cramp in your leg or foot?
Try pinching that little groove in your top lip under your nose as hard as you can, till it hurts.
The cramp vanishes, replaced by the new pain, which you then release.
 'Flu vaccination - Pat
Yes, a few times a week! I'll try that tonight and report in the morning, Cliff.

Pat
 'Flu vaccination - Armel Coussine
>> Have you ever been woken by agonising cramp in your leg or foot?

Often, not lately though, nearly always in my clutch calf and foot. I can often make it go by flexing the opposite muscle group. If the worst comes to the worst get out of bed and walk a couple of steps on it. Have a drink of water (dehydration is one cause of cramp).

Herself gets it worse than I do.
 'Flu vaccination - Duncan
>> Try pinching that little groove in your top lip under your nose
>>

Philtrum
 'Flu vaccination - zookeeper
>> The only time I had the 'flu jab, it made me ill.

how so? the vaccine isnt a live culture...must have been a dirty needle or summet

Jab price comparison

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/flu-jabs-price-comparison-different-stores-1669371
 'Flu vaccination - Meldrew
I live by myself so a bad dose of flu would be inconvenient. I used to talk my GP into giving me a jab before I was 65 and I have had one every year since and have never had flu. There may be no connection but it is free, for me, and no good reason to to have it
 'Flu vaccination - Old Navy
>>.................it is free, for me, and no good reason to to have it
>>

Same for Mrs ON and myself, no flu jab induced problems or flu for the last five years. We had ours yesterday, whether the lack of flu is down to the jab or not who knows, but I would prefer to avoid it if possible.
 Influenza immunization - Armel Coussine
Herself and I had appointments with the practice nurse at the doctor's today, two minutes apart at a convenient hour of the afternoon, bit of shopping, food, light bulbs...

The nurse didn't ask one to sit down or put a bit of elastoplast or lint on the gaping, bleeding wound as she used to. She just asked briskly if one had a high temperature today or was allergic to eggs or chicken before sticking the needle in. Didn't even wipe the sore place with surgical spirit.

The receptionist kept ordering the flu punters to take their coats off now. Naturally I kept mine on and took it off on the way down the corridor to the nurse's den. Toyed with the idea of leaning over the desk making complicated arrangements to see the docs about this that and the other, but my heart quailed within me and I didn't.
 Influenza immunization - Stuartli
I think the reason is that the injection is into the muscle rather than the equivalent of a blood test. Certainly I never felt a thing...:-) Yet some people have a sore arm or other setback afterwards.
The injection is very trivial indeed, hardly even a little sting. All that gaping wound, sore place stuff was a joke.

Nevertheless the treatment has changed and become brisker. Perhaps they have to do more people these days.
 Influenza immunization - Clk Sec
There was a long queue when I went for mine last week. I thought that I would be there for at least half an hour, but it was over and done with within fifteen minutes.

Jabs were given while patients were sitting comfortably, and refreshments were available in the waiting room for those that wanted them.

Influenza immunization - Pat
>> and refreshments were available in the waiting room for those that wanted them.
<<

Why would anyone need refreshments after a flu jab?

I thought the NHS were short of funds?

Pat
 Influenza immunization - Meldrew
I think the NHS is short of funds Pat but individual practices aren't. Mine has about 4000 patients and a husband and wife team each earning £100K+ so they could afford tea and biscuits once or twice a year, if they wanted to, which they don't!
 Influenza immunization - Lygonos
Our flu clinic had over 600 patients come through the doors on a Saturday morning - if everyone stays for 30 mins having a cup of tea and a gab with folks they haven't seen for a few months there would be utter chaos in the health centre.

Last year there was over 900 but the flu jab was distributed later so we couldn't get as many done opportunistically before the clinic.
 Influenza immunization - henry k
Our flue jab sessions are timed appointments to the minute and that works well.
 Influenza immunization - Lygonos
>>Our flue jab sessions are timed appointments to the minute and that works well.

We aim to give around 2200 flu jabs annually (patient population near 8500).

Typically we have a Saturday morning in October where all who are eligible can come along - this will get 500-900 done.

As soon as the vaccine arrives (usually mid September to early October) we stab people who have come down for other reasons where appropriate - this usually gets anything up to 1000 done depending upon when the vaccines arrive.

District nurses go to the housebound patients who otherwise don't need to be seen by a GP covering another 50-100.

After the flu clinic we set up nurse appointments for flu jags (3 per 10 minutes) and continue to catch stragglers.

By early December we expect to be well past the 2000 mark.

It is a minor headache but we do get paid for it ;-)
 Influenza immunization - Cliff Pope
>> >> and refreshments were available in the waiting room for those that wanted them.
>> <<
>>
>> Why would anyone need refreshments after a flu jab?
>>

When I last had an injection, aged about 6, I got a Smartie to stop me crying.
It would take something like a double whisky to induce me to go again.
 Influenza immunization - helicopter
I had mine a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday morning........I was parked , in and out in under 5 minutes.....

Influenza immunization - bathtub tom
Had mine a couple of weeks ago - I asked about the oral option that kids have (I've a thing about needles), met with a snort of derision. Offered a pneumonia jab while they were at it, which had to go in the other arm.

Said I was grateful nothing else was offered as I could guess where that would have gone. Some people have no sense of humour!

48 hours later I had one of the worse colds I've ever experienced, I'm still coughing a couple of weeks later.

Had a letter about abdominal aorta aneurysm screening. A scary booklet came with it that included you could die from the operation to correct any problem!
 Influenza immunization - Ted

Me ole mam died of an AAA......it started dissecting on Saturday night and she died, well morphined up, just over 24 hrs later. Heavy smoker for 60 yrs or so. If it bursts, you probably won't even get to the phone.
I had the scan a couple of years ago and, after a bit of cheeking the nurses, came away with a glowing report...thank Gawd.

I must be a needle junkie........I have 4 injections every day, whether I need them or not :-)
For many years, the needles were 12mm long but over the last few years, different drugs have now got me using 5 mm needles. If you're squeamish don't read on....I've had injections of Avastin directly into my left eyeball. These needles are a whopping 16 mm long. They don't pop your eyeball like a balloon though.

I laugh in the face of the flu jab ! Well, I have to maintain my tough guy image !

Ted
 Influenza immunization - No FM2R
Just back from the dentist where the anesthetic involved being jabbed with a hollowed-out 6 inch nail.

I whimper like a girl.

Scratch that, my girls are made of stronger stuff. I whimper like a trodden-on poodle.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 14:47
I hated those anaesthetic shots into the roots of my teeth. They hurt like hell. As for Ted's eye shot, they would have to give me a general anaesthetic first, if they could catch me.

But needles on the whole don't bother me much since I consorted with intravenous heroin users when young, fifty-plus years ago. Took a few skin shots myself using junky friends' 'works'. There was no HIV in those days but I was lucky not to get hepatitis. I was lucky too in disliking the effects of heroin which made me throw up immediately even when I snorted it. No one sane would use borrowed, unsterilized works these days.

Yesterday's flu jab has left a sore place, but only a bit sore and only when one presses the place. I am a good patient.
 Influenza immunization - Zero
They should be banned. It weakens immunity and keeps the elderly alive beyond their sell by date. The population and the economy of the uK would be better served without the jabs.
 Influenza immunization - Haywain
"…..keeps the elderly alive beyond their sell by date."

My doc was having a moan a couple of years ago about wasting the previous several days administering 'flu jabs to Alzheimer's patients in old people's homes. Mind you, I can't see what difference it made to him - he would have got his bonus.
>> should be banned. It weakens immunity and keeps the elderly alive

Yeah yeah... had yours yet Zero?
 Influenza immunization - Clk Sec
>> >> and refreshments were available in the waiting room for those that wanted them.
>>
>> Why would anyone need refreshments after a flu jab?
>> I thought the NHS were short of funds?

I expect that some of the older folk (many with walking sticks and zimmer frames), who would have been queuing for some time outside the surgery, on what was a cold and windy day, may well have appreciated a hot cup of tea before heading home.

Fear not; the refreshments weren't funded by the NHS or the surgery.

Latest Forum Posts