Non-motoring > Shingles vaccination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 3

Shingles vaccination - L'escargot
The NHS is currently offering a shingles vaccination for people aged 70 or 79.

People under 70 years will get the vaccine in the year following their seventieth birthday.

People aged 80 or over will not get the shingles vaccination because the vaccine is less effective at that age.

People aged 71 to 78 on September 1 2013, will only have the opportunity to have the shingles vaccine after they have reached the age of 79. Where's the logic in the conditions for that age group?
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/shingles-vaccination.aspx
 Shingles vaccination - Bromptonaut
If you follow the 'more details' button it seems to be about managing numbers. Impractical to vaccinate everyone aged 70-79 in a single year. Quite why the 71-78 cohort cannot be included in an expanded plan in later years is not clear. Maybe it will change later.

It's also the sort of thing that might get changed if the rationale is publicly challenged by press and/or groups such as Age. The generation who vote and have the time to write to MP's are well positioned for a campaign.
 Shingles vaccination - Lygonos
£99.96 per vaccine (presumably bulk discount applies for the NHS however).
 Shingles vaccination - Manatee
A way of phasing it in perhaps? Does it last forever?

Surprised there is one. I thought you got immunity to chicken pox through having it, but the dormant virus kicks off and gives you shingles? Or is that a mutation that needs a different vaccine? I'll Google it, sorry.

Edit.

Same virus apparently. The vaccine just boosts your immunity if you've had chicken pox. If you haven't, and you come into contact with the virus, it will stop you getting chicken pox instead I suppose.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 14:47
Latest Forum Posts