Non-motoring > Cycling Corner - Volume 5   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 106

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 6 *****

More pedal power chat.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 17 Oct 13 at 21:10

Another HGV Death in London - Bromptonaut
On same day that Mayor and DfT announce new controls on construction lorries in London another cyclist was killed in an accident involving a rigid body truck.

Driver arrested and bailed.

tinyurl.com/lkhn94q
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 7 Sep 13 at 09:18

Another HGV Death in London - L'escargot
>> tinyurl.com/lkhn94q
>>

The report only gives part of the story. It doesn't say how the cyclist came to collide with the lorry.

>> The report only gives part of the story. It doesn't say how the cyclist came
>> to collide with the lorry.

Unfortunately, unless there's a well publicised court case or inquest, we never get to find that out. This one was in suburbs so perhaps more likely to be truck turned across than cyclist undertaking but that's only my guesswork.

There are quite a few members of Cyclechat in the area this one happened so maybe a local report will be picked up but in any case it will be months off.

Another HGV Death in London - Dutchie
People make mistakes in traffic.The driver won't have killed the girl on purpose.Very sad do.

I was driving the other day visiting daughter.About five very busy a few cyclist about not enough room for all of us.People are in a hurry,I still say cyclist and heavy traffic don't mix.
And yet another.

Last night's Standard reported that a cyclist critically injured a few days ago had died after her family agreed to life support being turned off.

tinyurl.com/qdf53py

Ticks the usual boxes of tipper truck and young woman though unusually it seems the accident was on a Sunday. Close to where a French student was killed on a Boris bike earlier in the year.

No name published so far, no doubt that and the usual pictures will follow later.

Never say never... - Runfer D'Hills
My father in law is 75. He used to cycle to work daily but since he retired 12 years ago his bike has stayed firmly locked up in the garage gathering dust. However, he has decided that he'd like to use it for leisure cycling again so he has been fettling it this week. He's pretty fit for his age and I don't think he'll have too many problems.

I think he's been inspired by my wife's uncle and aunt who are also in their mid 70's and who took part in and completed an 85 mile charity bike ride last weekend.

They have "proper" road bikes and all the kit while FIL's bike is an old steel and in fairness pretty basic MTB with knobbly tyres. If he really gets into it I might have a steed tucked away in't shed which he could have but it could be too big a frame for him.

I think I'm going to advise him to put some street tyres on his anyway which will make it much easier on tarmac.

Unless of course he's planning on joining us in leaping over things in forests this weekend of course !

I think it's brilliant that he's ready to have a go anyway. Never say never eh?

Never say never... - L'escargot
>> My father in law is 75. He used to cycle to work daily but since
>> he retired 12 years ago his bike has stayed firmly locked up in the garage
>> gathering dust. However, he has decided that he'd like to use it for leisure cycling
>> again so he has been fettling it this week.

In case he's forgotten .......... www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/you-and-your-bicycle
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 7 Sep 13 at 15:20

Graeme Obree hoping to beat 83mph on his bike - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24015622

...and he won't even be pedalling - "The truly revolutionary aspects are invisible: ... and the fact that Mr Obree will not be pedalling, but instead operating a couple of push-pull levers with his feet."
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 10 Sep 13 at 09:08

Graeme Obree hoping to beat 83mph on his bike - Focusless
Well he's broken one (world) record - 57mph in the prone position:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24088647

"He had travelled head first and face down with his chin just 2cm (0.8in) from the front wheel and with his eyes peering out of a small peephole." :o

EDIT: I see the threads have got mixed up again :(

now sorted
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Sep 13 at 16:35

Nicole Kidman Skittled - Fullchat
www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24078247

Oh dear !
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 14 Sep 13 at 09:31

Nicole Kidman Skittled - Duncan
>> www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24078247
>>
>> Oh dear !
>>

Harumph!!

Looks a bit staged to me, squire!!

Car driver's automatic liability - Crankcase
In volume 4 of this thread, I mentioned that Julian Huppert, the Cambridge MP, had proposed that drivers become automatically at fault in a vehicle/cyclist accident unless proven otherwise.

I see today that idea has been accepted as official LibDem policy, for what it's worth.

Link to Cambridge News:

tinyurl.com/kmsaj9c

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 14:27

Car driver's automatic liability - Bromptonaut
>> In volume 4 of this thread, I mentioned that Julian Huppert, the Cambridge MP, had
>> proposed that drivers become automatically at fault in a vehicle/cyclist accident unless proven otherwise.
>>
>> I see today that idea has been accepted as official LibDem policy, for what it's
>> worth.
>>
>> Link to Cambridge News:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/kmsaj9c

Bring it on. Works well enough in Holland or France.

Car driver's automatic liability - Slidingpillar
Works well enough in Holland or France.
I wonder if their legal system has inbuilt common sense? At first sight I'm anti, although the only near miss I've had as a car driver was when a pavement cyclist suddenly decided to ride in the road and neither looked nor indicated. He was however mentally flagged as "a dangerous loony" and I was ready for the idiot manoeuvre.

The two times as a cyclist I've been hit by car drivers, both were in clear breach of the highway code and had the matter gone to court, they would have been guilty of "careless driving" in one case, and the "dangerous driving" in the second without any legal changes. The dangerous driver also drove off and no one got his numberplate, and the careless one said sorry, and I accepted it as no real damage was done.

I guess how wisely the system would be used is open for debate I guess in a society that says "31 mph, you're a baby killing axe wielding murderer" and pats you on the back for doing 30 - and takes no account of conditions.

Car driver's automatic liability - CGNorwich
Show me proof of anyone ever being prosecuted for driving at 31mph in a 30 speed limits

Car driver's automatic liability - Slidingpillar
>>Show me proof of anyone ever being prosecuted for driving at 31mph in a 30 speed limits

No! But it is still an offence and the Brake types will wet themselves...
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 21:21

Car driver's automatic liability - CGNorwich
BRAKE doesn't run the legal system.

Car driver's automatic liability - Armel Coussine
>> BRAKE doesn't run the legal system.

But it influences politicians and public opinion. It's quite unnecessary of course.

For example, the bloke in the big Volvo Jeep thing, banned and uninsured, who ran over that poor little scootering teenage girl, didn't stop, and tried to get his car fixed claiming he'd hit a deer, is now as deep in the doodoo as you can be. He's going to do some time and rightly so.

No one needs idiots clamouring for 1912 speed limits and so on. They just need the law, applied. And a bit of commonsense of course.

Car driver's automatic liability - Haywain
There are idiots driving cars, and there are idiots riding bikes. It's just that a car weighs a lot more than a bike and can do so much more damage. Of course it's right that the law should deal harshly with idiot car drivers.

Car driver's automatic liability - Zero

>> Bring it on. Works well enough in Holland or France.

Yeah why not, lets raise the road death rate to the levels of those countries

It may be technically illegal for cyclists to ride about on the road at night wearing dark clothing and with no or virtually no lights, but the law isn't enforced and a lot of them do it.

If the law on car/bike accidents is to be changed to favour cyclists, they must surely be required to have proper, bright lights, focused on the road not people's rearview mirrors, high visibilty clothing and decently cautious behaviour at junctions and traffic lights. In any case they are safer on the pavement and if I were them that's where I would prefer to ride.

As it stands, the proposal suggests that we as a nation are divided between thuggish right-wing car drivers and half-witted bien-pensant Grauniad-reading wimps. Since the latter category seems to be winning in all areas, one can only come out as a right-wing thug, essentially to preserve some sort of balance.

Tchah!

>> If the law on car/bike accidents is to be changed to favour cyclists, they must
>> surely be required to have proper, bright lights, focused on the road not people's rearview
>> mirrors, high visibilty clothing and decently cautious behaviour at junctions and traffic lights. In any
>> case they are safer on the pavement and if I were them that's where I
>> would prefer to ride.

Absence of lights or high viz at night would tend to demonstrate fault on part of cyclist - motor driver has a get out. Ditto for those ignoring traffic lights though in most cases they're safe enough going through kerbside or on over extended ped phase.

Riding on pavement though, never and not at all for those wanting to make progress. Might be an exception to by pass a road closure but riding at walking pace only.

Car driver's automatic liability - Alanovich
Here, goo.gl/maps/pz8Hb, on Friday afternoon, I was sat in crawling traffic, behind a Nissan Micra. A bicycle attempted to undertake us both kerbside, when suddenly the Micra driver decided she needed petrol. Left turn, Clyde. Cyclists slams on brakes and avoids collison, and informs Micra driver of his opinion of her both verbally and by the medium of one handed interpretative dance. Should there have been a collision, where does the fault lie?

The amusing coda to this tale, is that the cyclist proceeded to run a red traffic light at the next signal controlled junction. The prat.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 15:37

Tend to agree with your diagnosis of cyclist's condition A.

Micra driver should probably have been more observant on busy traffic, particulalry if there are plenty bikes around but cyclist was at fault for too fast to be in control etc.

Riding between cars and kerb carries a lot of risk though and should be conducted at no more than brisk walking pace. Unplanned turns such as you witnessed are one risk, passengers bailing from nearside doors are another and peds stepping out a third. Overlaid on those are usual gutter riding hazards of rubbish, broken surfaces, slippy DYlines and wheel trap gully drains.

Much safer to go on outside where people expect overtakers to be, bailing passengers are more likley to be cautious and you can see 'jay walkers' in plenty of time.

RLJ is probably prattish too. In most cases it just gets you to the one that's too dangerous to jump a few seconds sooner. Since my commute destination changed from Lincoln's Inn to Westminster though I'm encountering a couple of junctions with daft timings where I'm at a red light contemplating an otherwise empty street for 30-40 seconds. In the end I say a mental 'stuff it' and ride off.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 15:50

Car driver's automatic liability - Manatee
I admit my knee jerk reaction to presumed liability was negative. But I think that is looking at it the wrong way.

A lot of encounters, if they are disputed, are going to be one person's word against another's. Motorists are supposed to be insured for third party risks. Insurers are perfectly capable of orchestrating a defence to a large claim if there is evidence of a material degree of negligence on the part of the cyclist.

It's a little hard on drivers whose premiums increase as a result of claims being defaulted in their direction, but it might make some of them a little more aware of the way they drive around people who are very vulnerable in a collision.

Yesterday the minor roads here were almost clogged with cyclists, some sort of charity run I think, numbers on backs and marshals at junctions. I noticed several times that when I overtook some and moved over in to the opposite lane, leaving them the whole of the left left, drivers behind who could have done the same instead straddled the white line and gave them a bare yard.

Of course the devil is in the detail. If it's working well elsewhere and everybody is happy with it, then we should look at starting from there. I wouldn't like to see drivers being 'criminalised' by presumption - evidence should still be required for prosecutions.

One should never pass close to cyclists when one is going quickly. The 'bow wave' of a fast-moving motor vehicle, followed immediately by the sort of suction behind it, is only too likely to destabilise a cyclist (or pedestrian for that matter). So if a wide berth isn't possible, slowing down, perhaps quite a lot, is the only option. Going very fast in twisty lanes, which I used to do quite often, is a bad idea for this reason among others.

Slow-moving town traffic is different of course. You can't always give the cyclist more than a couple of feet in that. You just have to try to ensure that the cyclist is steady and knows what he/she is doing. Most do, but there is a substantial minority of terrifying random wobblers.

Overtaking a line of traffic down the gutter is terribly dangerous. I've seen a cyclist come to (fortunately not fatal or very serious, but his bike was badly damaged) grief doing that, and he was within a foot or so of being killed. Not everyone remembers to check their n/s mirror every single time before turning left. Bromptonaut is right to recommend extreme caution when doing that.

Car driver's automatic liability - Robin O'Reliant
"Automatic Assumption of Guilt" flies in the face of natural justice and would rightly cause a massive outcry in this country in the unlikely event it were adopted. Even on cycling forums there are more against than for and it would promote a massive backlash against cyclists. I see the proposal applies to civil rather than criminal liability, presumably so the drivers insurers have to pay the cyclists costs automatically - well as a motorist I would say get your own bleedin' insurance if you want compensation for your bike and your injuries, and that is the same argument I used when I was a regular cyclist.

Quoting that it works in other countries doesn't mean it is right for us. In other countries the police carry guns, there's no national health service and the age of consent can be as low as 13- you'd soon kick off if we quoted their example as one to follow "Because it works for them".

Win a Brompton - Roger.
www.stylist.co.uk/win/win-a-1000-brompton-bike#image-rotator-1

Win a Brompton - Bromptonaut
Either that competition is running across multiple sites or there are several 'Berocca' bikes on offer.

Wouldn't want that particular model myself as it's got the short S bar and is, at best, a two speed.

Win a Brompton - Armel Coussine
On the way out of London last night, about 7 or 8, passed among many other bikes in Hammersmith Road a cat riding a genuine penny-farthing.

Win a Brompton - Crankcase
That was a serious double take image, AC, until I realised you were probably using redundant fifties slang.

Win a Brompton - Armel Coussine
>> you were probably using redundant fifties slang.

It's not redundant till I say Crankers.

I was impressed to see someone going down the bus lane on one of those. You wouldn't want to apply the brake and nosedive onto the road ahead. I reckon what they do is climb rapidly down the back onto the road at a trot.

I've seen more than one unicycle in London and a powered skateboard, terrific that. You can't help warming to these, er, cats (the skateboard was a woman I think).

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - L'escargot
Now that the subject of winter tyres has cropped up, do any cyclists fit winter tyres to their bicycle?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 10:23

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Runfer D'Hills
Well, ironically enough, given my relaxed attitude to car tyres, I do in fact swop the tyres on my mountain bikes around depending upon the prevailing weather.

My bikes are used fairly exclusively off road (apart from the odd occasion) and we spend most available weekends on loose, sometimes fairly challenging, forest or hillside trails.

In winter or when the weather has been wet I use super sticky knobblies but in summer or dry conditions ( even on loose surfaces ) I'll fit narrower tyres with much lower profile tread patterns. These latter are much faster in those conditions when outright grip is not at a premium.

It is though pretty amazing how the super-knobblies cope with sand, mud and even soft snow. Especially when climbing. On the summer weight tyres you'd have no chance in those conditions.

Maybe there is something in it for cars after all...

Hmm

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - L'escargot
>> It is though pretty amazing how the super-knobblies cope with sand, mud and even soft
>> snow. Especially when climbing. On the summer weight tyres you'd have no chance in those
>> conditions.

I had no problem with summer tyres on my tricycle in the severely snowy winter of 1947 when the snow was up to the top of my wellies!

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Fenlander
>>>pretty amazing how the super-knobblies cope with sand, mud and even soft snow.

That's why I keep my soft knobblies on the bike all year round... never know when it will cut up rough on the way to the village post office.

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Bromptonaut
>> Now that the subject of winter tyres has cropped up, do any cyclists fit winter
>> tyres to their bicycle?

See discussion here:

www.cyclechat.net/threads/winter-tyre-choice-top-contact-or-studded.138874/

I've not read it all but impression is that advice is as variable as that here for cars.

Personally, I leave the bike at home and use an Oystercard if London's streets are likley to be slippy. There is however a point where roads are clear but pavement between tube and office is treacherous. At that point the bike comes out again.

Hopefully I won't face that dilemma again as, following redundancy, my last day of service is 30 November

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Haywain
"do any cyclists fit winter tyres to their bicycle?"

I stick to Schwalbe Marathon Pluses on my bikes throughout the year. Round these parts, the biggest PITA in winter is the sharp grit thrown around by the council; I've not experienced a single puncture since switching to SMPs.

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Duncan
>> I stick to Schwalbe Marathon Pluses on my bikes throughout the year. Round these parts,
>> the biggest PITA in winter is the sharp grit thrown around by the council; I've
>> not experienced a single puncture since switching to SMPs.
>>

Aren't they a pig to fit though!

Cycling Corner - Volume 5 - Haywain
"Aren't they a pig to fit though!"

Yes - they were at first - in fact I nearly gave up the first time. I then discovered that the trick is to really work the bead fully into the well of the wheel-rim.

SMPs are a little bit heavier than 'straight' Marathons, but I found that when I went from 35c Marathons to 28c SMPs on my old Dawes - and pumped them up hard - the bike seemed a lot quicker!

I'd absolutely recommend SMPs to anyone using a standard touring or hybrid type of bike - especially if you hate punctures!

Tour of Britain - crocks
I've been watching the Tour of Britain on ITV4 all week. Today I decided to go and have a look at it live.

I cycled over to Epsom Downs and watched all the cyclists leave from the grandstand and then I rushed down into Epsom by a back route and saw them all again as they headed south into the Surrey countryside. There were a lot more spectators than I was expecting.

After the cyclists went past, one of the team cars pulled in to the petrol station I was standing by and started filling up. The car had about six bikes on the roof and so I was a bit surprised by the lack of forward planning. It then moved to the airline and when it finally left to catch up the peloton I noticed it was running on a space-saver wheel. I hope the preparation of the bikes was better.

I'm now back at home and watching it on ITV4. One nice touch was as the peloton passed through Elstead there was a wedding party at the side of the road and a photographer trying to get a photo of the bride and groom with the cyclists in the background.
Last edited by: Crocks on Sat 21 Sep 13 at 15:54

Richard Ballantine - RIP - Bromptonaut
Only picked up in last couple of days when it was reported in Cycletouring that Richard Ballantine died earlier this year.

Richard's Bicycle book, initially borrowed from the library, turned me from a bike rider into a cyclist. His chapter on traffic jamming was an education; advocated riding primary before the word was invented - I think he called it riding high.

This afternoon I've been servicing a tip bike acquired for The Lad to take to Uni drawing heavily on the knowledge and confidence gained thirty five years ago from the relevant bits of Richard.

Any of the other cyclists on here similarly inspired?

Richard Ballantine - RIP - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Any of the other cyclists on here similarly inspired?
>>

Not by Ballantine, I thought he was nuts to be honest. He knew his stuff on cycling but he was so anti motoring as to be a total fanatic. The last article I read by him was back in the nineties in a short lived monthly called New Cyclist or something similar, in which he advocated the banning of cars and suggested goods could be moved round by teams of cyclists towing trailers and wanted the government to encourage the idea by giving everyone a bike. The piece was full of similar bits of surreal fantasy and even the publication (Founded and edited by Jim McGurn) jokingly(?) asked if Richard had finally lost it. He also displayed an undercurrent of contempt for racing cyclists, which I hardly found endearing.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 20:45

>> >>
>> >> Any of the other cyclists on here similarly inspired?
>> >>
>>
>> Not by Ballantine, I thought he was nuts to be honest. He knew his stuff
>> on cycling but he was so anti motoring as to be a total fanatic. The
>> last article I read by him was back in the nineties in a short lived
>> monthly called New Cyclist or something similar, in which he advocated the banning of cars
>> and suggested goods could be moved round by teams of cyclists towing trailers and wanted
>> the government to encourage the idea by giving everyone a bike. The piece was full
>> of similar bits of surreal fantasy and even the publication (Founded and edited by Jim
>> McGurn) jokingly(?) asked if Richard had finally lost it. He also displayed an undercurrent of
>> contempt for racing cyclists, which I hardly found endearing.

I subscribed to New Cyclist or a while and, without buying the whole dream, enjoyed large parts of it. My point was, I think, about him being a cyclist who knew his stuff and shared it in plain language. Maybe others did same but RB wrote in my language and at my time.

Richard Ballantine - RIP - Zero

>> Any of the other cyclists on here similarly inspired?

No, I am still trying to work out the difference between a Bike Rider and a Cyclist.

>>
>> >> Any of the other cyclists on here similarly inspired?
>>
>> No, I am still trying to work out the difference between a Bike Rider and
>> a Cyclist.

Same as difference between those who treat cars as white goods like a vac or washer and those who understand how the component bits works and have a feel for how and where thy're going.

Richard Ballantine - RIP - CGNorwich
Ah the old "white goods" argument. Actually to drive a car well doesn't need a detailed understanding of how the thing works, just an understanding of the controls and enjoyment of operating the thing.

Would have thought that the operation of a bicycle is pretty simple and obvious but would agree that a need to know where you are going is essential ;-)

>> Ah the old "white goods" argument. Actually to drive a car well doesn't need a
>> detailed understanding of how the thing works, just an understanding of the controls and enjoyment
>> of operating the thing.
>>
>> Would have thought that the operation of a bicycle is pretty simple and obvious but
>> would agree that a need to know where you are going is essential ;-)

Perhaps it would be better put as white goods analogy. There are people out there who drive cars, though perhaps not well, who treat them like a washing machine; put stuff in and go. If it's lucky it gets serviced but otherwise it's just run until it breaks. Daughter notices this working in drive through at McD's - cars that make odd noises, smoke etc.

Then there's stages of mechanical understanding, sympathy and driving to conditions. A nirvana most of us here have probably attained.

Same with bikes. One can ride a a bike, even a good one clumsily, too close to kerb, blindly thru' red lights etc. Ignore maintenance or pay and pray a shop does it properly.

Or you ride making progress but following principles of observation and planning. Enjoy keeping the mechanicals just so and tweaking for best performance.

Richard Ballantine's writing helped me move from the former state to the latter

Richard Ballantine - RIP - Runfer D'Hills

>>No, I am still trying to work out the difference between a Bike Rider and a Cyclist.

Oh that's easy. I'm a keen and regular bike rider but I'm not a cyclist. They do lycra and attitude and stuff.

Sometimes, well, quite often really, I drive my car but I'm not a motorist. They do my head in too.

I'm not averse to going for a walk either but I'm definitely not a walker. Red socks and all that guff aren't for me.

I swim most days but I'm not a swimmer. No condoms on my head and surf shorts do me just fine.

Geddit?

:-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 22:08

>> Geddit?

Goddit

Richard Ballantine - RIP - Pat
It's the same thing as the difference between trucker or lorry driver.

..and don't get me started on LADY Trucker.

When I meet one they get told to get over themselves:)

You wouldn't understand Z!

Pat

>> You wouldn't understand Z!

No dear.

(see I understand perfectly)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Sep 13 at 09:57

This morning's idiot cyclist - Alanovich
Shot on to a roundabout without giving way, causing the VW Passat approaching from his right to brake hard. Much tootling followed.

Then, immediately afterwards on the same roundabout, the same future organ donor (hope he doesn't smoke, more useful bits for everyone else) tries to filter up the inside of a Ford Galaxy stuck on the inside lane of the roundabout waiting in a queue for the traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing just after his exit to turn green. There wasn't enough room, he wobbled, and had to put a foot down on the roundabout itself and stop. At least he didn't fall in to the stationary car's door I suppose.

My missus was in the front seat of our car, and gave a terrified screech at each incident, convinced she was just about to witness some road jam being produced.

Utter cretin, and so full of the "I'm entitled to run at full tilt and give no quarter just because bicycle" attitude.

Racing road bike, lycra, the full cliché. Wazzock.

This morning's idiot cyclist - Bromptonaut
>> Shot on to a roundabout without giving way, causing the VW Passat approaching from his
>> right to brake hard. Much tootling followed.
>

Never fear, Darwin's near.

Unrelated, but how's Mrs A's Brompton doing? (or is it still on the production line)

Being picked up form the shop on Saturday. She's nervous, never been much of a cyclist before. Happily she can avoid roads for most of the journey between home and station, and again from Paddington to work.

This morning's idiot cyclist - Manatee
Assume she's ridden one. They feel very quick on the handlebars compared to a big bike, but that feeling disappears when you are used to it. The front wheel feels more prone to slipping too - worth taking extra care cornering on wet surfaces. Other than that I find it a very nice ride.

And if you can get anywhere near 100psi in the tyres with that little pump, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I use the compressor.

>> Assume she's ridden one.

Nope. She'll be sent out to practice this weekend.

>> And if you can get anywhere near 100psi in the tyres with that little pump

I've got one of those floor standing pumps with pressure gauge (Lidl) at home, I'm presuming that will do the job.

>> Assume she's ridden one. They feel very quick on the handlebars compared to a big
>> bike, but that feeling disappears when you are used to it. The front wheel feels
>> more prone to slipping too - worth taking extra care cornering on wet surfaces. Other
>> than that I find it a very nice ride.
>>
>> And if you can get anywhere near 100psi in the tyres with that little pump,
>> you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I use the compressor.

The ride is improved by adding one of Brompton's front panniers - restores normality to the steering action. I'd endorse Manatee's comment about a tendency to slip. Wet manhole covers and yellow line paint can trap the unwary. Schwalbe Marathon tyres improved this markedly over Brompton's own brand (but those have since been improved) but care is still needed.

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

Well she's survived her first Paddington-Victoria ride, using the paths through the parks and back streets.

I had a go on it on Saturday afternoon. Jesus but the brakes are ferocious. Or maybe it's just that I'm used to the brakes on my old purple Raleigh mountain bike of dubious quality and uncertain age, which barely work in comparison.

She's still getting to grips with folding/unfolding the bike, not the most mechanically minded of people.

I checked the tyre pressure for her, but I couldn't get my pump to hit 100psi before the valve started blowing the air back out. Hmm. Do I need some kind of special valve for high pressure applicaiton? Tyres seem firm enough for now.

Might well get meself on of them thar cheap jobbies from Decathlon now.

>> Well she's survived her first Paddington-Victoria ride, using the paths through the parks and back
>> streets.

Good for her, it's suprisingly easy to find quiet back streets even right in centre of London. Tothill St and Petty France are pretty quiet and more or less parallel Victoria St. Hope she keeps it up.

>> I had a go on it on Saturday afternoon. Jesus but the brakes are ferocious.
>> Or maybe it's just that I'm used to the brakes on my old purple Raleigh
>> mountain bike of dubious quality and uncertain age, which barely work in comparison.

Earlier models had 'Saccon' side pull brakes that were barely fit for purpose. They were followed on the Mk 3 with a dual pivot device of B's own design. Effectiveness further improved my successive redesigns of the levers. The most recent were intorduced this year and are on my list to retrofit.

>> She's still getting to grips with folding/unfolding the bike, not the most mechanically minded of
>> people.

The key to folding/unfolding is that the seatpost locks the folded package. You cannot unfold the main frame until the saddle is raised. The bike sits nayurally on 'easy wheels' with folded rear triangle acting as a stand, good fot ticket queues etc

Unfold/Fold technique is as follows:

Stand to left of bike. Raise the handlebar and screw it's clamp closed. Unlatch the saddle, raise to desired height and re-latch. Hold handlebar stem, lift slightly to unhook front section of main frame from chain stay and, with slight stirring motion move it into riding position and clamp. Unfold left pedal drop pannier (if present) onto headstock, lift rear of bike using saddle and 'flick' out rear triangle. Ride away.

Folding is more or less reverse. Fold rear triangle under and detach pannier. Unscrew main frame clamp and swing round to engage hook on chainstay. Lower saddle, lower bars and fold left pedal.

>> I checked the tyre pressure for her, but I couldn't get my pump to hit
>> 100psi before the valve started blowing the air back out. Hmm. Do I need some
>> kind of special valve for high pressure applicaiton?

Get 100psi OK with either my Bontrager track pump or the electric jobby on the (Aldi) jump start pack. Ordinary pumps, including that supplied with bike, are good enough to get you moving after a flat but will never struggle to get more than about 50psi.

100psi is actually a bit high unless you're on very smooth tarmac at all times. Take fifteen or so off for greater comfort on broken surfaces.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 13:48
Cheers, Bromptarooney.

Well three days in and the bike's broken. One of the two gear selectors (6 speed model) has stopped working. Just clicks back and forth doing nothing. So she's lost 4 (I think) gears. It felt a bit stiff from the outset, and as I'd never used one before I thought that's just the way it was. Evidently something inside the plastic selector on the handlebar has snapped/broken/dislodged.

So much for good design and quality manufacture.

Not going to attempt to take it apart and have a poke as it's brand new. Back to the shop with it on Saturday. Sigh.

@Alanovic

Right side changer (dérailleur) or left (3 speed)?

Either way you're right to take it back.

Right side, Brompski. The one with two levers on. Actually, why are there two?

Presumably, moving the levers is not giving any corresponding movement of the toggle chain on the rh side of the rear wheel spindle?

If so then it's simply a cable or lever problem and shop should resolve it easily. If toggle chain is shifting but there's lost movement inside the hub you've got a serious issue e.g. a failure of the selector key. That's going to need a wheel swapped out unless dealer has kit/skills to slot a new mechanism into the existing hub.

If you want to ask questions about B's there's an active 'Brompton Talk' list on Yahoo Groups. Simon Koorn, who runs a Brompton dealer/distributor for Benelux contributes regularly on tech issues

Hopefully factory will get whatever is needed out to your dealer pretty quickly.

Both levers both do same thing, idea of design is that one is always in easy reach of your thumb.

>> Presumably, moving the levers is not giving any corresponding movement of the toggle chain on
>> the rh side of the rear wheel spindle?

That sounds right. I'm just a bit concerned/fed up that a £1000 bicycle fails like this after 3 days. Is it just going to keep on happening? If it breaks every week, it's not much use to anyone.

This morning's idiot cyclist - No FM2R
>>If it breaks every week, it's not much use to anyone.

Its Karma. You brought a Renault.

Which is failing once every 7 weeks on average so far.

Renault 1 Brompton 0.

;-)

>> That sounds right. I'm just a bit concerned/fed up that a £1000 bicycle fails like
>> this after 3 days. Is it just going to keep on happening? If it breaks
>> every week, it's not much use to anyone.

I hope and believe you've just been unlucky - failure out of the box suggests a faulty component or miss-assembly.

In fourteen years and two Bromptons the worst I've had is a couple of cable breaks, both due to wear/corrosion. Only bought the second because they'd improved a lot between 99 and 09 and work offered a C2W salary sacrifice scheme*. The old one was still serviceable until earlier this year when I removed the hub gear for overhaul and have yet to reassemble it.

*I still owe the final 'market value' payment on this bike. Waiting to see if HR have remembered and ask for it before I ride off into the sunset in 6 weeks time. My money is on them having shredded relevant paperwork in one or another of their office moves.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Runfer D'Hills
So, like many, I use GT85 as chain and gear lube. Doesn't seem to last very long and has to be re-done most weeks but is effective and doesn't gather crud too badly when the going gets dirty.

Anyway, last weekend, I was prepping the family bikes for an off road trip and ran out of GT85. Couldn't be bothered to go into town to get some more so raked around for something else to use temporarily. decided against WD40 ( it drys out to quickly ) but found a bottle of good old 3 in 1.

Having forgotten its ability to gather every speck of crap into itself and form clumps of gritty paste on all the bikes vital parts I squeezed and spread liberal quantities on all the chains, gear mechanisms and hub bearings.

Warning ! Do Not Do This ! ( especially if you are intending to ride loose sections of the Sandstone Trail. )

Took me hours to clean them off on Sunday night, my wife's toothbrush will never quite recover I'm afraid.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 16:23

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - bathtub tom
>>GT85 unlike other everyday sprays, gives non-oily lube and will not dry off, or drip and it is pleasantly perfumed with real lavender oil!

A sweet smelling, sweaty cyclist, I bet you're a wow with the boys.

;>)

Not fussy now who gets excited as long as someone occasionally still does ! Ever get your gear arm fixed?

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - bathtub tom
>>Ever get your gear arm fixed?

Waiting delivery. Will report back results when I get a round tuit.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Rudedog
Just be careful, GT85 is great but not recommended for use on your chain, I've always used one of the Finish Line range of products designed for chain use, I'm trying their Ceramic Wet Lubricant at the moment.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip. I've always used GT85 because it's "clean" and doesn't gather crud. Our bikes are mainly used off road and get pretty grotty most weekends which means I usually hose them off and re-lube most weeks. I'll have a google at that CWL stuff ( carefully ! )

;-)

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Duncan
I use engine oil for lubricating the chain and derailleur gear on my bikes. I figure if it can cope with a cam chain whizzing round at 4-5,000 rpm it can cope with my 90 rpm cadence on a bike. Plus it's much cheaper and easily dispensed.

Try to remember to dismount on the left hand side, if you can, it keeps oily things away from your clothing.

One should always mount or dismount from the left anyway. As with horses. Anything else is just bad form.

Having said that, I do admit to dismounting fairly randomly but in mitigation, those are purely on occasions when it's unplanned and unintentional.

;-)

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - borasport
GT85 - dunno what it does, but it's £2.99 for a large spray can at Aldi at the moment - is that good ?

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Robin O'Reliant
GT85 is no better than WD40, ok for a squeaking gate hinge but little else. As someone said above, Finish Line is the best I've used for chains.

A lot of off-roaders, including me, use GT85 in preference because the crud doesn't stick to it. Admittedly, it doesn't last long and needs to be re-applied after each ride especially if you've hosed the bike off. Never caused any chain damage that I'm aware of anyway. I expect if you just squirted some on every other August bank holiday it'd be fairly ineffective.

>> GT85 is no better than WD40, ok for a squeaking gate hinge but little else.
>> As someone said above, Finish Line is the best I've used for chains.
>>

But, WD40 isn't a lubricant; is it?

Isn't WD40 a solvent; no?

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - CGNorwich
"But, WD40 isn't a lubricant; is it?"

It is according to the makers. Also see their comments on use on bike chains.

wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Slidingpillar
Do not go on what the makers say - it's hype at best.

WD40 is primarily a water displacer. It works by attracting moisture which then falls away with the excess WD40. However, any WD40 that remains continues to be a water attractor and from that point of view, can instigate rust. It also is very poor at just being a light oil.

For a light oil in an aerosol, I use 3 in 1 but I have also heard good things about GT85.

>> Do not go on what the makers say - it's hype at best.
>>

Yes they only make the stuff. What would they know.? Best to get your information from real experts.

>> >> Do not go on what the makers say - it's hype at best.
>> >>
>>
>> Yes they only make the stuff. What would they know.?
>>

And of course, the manufacturer is completely unbiased!

If you actually read what they have to say you will see that it is factual and informative.

Of course manufacturers want to sell their products and put it in the best light but they don't normally tell lie about its content and are a considerably safer bet for reliable information than most sources of 'facts' found on the internet
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 13 Oct 13 at 10:14

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Zero

>> WD40 is primarily a water displacer. It works by attracting moisture which then falls away
>> with the excess WD40. However, any WD40 that remains continues to be a water attractor
>> and from that point of view, can instigate rust. It also is very poor at
>> just being a light oil.

I have never had WD40 instigate rust.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Clk Sec
>>WD40 is primarily a water displacer. It works by attracting moisture which then falls away with the excess WD40. However, any WD40 that remains continues to be a water attractor and from that point of view, can instigate rust. It also is very poor at just being a light oil.

For a light oil in an aerosol, I use 3 in 1 but I have also heard good things about GT85<<

I use both WD40 and the more expensive 3-in-one Professional, but for the many door locks, catches and padlocks that I lubricate, it's always the latter - regardless of what the manufacturer might tell me.

And, they're both from the same stable.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Slidingpillar
I have never had WD40 instigate rust.

Depends on where the bit you've squirted is. Even then, I used the word can not 'will'. WD40 does have its uses, but it's not as useful a product as the hype would have you believe.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Manatee
Wd40 is something close to paraffin, and I believe the WD stands for Water Displacement. Good for cleanings things, and stops your door locks freezing.

GT85 doesn't seem that different but does have some PTFE in it. It claims to lubricate, protect, penetrate, loosen, clean and shine as well as displacing water!

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Dutchie
Lubricate penetrate loosen clean and shine something for the bedroom?

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Bromptonaut
I agree with Humph, GT85 is ok for chains etc and seems less prone to attract crud. That's quite important when your chain and tensioner are low down and, in the wet. running in the spray off the front wheel.

The lubricant needs to be inside the rollers and between the plates. Spray on run chain round to distribute then wipe surplus off outer surfaces. Repeat regulalry.

Works OK for me though I might use more expensive stuff on the 1986 tourer if it got out more.

Phew ! Thanks for that Bromp. I was beginning to think I must have been moments away from destroying my chain for years now ! Our bikes do plus or minus 30 miles off road most weekends. Not huge distances I'll grant, but pretty grimy and periodically extreme conditions some of the time. I've found that provided they're cleaned and re-lubed after each mucky run they're fine and GT85 seems to be the line of least resistance when it comes to getting the balance between ease of cleaning and adequate lubrication. I guess for those who routinely do longer runs on road bikes it might not be as suitable due to its tendency to dry out fairly quickly.

I'm still suffering from my waywardness with 3in1. Despite a thorough clean prior to this weekend's activities and a re-lube with GT85 the chain and gear wheels are thick with stuck on gloop and congealed grit. Suspect I may have to dip and strip them in some petrol or something to get the wretched sticky oil fully off.

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - NortonES2
I cleaned off the derailleur on the Stumpjumper using a plastic bottle, mutilated to fit over the hanger etc. and a bit of white spirit, as a bath to wash the muck out. Then GT85 again.
Oh now then, I like that idea NIL !

Ok, just don't do this to your mountain bike... - Bromptonaut
>> GT85 - dunno what it does, but it's £2.99 for a large spray can at
>> Aldi at the moment - is that good ?

Now clearing, at least in Towcester store, at 99p. Picked up two cans!!

Light fantastic - Runfer D'Hills
Ok so, it has been a while since I did any night trail riding but with the dark nights coming I was thinking of organising a "spook route" outing one night in a local forest.

The major issue with offroading in the dark is well, the "dark" really. As the surface is by definition changeable and occasionally angularly challenging you do need good lighting especially as forests are pretty dark places at the best of times at night with very little ambient light even if there's a moon to help.

In the past I've relied on my cheapo but trusty bar mounted LED backed up by a headtorch but I'm being told by those who do it regularly that I "need" proper kit. Not sure about the "need" bit but there you go.

So anyway, I started having a googling and think I may have to go for a lie down. Check out the prices of some this kit...

www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/best-mountain-bike-lights-28195

Light fantastic - Zero
this will do the biz

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Cycle-Front-Rear-Light-Set-Dynamo-Classic-Retro-Vintage-Style-/130967033142

Light fantastic - Runfer D'Hills
Might be more suited to your bike ! ( WADR )

Light fantastic - Armel Coussine
>> this will do the biz

Heh heh... those sidewall dynamos really slowed you down. The hub ones weren't much better. During the war my old man had a tall bike with a sidewall dynamo outfit on it. For a while he took me to school downtown in Bath on a small seat on the crossbar with footrests on the front diagonal bar. I liked it especially in the rain, watching the water coming off the tread (mainstream square-block dunlop I think).

These days it has to be serious batteries and very powerful leds surely? Don't go down a ditch in the dark Runfer.

Light fantastic - No FM2R
I once borrowed by Grandmother's aged and seemingly cast iron bike to cycle from Emmer Green to a scapyard the other side of Sindlesham - Bearwood Road.

Tied string around a Citroen GS half-shaft, slung it over my shoulder where it stopped all blood flow, and then cycled all the way back again, after dark with the dynamo on.

I almost expired and crawled off this mortal coil. And Alanovic ought to appreciate what a horrible journey that was - Emmer Green, Cav. Park, Sonning, Woodley, Earley, Sindlesham and back.

As I said, I very nearly died and it was the dynamo which finally did for me. I walked back up the Lowfield Road. A journey of 8 miles each way according to the AA.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 15 Oct 13 at 01:06

Light fantastic - Armel Coussine
>> I very nearly died and it was the dynamo which finally did for me

Giggle...

Reassuring to be agreed with... I've remembered that being a machine person, my old man had a 3-speed hub on his tall black bike, the gears changed by a small lever in a quadrant on the crossbar. I can't remember whether the lever was in front of me or behind me on my nipper seat, carved out of wood by the old man, padded, and secured firmly with metal strips bent and drilled... but I can remember the different rhythm of quiet ticking in the upper two gears...

Light fantastic - Alanovich
>> And Alanovic ought to appreciate what
>> a horrible journey that was - Emmer Green, Cav. Park, Sonning, Woodley, Earley, Sindlesham and
>> back.

Crikey Moses. I think I'd have gone through town for the better street lighting - was Lower Earley in the way when you did that?

I went to that scrapyard earlier this year to look for a door mirror for my Galaxy. Occasionally visit with a mate when he needs needs bits and bobs for his 2 Mk1 Ford Focii.

Light fantastic - bathtub tom
>>As I said, I very nearly died and it was the dynamo which finally did for me

I've a bottle dynamo on my bike. Reckon it helps keep me warm as I tend to use it mostly during the winter months. It's the extra effort that does it.

;>)

Light fantastic - No FM2R
No, Lower Earley wasn't in the way - or at least, there wasn't much of it.

And many other routes may have been safer, but I wasn't going anywhere that would have extended the length of my torture.

How many times in my youth I started repairing a car and then found I needed a bit that I now couldn't drive to go and get.

But going that far on my Grandmothers old bike with a drive shaft round my neck, was the last time I was quite that dumb.

Latest Forum Posts