Non-motoring > Folding bike required Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 28

Folding bike required - Alanovich
Right, I need a folding bike for the boot of the car. I don't need anything fancy, and it doesn't need to be ultra light or compact, as I'm not going to be lumping it on trains and the like. Just going to put the bike in the boot, and dump the car at my children's school and cycle the 3 miles from there to work and back. I need some gears as there is a hill on the route. I want cheap.

So. This one:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321122929065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

or this one:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380633781552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The listing's ended on the second one but I expect they'll get more stock.

Over to the panel.
 Folding bike required - Focusless
I know you're not going far, but I would try to make sure the saddle extends high enough for comfort before purchasing.
Tricky over the internet. Is the frame size the most important aspect of this?
Couldn't tell you I'm afraid - obviously that seatpost needs to be long enough, and I'm not sure whether the frame size guarantees that. I suspect not.

Have you tried Berkshire Cycles (one in Woodley) and/or other local shops? Presumably anything they have is going to be more expensive.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 29 Aug 13 at 15:19
Presumably anything they
>> have is going to be more expensive.
>>

Vastly. The missus has just ordered a Brompton at Berkshire Cycles for £1200. Wince.
>> Vastly. The missus has just ordered a Brompton at Berkshire Cycles for £1200. Wince.

Yikes! I can see Halfords list 3 £200 jobbies on their website, one of which (the Raleigh) looks a bit like the one in your first link. Might be worth having a look to get some idea of proportions.
>> Might be worth
>> having a look to get some idea of proportions.
>>

Good idea. Might look at Decathlon's jobbie too.

www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376961-city-and-commuting-bikes/N-102587-type-of-bike~folding-bikes#
>> Good idea. Might look at Decathlon's jobbie too.
>>
>> www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376961-city-and-commuting-bikes/N-102587-type-of-bike~folding-bikes#

Ah yes - I'd forgotten about them. That one looks nice, although despite the 3 in the title I can't spot any (hub) gears...

EDIT: "Single-speed drive train requires low maintenance and ensures high performance"
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 29 Aug 13 at 15:41
Wrong link. Meant this one:

www.decathlon.co.uk/bfold-5-folding-bike-id_8248976.html
..and if you want cheap (and the chance of an easy return if no good):
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3324680.htm
>> ..and if you want cheap (and the chance of an easy return if no good):
>> www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3324680.htm

Albeit heavy and, judging from the reviews, crap :)
Nice one, cheers. Hadn't thought of Argos.
 Folding bike required - Zero
>> Right, I need a folding bike for the boot of the car.

Yes very wise. A renault and all that.
Here comes Bernard Manning again. More comedy gold.
 Folding bike required - Zero
Its a cracker.
That was Frank Carson.

Edit: btw, the Laguna is. A cracker.

:-)
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 29 Aug 13 at 15:38
 Folding bike required - bathtub tom
Where's Bromp when you need him, but you can guess what he'd recommend.

Look carefully at the weight. The first one you listed weighs half as much again as the second - you're the one that'll be pedalling it!

Do you really need a full suspension mountain bike for your use? How many mountains will you encounter on your perceived use?

You mention you'll be cycling to work. I'd suggest FULL mudguards (look at the stripes cyclists without get when the road's wet) and a decent carrier for you briefcase/lunch/whatever.
 Folding bike required - Alastairw
I briefly owned a Bickerton - the other British built folding bike. It was quite heavy, but folded down quite small. I got rid because I didn't use it much. Got more than I paid for it at about £110.

I bought and sold it on ebay - got to be worth a look.
 Folding bike required - Robin O'Reliant
The only one of those I'd touch with a bargepole are Decathlon. They have a good reputation for budget bikes, the others are no more that BSOs, or Bicycle Shaped Objects. They probably have a service life of around 250 miles before the cheap bearings and badly built wheels start to fall apart. And not much longer before to folding bit becomes permanent.
 Folding bike required - Bromptonaut
A Brompton that fits the bill, say M3L, is going to be £800++. Now it'll do what it says an tin AND retain value but appreciate it might be too much or Op's budget.

Second best would be a Dahon or third the Decathlon model.

Those posted look like (Folding) BSO's. Pound to a pinch of piggy poo they'll not be used for more than a month.

See this phenomenon quite often in my commuter train - previous tube or bus user appears on train with 'bargain' folding bike. Cycles for max of five weeks before crap fold, overflexing frame or sus/weight issues mean bike is abandoned.
I appreciate folding bikes might be different, but I used to commute nearly 20 miles a day between Reading and Bracknell on an £80 'mountain' BSO (from a Smiths car parts shop). Lasted nearly a year IIRC before the bottom bracket wore out, when it was replaced under warranty.

EDIT: no suspension, so wasn't too much of a deadweight
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 30 Aug 13 at 09:28

>> See this phenomenon quite often in my commuter train - previous tube or bus user
>> appears on train with 'bargain' folding bike. Cycles for max of five weeks before crap
>> fold, overflexing frame or sus/weight issues mean bike is abandoned.
>>

Good points, Bromptarooney. Bromptons are WAY too expensive for what I want for that very reason. I won't be using it every day, I won't have to rely on it, and I'll probably get all nancy boy when it gets a bit chilly. So it's a cheapie for fair weather I'm after. I know my limits.

My missus is just starting a new job which involves a Reading-Victoria commute - that's why she's ordered a super-light fully loaded Brompton and will ride it from Paddington to Victoria via Hyde Park/Green Park sort of way. Planning to do it all weathers, we'll see how that goes.......
>> My missus is just starting a new job which involves a Reading-Victoria commute - that's
>> why she's ordered a super-light fully loaded Brompton and will ride it from Paddington to
>> Victoria via Hyde Park/Green Park sort of way. Planning to do it all weathers, we'll
>> see how that goes.......

Good luck to her. I've been using one from Euston to the Kingsway/Lincoln's Inn area and latterly to Westminster since 1999. Hyde Park/Green Park should be a pleasant ride. TfL do cycling maps which highlight quieter streets and, used together with Google Maps/streetview, are good for planning a route.

It'll take her a week or two to discover best way to go and learn things like traffic light sequences or any junctions best avoided.

As for 'all weather' the number of instances in a 220 day working year when it's bad enough to deter are surprisingly small. Gave up risking snow/ice after my tumble last year and leave bike at home on those days.

If it's really persisting it down on way in a Brommy can be folded and taken by bus/tube/taxi, ditto in case of breakdown. Suitable quick dry clothing, Rohan does for me, helps considerably.
>>Planning to do it all weathers, we'll
>> see how that goes.......

This morning saw first rain during commute time since return from leave on 14 Aug. Drizzle at Euston progressing to light/medium shower over 20min trip to Westminster.

Didn't even don a waterproof but was wearing right gear. Polyamide Rohan top is a bit damp but same company's bags - admittedly the water repellant variant - shrugged it off.

Lot of people in London today clearly didn't listen to weather forecast.........
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 6 Sep 13 at 09:12
>> Second best would be a Dahon

Someone got off the train in front of me this morning with an unfolded Dahon, single speed model (if there was a Sturmey Archer hub I missed it). Looked very neat and uncomplicated; no idea how much it would have cost though.

>> You mention you'll be cycling to work. I'd suggest FULL mudguards (look at the stripes
>> cyclists without get when the road's wet) and a decent carrier for you briefcase/lunch/whatever.
>>

Good points BT, but I'm going to be an absolute cissy and not bother if it's raining.
 Folding bike required - WillDeBeest
... the Laguna is. A cracker.

What's it cracked this time?
Oh good, another comedian. My sides once again twitch in anticipation of the next fatal blow to their integrity.

:-)
 Folding bike required - No FM2R
You obviously have a good sense of humour.

Hence the Renault, I guess.
Latest Forum Posts