Non-motoring > Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 49

Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Zero
EZY439H out of Luton has squawked emergency over the channel, and done a sharp 360 degree about turn and looks like its returning to Luton. Flight level 10, speed 275 knotts
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - sherlock47
Well it is halfway back, having now turned thro 180 degrees :) and since it is apparently going to Luton, cannot be too serious. But maybe that is where they can do the cheapest maintenance?

Question for Z - I tried to track a flight (Flybe) from Soton to Beziers yesterday using both Flightradar and /or Radarvirtuel, (to allow me to meet and greet with a minimum of wasted time), but could not find that flight or anyother Flybe flights from Soton. Any ideas why?
Yes sorry a 180!

No flybe aircraft appear on flight radar 24, they have the wrong type of transponders.

Easyjet has reached the ground - as it is taxiing towards the terminal I presume that it landed sucessfully!

>>>No flybe aircraft appear on flight radar 24, they have the wrong type of transponders. <<<

Thanks for that - it has confirmed what I had guessed was the issue.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - zippy
Are the Flybe aircraft turboprops?

Glad the Easy Jet made it home safely!
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - bathtub tom
>> Are the Flybe aircraft turboprops?

tinyurl.com/lpld34h
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - zippy
>>tinyurl.com/lpld34h

Doh!

Thanks!
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - R.P.
Mis-fueling causes a crash. Listen carefully to the report...!
Mis-fueling causes a crash. Listen carefully to the report...! WTF? :

planefinder.net/flight/EZY439H/time/2013-08-24T11:25:00%20UTC

Having had a closer look at a playback from above is it my imagination or was the plane lower in altitude than would have been expected by this point in the flight? It dropped to 10,000 ft very quickly to return altho I would guess that that was to give vertical separation for 'oncoming' traffic?
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Meldrew
Sudden intentional loss of altitude could have been pressurization failure "Masks like tghis will drop down etc"
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - spamcan61
Had an Embraer 195 on a Dublin -Soton flight a while back, really nice plane, quiet and (relatively) roomy, even at the back.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - diddy1234
Dropping down to 10,000 feet could be a pressurisation issue but could be numerous other issues as well.
The APU units can only be started below 14,000 feet so it may not be a pressurisation issue.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Fursty Ferret
>> Dropping down to 10,000 feet could be a pressurisation issue but could be numerous other
>> issues as well.
>> The APU units can only be started below 14,000 feet so it may not be
>> a pressurisation issue.
>>

On the Airbus the APU can be started at any altitude. A battery start is forbidden above 25,000 feet, however, and it can only supply bleed air for air conditioning and engine relights below 22,500.

Useless trivia for the day. ^^
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - sooty123
How else do you start the APU if not off the battery? Can't you cross bleed for engine relight?
The APU is normally started from external power via the transformer-rectifiers since you get a faster and more reliable start (greater starter motor assistance). Without external power it's preferred to use one of the engine generators to start the APU, but failing that a battery start can be performed. However, there's no ability to monitor the start until the APU generator comes online and it takes longer to start.

In a dual engine failure scenario attempting a battery start will use about 35% of remaining capacity, so it's delayed until below 25000 feet when start is guaranteed. In a single engine failure you can cross bleed, but APU bleed always preferred because a cross bleed start on the ground requires high engine power. In the air, if an engine fails in flight the FADEC automatically attempts a relight if windmilling speed high enough.

From iPad so apologies for autocorrect problems.

Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Roger.
In the air, FF? :-)
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - sooty123
Interesting FF quite a few differences from what I'm famailar with. Surprised it's a bit of a struggle to start the APU off internals, I suppose it's not designed to operate from austere locations. Thanks FF.

One quick one, can external power by either AC or DC or can it just take AC?
External power AC 115V 400Hz only.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Bromptonaut
>> No flybe aircraft appear on flight radar 24, they have the wrong type of transponders.
>>

They must be upgrading. Never seem their flights on there until today. Now showing BEE161, a Dash 8-400 G ECOP, descending for LUT on a service from Isle of Man.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Bromptonaut

>> They must be upgrading. Never seem their flights on there until today. Now showing BEE161,
>> a Dash 8-400 G ECOP, descending for LUT on a service from Isle of Man.

Now on its way back to Ronaldsway as BEE6UV just going over my gaff climbing thru' FL180.

Can hear it but too much cloud to see.
>>>EZY439H out of Luton has squawked emergency<<<

did anyone find the original cause?
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - BobbyG
If I am understanding my app cprrectly, there seems to be an issue on a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Madrid just now, doing a u-turn and heading back to Paris by the looks of it!
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - WillDeBeest
Did any of you sky-watchers get anything from DL4 on Wednesday, which swallowed a bird on its way to JFK and returned to Heathrow after the engine started vibrating? A colleague was aboard and suffered nothing worse than a door-to-door journey that took 23 hours, but I wonder how it looked from the ground.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - MJM
Kentucky fried?
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Armel Coussine
>> Kentucky fried?

Minced. They really ought to use something suitable for turbine blades. Tsk. Molybdenum or something, not old bits of tin.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - MJM
I thought that they used ceramic turbine blades nowadays, AC. Could have arrived plated up and ready to serve!
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Kevin
I believe that turbine and compressor blades are still made of high nickel content alloy. BSC Stocksbridge (now Tata) just north of Sheffield used to supply RR and GE with steel for turbine components.

Fan blades are Tungsten alloy.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - Armel Coussine
They aren't made of the right stuff if they can't mince a heron or goose without breaking.
EZY764X Bristol > Pisa just squawked south of Paris and has done a 180 heading back towards paris.
>> EZY764X Bristol > Pisa just squawked south of Paris and has done a 180 heading
>> back towards paris.

Heading into PCDG for an unscheduled stop.
 Sqwauk 7700 Easy Jet - AnotherJohnH
>> They really ought to use something suitable for turbine blades.

AIUI they push the limits of what can be done - if you've got the odd hour, watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfomloUg2Gw
The turbine blade technology is fascinating, especially in the high speed section. You probably never get to see one close up but they're exquisite bits of engineering. Every so often I get to take a peek through a boroscope (usually after I've sucked a bird through the engine...).
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 3 Sep 13 at 09:04
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - Manatee
As we've now started plane spotting, a Thomas Cook 767 flight TCX2538 on its way from Manchester to Antalya, Turkey, has just squawked 7700 and turned back over the Wash. Looks as if it's heading in to East Midlands.
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - Manatee
Now on the ground at Castle Donington. Maybe offloading a few rowdy passengers!
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - Roger.
"I've sucked a bird through the engine."
Hmmmmmmmm!
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - R.P.
Flew to and from Cyprus with them. Haven't been with them for years - not better or worse than any other airline - no frills - but staring at the back of a seat for 5 hours (at an advert for snacks) was going a bit far. Service at Manchester was absolutely abysmal, turned up 2.5 hours early for my check in and barely made it in time to board. Had to wait an hour for my luggage this morning. A320 out and A319 back - both clean and presentable despite the quick turn-around - I've been on worse - I was stuffed next to a fat bloke on the way out - too close personal contact at arm rest level and a squaker on the way back :-(
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - legacylad
I too find Mter check-in appalling for short haul flights. We flew to Innsbruck in April with Austrian Arrows. Arrived 2.5 hours before departure time to find a huge queue at check in. Which then opened 2 hours before departure. Once open, check in took almost 90 minutes, everybody was going skiing with hold baggage, and despite quick tracking through security had no time for a leisurely breakfast at the Escape lounge for which we had paid £20 each. I try to avoid Manchester airport at all costs.
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - Armel Coussine
In 1977 I think I took the Friday night shuttle from Lagos to Accra. Arrived at the appointed time and put my luggage down in the long queue of luggage and people in front of the appointed check-in desk. No one appeared behind it until close to takeoff time. Everyone in the queue immediately surged up to the desk in a jostling crowd, the more shameless elements shouting and waving wads of money above their heads.

Somewhat to my surprise I got onto the aircraft and found my numbered seat without having to bribe anyone. A young woman slid into the next seat and said: 'Hello Armel. I am Gladys. I meet you at Fela house when Jimmy Cliff was there.' I didn't recognise her but it was true all right. Another surprise. The flight reached Accra two or three hours late, after midnight. There wasn't a bus and I was strapped for cash in general and Ghanaian currency in particular. However Gladys was Ghanaian and her brother had come to meet her in an army lorry crewed by squaddies that he had somehow managed to hire or subvert. She was a trader and had a huge amount of luggage, soap and other goods bought in Lagos at high prices and destined for markets in Ghana where the prices in degraded cedis would be truly vertiginous. And they gave me a lift into town and dropped me at my appointed hotel.

Sounds fun in retrospect and I used to love that sort of thing, but the anxiety alone was quite wearing even in my thirties. Dunno if my innards would stand up to it these days.
I've just remembered something else about Gladys: she was or claimed to be (but without actually saying so) functionally illiterate and got me to fill in her landing card. When in po-faced European fashion I jibbed at forging her signature - a bit shameful some may think - she didn't get annoyed but got some other bloke to do it.

Remember that this was a working businesswoman who very obviously knew what she was doing.

Travel doesn't broaden the mind exactly but it does open the eyes a bit.
 Sqwauk 7700 Thomas Cook - Roger.
When I worked at a, now defunct, soap factory in Nottingham, (late 1950s, early 1960s) many of the labourers were barely able to read or write, but beware if there was the slightest error in their pay slips.
Similarly, most could work out the most complicated betting combinations, which left my "O" level maths way behind!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 17 Sep 13 at 08:02
>> work out the most complicated betting combinations, which left my "O" level maths way behind!

You've got it Rastaman... who needs literacy when they have a mind like a calculating machine? First things first...
 Best 31 - Zero
Interesting one, BEST31 has squawked 7700, over norfolk. No flight details avail, could be military, its closely followed on the same flightpath by BOLAR71 - again no flight or plane details avail.
 Best 31 - Zero
Landed at lakenheath, Bolar71 just landed there, Bolar11 is coming in ont he same flightpath, and all three appear to have been practising bombing runs off the coast between Bridlington and Grimsby.

Didnt know you could get that much info off flight radar.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Sep 13 at 14:27
 Best 31 - BobbyG
Got the notification through but as you say, there were no flight details.
Where on flightradar does it tell about the bombings??
 Best 31 - Zero
>> Got the notification through but as you say, there were no flight details.
>> Where on flightradar does it tell about the bombings??

If you caught it early enough, the full flight path was shown, in this case a kind of saw tooth pattern up and down the coast.
 Best 31 - BobbyG
Ah, the flightpath was non existent when I got to it!!
 Best 31 - BobbyG
An A340 Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Toronto is currently doing a very large circle around half of Europe! Heading back to Frankfurt by the looks of it - had got as far as Norwich!
 Best 31 - rtj70
Always amazes me how many planes are in the air at any given time when I look on the FlightRadar24 website. Currently 7780 in the air!
 Flightradar 24 - Bromptonaut
Been watching today (augmented by my scanner), the storms made for a lot of non standard operation.

Flights from north and west that would normally hold in right turns south of the Bovingdon beacon were shifted to north flying wider patterns than normal, taking them nearly as far north as Bedford. Later they were also holding further out by Wescot.

The shift in the Bovingdon hold was making for some VERY unconventional routings for flights bound to Stansted or Luton. Monarch airlines flight 847 to Luton was sent round over Cambridge and St Neots before heading west again in downwind leg of a long circuit that eventualy saw him land on from west to east - runway 08.

Pilots and controllers both earning their corn - Chapeau.
 Flightradar 24 - Mapmaker
>>Been watching today

Brompton, you need to find yourself a job... three days a week perhaps. ;)
Latest Forum Posts