Non-motoring > conservatory roof problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 8

conservatory roof problem - borasport
Unlike the gas hob igniter, I don't think this will fix itself.

We have a square conservatory with an inclined roof, three perspex panels sloping away from the house.
Saturday am, swmbo observes the rubber piping at the top end on one panel is loose - I observe this is because panel has slipped and there is a 1/2" gap open to the elements at the top end. After working out how get access to the panel (the upvc facia of the conservatory was nailed in placed) I relocated the panel.
It was fine all saturday afternoon, and still fine yesterday eveneing, but it has now slipped again, and if it rains, everything is going to get a bit wet.

Any suggestions for short and medium term fixes ? I'm thinking of some sort of chock or shim at the bottom end for the time being.

conservatory roof problem - Zero
I assume the panel fits into a rubber channel?

Silicon sealant into the rubber seal, slide the panel in. Once the sealant has cured the panel is going nowhere.
 conservatory roof problem - Fullchat
How are the panels held in place? Is it UPVC capping that runs top to bottom and sits on the edges of adjacent sheets?
The perspex sheet should be supported either side by the aluminium spars. On each spar is a rubber gasket which does tend to stick to the sheet and hold it in position.
At the bottom of the perspex sheet should be a a piece of plastic which is a closure moulding behind which will be some breather tape to allow the honeycomb of the perspex to breath. At the bottom end of the aluminium spar should be a plastic finishing piece which should also stop the sheet from slipping downwards.
If you have the UPVC capping it may have 'splayed' in the heat of the sun thereby not pressing down and trapping the perspex sheet properly.
If that is the case I would remove the perspex sheet completely. Clean the sheet on the edges and the rubber gasket with some white spirit. Allow to dry and replace. I would then get the UPVC capping and warm it with a hot air gun. Start at one end, heat it and squeeze it inwards. Hold in this position until it cools. Work along its length. At the same time warm the part that clicks into the aluminium spar and splay using a decorating spatula.
Now replace the UPVC; you will need a mallet to knock it back into the aluminium spar.
What should happen know is that as you have returned the capping to its original shape it will press down much firmer on the perspex sheet holding it in place. The warm weather should 'stick' the sheet to the gasket.
I have a rubber mallet on the end of a piece of wood to assist in reaching the top of the capping.
If your plastic is brown you will find it distorts more readily than white due to heat retention.
 conservatory roof problem - Fullchat
Forgot to say. There is a piece of plastic that is stuck across the underside of the sheet about six inches from the bottom which clicks into the frame above the windows and fills the gap. This should also stop the sheet from slipping.
It is stuck to the perspex with double sided tape which could have failed. You may need to source some fresh tape. Clean the perspex and the plastic piece. fit the tape but leave the protecting cover on the upper surface. Position perspex sheet. When happy lift, remove the protecting cover and then lower the sheet which will stick to the plastic strip.
 conservatory roof problem - FotheringtonTomas
Perspex?? Yo'sho? I've seen these panels slip before - but they were glass, and heavy!
 conservatory roof problem - Dog
>>Perspex?? Yo'sho?<<

Polycarb most probably.
 conservatory roof problem - borasport
Whatever they are made of, the slipping one is currently held in place with a small wedge.

At least I now know how we can get access to paint the bargeboards at the back of the house - slide the panels out !
 conservatory roof problem - Dog
>>slide the panels out !<<

And be prepared for leaks come Winter.
 conservatory roof problem - rtj70
>> At least I now know how we can get access to paint the bargeboards at the back of the house - slide the panels out !

Health and safety will say scaffold to work above the conservatory.
Latest Forum Posts