Non-motoring > Movie warnings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 15

Movie warnings - Crankcase
When they put trailers for movies on the television these days, they often have small print warning, I assume, parents, about the content. I'm not sure what "mild peril" is, but I can guess. "Mild language" seems to me that they will be talking about lambs. But I've just seen one that says it "contains slapstick".

Are parents really worried they might expose their child to slapstick? Who decides that such a warning is necessary?

Movie warnings - R.P.
No nannyism gone mad - what the hell is wrong with the country/world ??
 Movie warnings - Manatee
I would have inferred that it contained nothing worse than slapstick, which might seem like useful information. I don't understand the letter codes.
 Movie warnings - Armel Coussine
They don't want to be sued when some child or adult moron tries to reproduce some of the slapstick and injures someone.
 Movie warnings - R.P.
The other one I was considering the other day was the news' passion for flash-photography warnings....surely those with photo-sensitive epilepsy know when to avert their eyes...
 Movie warnings - Slidingpillar
Yes, they do, but by the time abnormal flashes are detected by eye and the sufferer goes to look away, the photo sensitive epilepsy could already have been trigged. Hence warnings are given.
 Movie warnings - -
Like most rubbish it probably started in America where idiots need to be advised that boiling hot coffee might actually be hot.

No warnings and some half wit will manage to hurt themselves then sue for damages.
 Movie warnings - Bromptonaut
>> Like most rubbish it probably started in America where idiots need to be advised that
>> boiling hot coffee might actually be hot.
>>

The point there was that the coffee was actually near boiling; above 90 degrees C. Hell of a difference from the 50-70 you might expect. Furthermore, McD's had been advised of several 'near misses' but had taken no action to warn or otherwise change practices.

My paternal grandmother pulled a pot of boiling coffee over her arm as a toddler. The damage was apparent for the rest of her life.
 Movie warnings - Zero
>> Yes, they do, but by the time abnormal flashes are detected by eye and the
>> sufferer goes to look away, the photo sensitive epilepsy could already have been trigged.

Most people who suffer this way will have already been triggered by the flickering of the screen.

Those who remain will already know to never watch the news. Its pretty pathetic this constant beware this, beware that, beware the other, if you have been affected etc etc.
 Movie warnings - madf
>> >> Yes, they do, but by the time abnormal flashes are detected by eye and
>> the
>> >> sufferer goes to look away, the photo sensitive epilepsy could already have been trigged.
>>
>>
>> Most people who suffer this way will have already been triggered by the flickering of
>> the screen.
>>
>> Those who remain will already know to never watch the news. Its pretty pathetic this
>> constant beware this, beware that, beware the other, if you have been affected etc etc.
>>
>>

All politicians should come with health wealth warnings.
 Movie warnings - Zero
certainly been affected by them. No help line tho.
 Movie warnings - CGNorwich
You are talking about the BBFC "Insight "guide which is its it's not a warning of any kind. It's just some background information as to why the film has receive the rating it has

It is displayed under the title and running time for each film."

I suspect the film you are referring to is "Grizzly tales for Gruesome Kids" which is a "U" classification and for which the insight reads:

" Contains mild slapstick violence and rude behaviour"

If I was taking my grandchildren to see the film I think that would be quite useful and give me a good idea at to what to expect and whether I thought it was appropriate.

Other examples can be seen here.

www.bbfc.co.uk/

Nothing to do with Nanny states or reason to get hot under the collar, just the provision of information in a brief and clear format which some find useful.

Movie warnings - Crankcase
Well in this case it wasn't that film, but I had no idea about the Insight Guide. I've now looked at the BBFC website and that was really interesting. Thanks CG.
 Movie warnings - Bromptonaut
The BBFC guidance is quite odd sometimes. Apollo 13 contains mild peril and one sexual reference. The sexual reference is presumably the demonstration of docking with a beer bottle.

But MILD peril......... ????
 Movie warnings - L'escargot
>> Are parents really worried they might expose their child to slapstick?

It depends on what stick is being slapped.
;-)
 Movie warnings - Zero
depends on what child is being slapped by the stick surely?
Latest Forum Posts