Non-motoring > Gas Hob igniter Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 7

Gas Hob igniter - borasport
One of the four has stopped working. It still sparks, but the spark tracks down the side of the igniter rather than across to the burner.
Is there anything to be done, other than buy some matches ?
 Gas Hob igniter - Zero
is the igniter insulation cracked? If not you can clean it up with steel wool, and then spray some damp start round it (or whatever they call ignition sealer these days, can you still buy it?)

If its cracked, try the sealer anyway, but it will need a new one.
 Gas Hob igniter - MrTee43
There is usually an insulator around the electrode. Have a close look to see if it is dirty or cracked and check to see if it has not been bent causing the gap to be too big.

If it's cracked, it's a fairly easy job to replace it, by undoing the necessary screws and lifting the top plate off.
 Gas Hob igniter - MrTee43
Snap.
thank you chaps.
reverting to 'bloke option b'I decided to ignore the problem, we went walking in the Yorkshire Dales instead, and when we got home the problem appeared to have fixed its self. This, of course, is my default approach to all problems :-)

Gas Hob igniter - bathtub tom
Could SWMBO been over-enthusiastic with cleaning materials?

I had this problem with the 'touch-sensitive' buttons on a microwave oven, she was soaking them with a wet cloth. Made it do all sorts of strange things.

Spawn of SWMBO takes her MX5 soft-top through automatic car washes!

>> I decided to ignore the problem,

Which has now come back :-(

Assuming I can actually find the cooker/hob model number and source a replacement, how does one go about fitting it ?

We have a fitted oven and (as far as I can see) seperate hob, with no obvious way of removing the hob for access. If anybody knows, I'll have a go, otherwise its down to the pound shop for one of those lighter thingies
 Gas Hob igniter - FotheringtonTomas
See if the thing's cracked. If it isn't, then use a thin strip of emery paper to gently clean it up. You could use glass-paper or similar too. Do not use a wire brush, nor anything else metallic. Why? Because the material is harder than the metal, and you will end up with metal smeared onto the insulator. Metal, as you know, conducts electricity.

If it really is beyond repair, you could try breaking off the tip of the insulator, and bending the conductor in a bit (!).
Latest Forum Posts