Non-motoring > Cornwall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 19

Cornwall - Dog
Looks lovely, like anywhere in the UK at this time of the year: www.bing.com/?PC=BNHP

Our neighbour keeps leaving bags of produce hanging from our 5 bar gate, new Cornish potatoes today, cauliflower and potatoes last week, she even gave us a 1lb jar of scrumptious Cornish honey the other day from her sisters farm in Perranporth.

I sometimes think about moving on from Cornwall, having lived here nearly 16 years now but I suppose we all have these stupid thoughts now and again.

PS ... I have no con-nection with the Cornwall tourist board whatsoever :)

Cornwall - helicopter
Well West Sussex countryside looks pretty darn good as well Dog........ the Sussex Weald and the South Downs national park are quite beautiful and we have some great pubs hidden away.

Our neighbours arrived on Saturday for dinner bearing a cool bag full of strawberries and raspberries freshly picked from their allotment , we also regularly get the vegetables in season from them free of charge ......

So we had strawberries and cream for pudding last Sunday after a visit here

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/uppark/

One of the ladies in the office came in yesterday with freezer bags full of gooseberries fresh from the allotment ........ SWMBO is making gooseberry fool for the weekend... the heatwave continues.... life is good.....
 Cornwall - Dog
Yes, I know West Sussex is pretty darn nice, retpocileh, and if I had Lud's sort of money I wouldn't mind living there ;)

I've probably watched all the Escape to the Country episodes (plus all the repeats!) and, as I say, all the UK looks nice at this time of the year ... even Jockland.

:-))
 Cornwall - FocalPoint
Gooseberries - one of my favourites, yet, to judge from the paucity of them on supermarket shelves, they are not popular. Perhaps it's because of their sourness, which of course makes then perfect for fool - or, even better, crumble.

Dessert gooseberries, now - even better! (And even rarer.)
 Cornwall - AnotherJohnH
I think the issue with gooseberries is picking them - the spikes are pretty vicious and even get through my pyracantha proof gardening gloves.
 Cornwall - CGNorwich
Grow a thornless variety like "Captivator"
 Cornwall - AnotherJohnH
>> Grow a thornless variety like "Captivator"

I like that idea.

But it looks like a wait for any quantity of fruit, or getting hand down to the tune of 20 odd £'s (each) for bigger plants.

Perhaps I should train SWMBO to pick the existing berries.....
 Cornwall - corax
I have just started to pick raspberries on my allotment. They taste divine. Glen Moy are the ones that are ripe now, and the later Glen Ample that are just starting to become ready - they are even tastier. I have a thornless blackberry that produces large juicy fruits, and a red currant bush. They are all doing much better this year.

I'll give you a tip - don't eat semi ripe blue berries (still sour to the taste). I ate three and gave myself severe indigestion. I should have known - even the blackbirds wouldn't touch them.

A combination of these fruits with a dollop of ice cream or yoghurt is just heaven.

Plums and peaches to follow later.

It looks like a bumper crop on the allotment this year. Thank gawd after last year.
 Cornwall - CGNorwich
Had to leave my allotment to its own devices for 3 weeks as I went on hols to Canada. Surprised by how well everything survived despite lack of water. Weeds did even better of course. Sweetcorn doing really well and winter onions superb. Sunshine has made them really sweet. The root crops need a drop of water though.

Canadian blueberries are far better than ours - Size like marbles, sweet and you can buy them for a few dollars a kilo
 Cornwall - corax
>> and winter onions superb. Sunshine has
>> made them really sweet.

Yes! I noticed this too.
 Cornwall - Dog
>>neighbour keeps leaving bags of produce , new Cornish potatoes today, cauliflower and potatoes last week.

Tatters were carp, turned to water after little time boiling, she grows em in a green owse, praps that's why?

Cauli went in the bin - rigor mortis had set in, had some frozed peas instead.

I'm funny about food see.

Aunt Bessie's veggie toad-in-the-hole was nice though.

:}
 Cornwall - Manatee
>
>> , had some frozed peas
>> instead.
>>

>>
>> Aunt Bessie's veggie toad-in-the-hole was nice though.

>> I'm funny about food see.

You're right there!

I offered a colleague some eggs a while back when we had a surplus - told him I'd give him the freshest ones, organic (as far as we can control the chickens' diet) and free range.

He politely declined - his wife won't have anything that hasn't come from the supermarket, which she perceives as more hygenic.

Lord knows where she thinks eggs come from.
 Cornwall - mikeyb
Friend of mine at work sells her eggs for a quid a 1/2 dozen. I often buy, but another friend has told me hes not allowed them any more as his wife objected to the s#!t on them.

Sounds like another who doesn't know where there food comes from
 Cornwall - Dog
>> Aunt Bessie's veggie toad-in-the-hole was nice though.

>> I'm funny about food see.

You're right there!

haha! - try it, you'll like it :)
 Cornwall - Armel Coussine
A girl friend I had once made a quite decent cauliflower cheese, having cooked the cauliflower whole. It isn't my favourite dish, but she was my girl friend at the time so I ate it.

Until I came to the huge slug that had buried itself in the cauliflower and been cooked in its hole. Put a bit of a damper on the evening somehow because I didn't maintain a straight face. To be a gentleman when it counts takes iron self-control. I couldn't help wishing it had been in her half instead of mine.
 Cornwall - corax
>> Tatters were carp, turned to water after little time boiling, she grows em in a
>> green owse, praps that's why?
>>
>> Cauli went in the bin - rigor mortis had set in, had some frozed peas
>> instead.

Probably why she gave them to you.

"Ere, that geezer down the road, he's a veggie ain't he? Those manky 'tatoes and cauliflower, I'll offload them on his gate when he ain't looking. It'll do me a favour".

:))

I don't know why you'd grow potatoes in a greenhouse. Cucumbers maybe, or tomatoes to name a few.
 Cornwall - Dog
>>Probably why she gave them to you.

Wot appens is ... her sister grows them on her farm, Tesco reject them as being too small due to the wev so, rather than plough them back in, she gives them away but, I've had it here for 7 days, in the heat, and it's gorn orf ... I could have cut the mouldy bits off, but my names not Zero.

The Cornish new potatoes we get from the supermarket, covered in dirt are purrfect, so no, growing spuds in a greenhouse isn't to be recommended!
 Cornwall - Ted
Ah well.....we made one phone call and a nice man later rang the doorbell to present me with a bag containing 2 chicken curries with rice, onion bhajis and meat samosas. Opened a bockle of ice cold cider and watched Corrie.

Could life be any better ?

SWM didn't want to cook 'cos she's bin out every day this week tending no. 2 daughter who had her tonsils ripped out last Monday.

Ted
 Cornwall - Zero

>> it's gorn orf ... I could have cut the mouldy bits off, but my names
>> not Zero.

Funnily enough, neither is mine.
 Cornwall - Dog
G string.
Latest Forum Posts