Non-motoring > Cows attack woman walking her dog Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 21

Cows attack woman walking her dog - Dog
What concerns me with this story is that the woman did the right thing in letting go of her dog and then facing down the cows, just as I would have done, but the critters still charged at her causing life changing injuries:

www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Cows-charged-tossed-sat-woman-walking-dog/story-19531145-detail/story.html#axzz2ZQUbHxCY
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Armel Coussine
It's good sense to stay well away from cattle with calves, especially if you have a dog, but anyway. Public footpath or no public footpath. As any fule kno.

Nasty for the poor woman, very.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Manatee
Unsurprising suggestion from the family that cows with calves should be kept out of fields with footpaths through them - but impractical I should think.

The common factor is almost invariably the dog.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - CGNorwich
Completely impractical considering the number of footpaths that cross grazing land. Walkers should also be aware that in some circumstances it is not illegal to allow a bull on a field crossed by a footpath.

"It is an offence to allow a bull over 10 months old and on its own to be at large in a field crossed by a public right of way. It is also an offence to keep a bull of a recognised dairy breed (even if accompanied by cows/heifers) on land crossed by a public right of way.
Bulls which are less than 10 months old, or of a recognised beef breed and at large with cows/heifers are exceptions to this rule."

Cows attack woman walking her dog - madf
"She said the law should be changed to keep cattle with calves out of fields with public access and require signs to warn of the danger."

Presumably by the same logic, all roads should have signs saying "cars are dangerous and can kill"..
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Presumably by the same logic, all roads should have signs saying "cars are dangerous and
>> can kill"..
>>
>>

Well, not really logic.
"Attacks" from cars are accidents. Attacks from cows are deliberate, and from their perspective entirely justified.
I've been in similar situations to that poor woman when I've been out on the open moor with no where to run.

I let my dog off the lead, like she did, then I've 'faced down' the cattle, like she did, but then I've raised both hands high in the air and shouted as loud as I can something like "NETANYAHU!" that tactic hasn't failed me, yet.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - R.P.
Dog,

Have you been listening to an excellent little series of canine behaviour. Another R4 pearl.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0371jlf
Thanks Rob, I usually listen to BBC Radio Cornwall at that time of day, but I'll get it on the iPlayer.
>>Have you been listening to an excellent little series of canine behaviour. Another R4 pearl.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0371jlf

Very good Rob, I'll have to stop Milo licking his ass and then licking my nose!
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Ted

, I'll have to stop Milo licking his ass and then licking my
>> nose!

Quite right too........the poor beast doesn't want his nipsy infected !

Ted
>>
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Armel Coussine
>> the poor beast doesn't want his nipsy infected !

... or strangely numbed with all that lignocaine and crap they put in the toot down in the provinces...
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - L'escargot
>> ........... then I've raised both hands high in the air and
>> shouted as loud as I can something like "NETANYAHU!" ............

This one? بنيامين نتنياهو
>>This one? بنيامين نتنياهو

כי הוא לו, הרוצח מתל אביב
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - L'escargot
I treat any animal that I couldn't physically overpower as being an ornery critter which is best given a wide berth.
>> I treat any animal that I couldn't physically overpower as being an ornery critter which
>> is best given a wide berth.
>>

That doesn't actually leave many safe ones. I remember being in the doctor's waiting room once when someone staggered in pouring blood. His cat, which he was taking into the vet's next door, had suddenly panicked and struggled free. He attempted to hold it and it clawed his arms and ran off. The doctor had to call an ambulance.

I've had a nasty bite from a shrew about an inch long that I was trying to rescue from a cat.
Likewise spiders.

Probably most animals can put up a fight if they are motivated.
Dead sheep though are safe.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Zero

>> Likewise spiders.

I have had a regular British garden spider bight me so hard it drew blood!

>> Dead sheep though are safe.

full of germs and other nasties, not at all safe.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - Pat
>> from a shrew about an inch long that I was trying to rescue from a cat.
Likewise spiders.
<<

Cliff you old softie:)

Pat
>> >
>> <<
>>
>> Cliff you old softie:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

It's not about being soft - a shrew has a strong jaw and can draw blood with excrusiating pain. Also it hangs on.
Those big spiders can give a nasty nip, and are slightly poisonous.
But perhaps only with young :)

But animals seem to be able to sense people's attitude and fear. My daughter when too small to have fear would gently pick up bumblebees that were stuck behind windows and put them out without any harm.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - corax
>> But animals seem to be able to sense people's attitude and fear. My daughter when
>> too small to have fear would gently pick up bumblebees that were stuck behind windows
>> and put them out without any harm.

Very true. I've let many bees crawl onto my hand and put them outside or onto a flower. Never been stung in that manner. I got stung last year - the first time for years. I knelt down and didn't realise a bumble bee was on the back of my leg, so it got slightly squashed. I don't blame it for stinging me.

Wasps I don't like. It's the way they move - too fast and unpredictable. Hornets on the other hand are fine. It would take a lot to upset them. They can sound menacing. I saw one kill a dragon fly. It just chewed through the neck with it's powerful jaws and the head fell of the thorax. Ruthless.

Hover flies are brilliant. I can watch them for ages. Their flight skills are amazing. The big ones are beautiful, you can see so much detail. Likewise dragon flies.
When I was in Germany with my gf, a Hornet flew into my bedroom (it was the early days!) window and I freaked out BIG time never having seen a blimmin Hornet before.

Geezer from reception had to deal with it for me, later in the week, Margot showed me a Hornets nest, quite fascinating it was.
 Cows attack woman walking her dog - madf
30 bee stings this year so far. I am now relatively immune to their venom - pain normally goes after about 10 minutes.

Wasp stings are more painful - not immune to the venom.
Latest Forum Posts