Non-motoring > Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 14

Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Meldrew
Katie Bowman ended her relationship with a serving police officer. Subsequently she was breathalysed 70 times, 56 times in 12 months; She had her car seized by the police 6 times; received two fixed penalty notices against which she successfully appealed and was in court, but not convicted, on two charges of careless driving. Not a good news day for the Thames Valley Police Service!
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Focusless
Mrs F was watching Daybreak earlier where she was being interviewed - I could hear it from the kitchen. FWIW (not very much) she sounded non-chavily 'normal', and said she doesn't drink cf. the 70 breathalyser tests.
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Manatee
I've been waiting for this story to mature.

The erstwhile boyfriend seemingly didn't do that on his own.

According to my favourite paper (Private Eye, not the Daily Mail) she alleges harassment by a group of rogue officers based in ...High Wycombe.

She received a caution for assault, which stemmed from a claim that a "long whip" (in fact a furry toy swinging on a stick from a passenger window) had brushed a cyclist. The caution was rescinded after a police professional standards investigation.

Numerous "intelligence reports" were filed. These have resulted in the loss of her job in 2007 as an ambulance emergency call handler and to her dismissal from a job as a student paramedic three years later.

As police "intelligence" can be used on an enhanced criminal records check...Thames Valley's justification for suggesting she was "unsafe" for the job was to safeguard the ambulance trust from disrepute. The information held on her did not relate directly to children or vulnerable adults but the force said the pattern of her behaviour "poses a significant risk" if working as a paramedic. It cites the loss of her first job (thanks to Thames Valley!) as justification for blighting her chances in the second.

Finally, the "intelligence" stopped her becoming a special constable in 2011 - something she wanted to do as part of her studies (she is a forensic science graduate).

And so on, and on, and on...

TVP has still not removed all the reports, including one relating to a charge of tailgating police, of which she was cleared in court...despite dozens of stops, car seizures, reported alleged motoring offences, the caution for assault, she has not been convicted of any crime at all.

Perhaps she is a very slippery master criminal, or the police are utterly incompetent, or this is just institutional persecution which TVP will just not acknowledge.

More anon I suspect.

Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Falkirk Bairn
BOY FRIEND?
GIRL FRIEND CAN BE TRICKY AS WELL!!

tinyurl.com/o6k72rq
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Roger.
Mingers, both!
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Bromptonaut
>> Mingers, both!
>>

I don't think that opinion wil bother them too much!!
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Zero

>> She received a caution for assault, which stemmed from a claim that a "long whip"
>> (in fact a furry toy swinging on a stick from a passenger window)

And at that point I stopped and assumed she was just as screwed up as the copper. Smoke fire etc etc.
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Fenlander
>>>a furry toy swinging on a stick from a passenger window) And at that point I stopped and assumed she was just as screwed up as the copper

Your lad never have a furry toy on a stick? Our girls did and prodding cyclists with them was only just prevented in towns by the rear window cut-out button.
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Zero
Not when he was of driving age FL

Mind you I Know entertainment in the fens is a bit strange!
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Fenlander
>>>I Know entertainment in the fens is a bit strange!

Of course they did grow up in the Fen during the toy on a stick era but remember we've left the wetlands now and are clinging to the bank one side with our fingernails.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 18 Jul 13 at 12:59
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Westpig
This case seems a tad strange.

If this lady has been harrassed as described, then someone needs sacking and/or charging with misconduct in public office and going to clink..however...as Zero has intimated, there is the odd alarm bell ringing.

Has she assaulted or otherwise interfered with cyclists?

Has she tail-gated a marked police car..and if so why? Most of us steer clear of marked police cars even if we are 100% legit..and I certainly did so even when employed in the Police in a management grade, it's a natural reaction. Anything else would be confrontational and asking for trouble.

There's more to this yarn.
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Bromptonaut
{shock horror} I agree with WP {/shock horror}

There's something odd here. If the info re TVP is even 10% true then buns need kicking and frankly careers terminating. But you wonder if there was someting else going on.

If she sues for damages I doubt it'll get to court. CC will settle. Unless IPCC report I doubt we'll ever get full story.
>> {shock horror} I agree with WP {/shock horror}

Must be the hot weather, you've had a mellow moment. Can you easily get hold of a First Aider?
 Mind How you Ditch your Police Boyfriend! - Manatee
>>There's more to this yarn.

Of that there is no doubt. Unfortunately if the blame and secrecy, and blame avoidance, culture is as strong in the police as in the NHS we are unlikely to hear the truth of it before it is swept under the carpet and eventually settled out of the public eye.

It's puzzling, if true, that there can be so much interaction between the police and an individual who despite dozens of stops and numerous "reports" has been convicted of no crime.

To quote from a letter to [TVP Chief Constable] from Bowman's MP Dominic Grieve (who also happens to be the Attorney General)"most of [the intelligence reports] come across as entirely lacking in substance, and to border on the utterly trivial".

One report only notes what Katie was wearing, others that she was playing her music too loudly. Another, reporting that she was tailgating police, came around the same time as her vehicle was actually struck by a police van, for which Thames Valley apologised.

There were apparently 40 of these "intelligence reports". I don't know how common that is for somebody who has never been successfully run in for anything and isn't Professor Moriarty.

[the Chief Con] told Grieve that after an initial review (which was actually forced on TV by court action launched by the Bowmans) in 2012, some 20 reports...had been removed. [The Chief Con] promised a review of the other half.

Last month however...[the Chief Con] said TV had decided to keep the others -an extraordinary finding, given that one relates to ... tailgating ... of which she was cleared in court.

Intelligence reports can only be retained for proper police purposes such as protection of life or property, preventing crime and bringing offenders to justice, so it seems incredible that the review decided to hold on to another one involving playing loud music

I wonder if we will ever hear the truth of it. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a right PITA, but I think I might be too after 70 negative breath tests.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 18 Jul 13 at 14:20
>> >>There's more to this yarn.
>>
>> Of that there is no doubt. Unfortunately if the blame and secrecy, and blame avoidance,
>> culture is as strong in the police as in the NHS we are unlikely to
>> hear the truth of it before it is swept under the carpet and eventually settled
>> out of the public eye.

I hadn't read all that.

If the Chief Constable has kept a load of stuff AFTER a hoo-hah highlighted by the local MP, then there's definitely some substance to her being somewhat unhinged or something..because if the CC has had it reviewed and knows it is going to be under close scrutiny, he'd be rowing for the shore quicker than an Olympic Sculler.

The other thing is, don't take too much notice of the MP getting involved. They do that anyway, for anything, they'll just a write a letter on your behalf, to show they've done somehting, regardless of any merit.
Latest Forum Posts