Non-motoring > Pics from not so long ago Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 24

Pics from not so long ago - -
tinyurl.com/ocbet6g

OK its from the DM, but some great pics there.

Anyone else got links to pics of the true face of our country from any time not the usual pretty stuff.
 Pics from not so long ago - Zero
>> tinyurl.com/ocbet6g
>>
>> OK its from the DM, but some great pics there.
>>
>> Anyone else got links to pics of the true face of our country from any
>> time not the usual pretty stuff.

The true face of our country? OFFS, it looks like a sheethole. Nice pictures tho, glad we have moved on from there.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Jul 13 at 19:26
 Pics from not so long ago - Harleyman
Parts of Yorkshire are little different now; there's just more litter.
 Pics from not so long ago - MD
Stunning. Absolutely stunning. A different world.
 Pics from not so long ago - Crankcase
You could just use google images. Try adding the words source:Life to the end of your search and it will only show pics from Life magazine, for example. Or look at Getty images. Or if you feel up to it, use google images to search for Don McCullin pictures. He took very gritty pics on the streets of real people in London (as well as war photos, some of which are of course disturbing to say the least).
 Pics from not so long ago - Armel Coussine
The photos are excellent. What they show among other things is that change is perpetual, whether we like it or not.

In the sixties and early seventies I used to do market research, mainly on cigarettes, in Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and elsewhere. It was arduous, there was never enough time and people clearly often thought I was a Martian or something even weirder. But I loved the landscapes and liked and admired the working-class people who were my informants.
 Pics from not so long ago - -
He took very gritty pics on the streets of real people
>> in London

Thanks CC, i shall investigate those suggestions in due course.

I love real snapshot of the time pictures and video, yes OK the pics i linked to are apparently permission granted so in a way posed, not by professional models though but self conciously by real genuine working people in their own private world, quite amazing that those pics only come from 35 ish years ago, they look like they could have come from just after the war what with tied houses and old ramshackle cafes.

I'm sorry that i didn't do something similar, having seen from the lorry drivers seat working Britain as it changed from an industrial landscape into an office housing shopping and warehouse complexes, all on the same patch of ground in some cases where once men and women toiled real graft.
 Pics from not so long ago - Ted

For many years, I've driven past a house in Bradford Road, Manchester just like the one shown in Vulcan Street.

It's just part of a long factory wall, same brick. Front door opens onto the street and the woodwork is painted in a dark green. Thick velvet curtains, very dark looking inside. I imagine all sorts of Victorian fittings and furniture in there, with the Aspidistras !

I'd love to see inside....probably all ultra-modern designer stuff now. I guess it started life as a managers house for the factory.

Ted
 Pics from not so long ago - Bromptonaut
Particular memories as I lived in Leeds until I was 19 and went back regularly until 03 when my Mum moved to Leicester. Recall Quarry Hill flats, by the central bus station and Mum remembers them being built.

Might get her the book for Xmas.
 Pics from not so long ago - helicopter
There cannot be many 'dripping refinery workers' left these days.......

Imagine what the smell was like .....and living next door to it.
 Pics from not so long ago - borasport

>> Imagine what the smell was like .....
But it would have been one smell among many, something we don't remember as well. Passing a coal fired steam train the other day reminded me of the days when, especially in winter, everywhere smelt of burning coal
>>
>> >> Imagine what the smell was like .....
>> But it would have been one smell among many, something we don't remember as well.
>> Passing a coal fired steam train the other day reminded me of the days when,
>> especially in winter, everywhere smelt of burning coal

You couldn't, really. You were so bunged up with colds coughs and various bronchial ailments brought on by the air pollution, you couldn't smell a damn thing. Or see it through the smog.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 09:00
Evocative thing smell.

Dad's offices in Leeds in early sixties were in Sovereign St, opposite Queens Hall and old tramsheds. Adjacent to and probably rented from Goodall Backhouse of 'Yorkshire Relish' fame. Any smell of spices takes my memory straight back to there.
 Pics from not so long ago - Cliff Pope
>> Evocative thing smell.
>>

And the smell doesn't even have to be particularly pleasant, merely have significant associations.
I always remember the peculiar mixed smell of damp straw, cow dung, and spilled diesel, and I am instantly back on a farm in my childhood. Diesel alone doesn't do it, neither does straw or cow dung. It's the combination.

Another weird one is when I have ever had occasion to undo a joint in an ancient piece of gas piping in my box of useful bits. Just for a fleeting moment there is a hint of a whiff of old-fashioned coal gas, trapped in the threads for 50 years, now gone for ever.

I'd love a museum of smells, if it were possible to bottle them and sample a tiny amount.

I noticed the other day why the Vale of Rheidol train doesn't move me - it doesn't smell right.
They are real steam engines, but heated by paraffin or propane I think. Without the mixture of coal smoke and oily steam it just seems a sham, like watching an engine in a museum running on compressed air.

>> I noticed the other day why the Vale of Rheidol train doesn't move me -
>> it doesn't smell right.
>> They are real steam engines, but heated by paraffin or propane I think. Without the
>> mixture of coal smoke and oily steam it just seems a sham,

They have a nasty greasy smell, and you cant get smuts in your eye* The shimmering blue haze and aroma of burnt/unburn oil from a Deltic at full chat however smells fantastic.
(here is one I smelled earlier - www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scc2h5PflU )

*you can get a face full of oil soot as the "fireman" cleans it on route.
 Pics from not so long ago - borasport
Not all the time
The stink from British Sidac round the back of my Uncle Tom's would clear an elephants' sinuses in a few minutes, and Auntie Mary wouldn't hang any washing out if the wind was coming from that direction - anything nylon would tend to develop holes
God knows what British Sidac made, but the stream running through the plant was known locally as Stinky Brook and alternated between ferrous brown and swarfega green

>> God knows what British Sidac made,

Cellophane film apparently.
I worked in Bridgwater in Somerset in 1971 and they had a Cellophane plant which was an utter blot on the landscape.......

Those who used London Bridge Station in the 60's would always know they were approaching their destination by the overpowering smell of vinegar from the Sarsons factory .....
Last edited by: helicopter on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 10:39
From 'chavtowns.co.uk'.......

Bridgwater...

Where else would be voted “Britains smelliest town” by [undisclosed media organisation] courtesy of the Cellophane factory on its eastern boundary, (and the approximately 70000 unwashed armpits of its 40 odd thousand residents)
 Pics from not so long ago - Dog
>>Those who used London Bridge Station in the 60's would always know they were approaching their destination by the overpowering smell of vinegar from the Sarsons factory

Yup but, not as bad as the Marmite factory near the Oval in Kennington!
The smell of the Costa Coffee roasting house near Waterloo is pretty nice! The Mars factory in slough was always pretty pungent in a vomit inducing kind of way.
>> The Mars
>> factory in slough was always pretty pungent in a vomit inducing kind of way.
>

There's a Kraft factory near BAnbury with a similar aroma. In Northampton it's the Carlsberg brewery. That site also now brews Tetleys, another distinctive smell gone form Leeds.

Further up the Aire it was Esholt sewage works that assaulted the nostrils on a warm or damp day
 Pics from not so long ago - Cliff Pope
>> The smell of the Costa Coffee roasting house near Waterloo is pretty nice!
>>

I don't suppose the old brick kiln where they smoked kippers is still there, just over the wall of the ramp up to the taxi-rank?
 Pics from not so long ago - MD
The smell of Cows and/or Milking Parlours. Bootiful...
 Pics from not so long ago - Pat
You can't beat the smell of a garden in the early hours of dawn breaking.

These hot nights we get up around 3am and open all the windows and doors to find the Honeysuckle, Carnations, Sweat Peas, Roses and Evening Primroses all competing to be noticed.

The fish are lazily enjoying the surface of the pond among the water lilies and the tomato plants in the greenhouse smell delightful.

The cats are proudly displaying last nights 'finds' ..............and next doors new baby is screaming his head off:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts