Non-motoring > Scam / not scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 9

Scam / not scam? - borasport
Im sat in a campsite in Austria and the owner has asked for some help translating an email. The interweb is behaving oddly at the moment, so I cant do much research myself about the company sending the email
It claims to be for a free directory entry in 'campsite finder' on 'out and about live' and appears to come from Warner group publications
I cant google anything at the moment, so I'd appreciate any info anyone can find - I'm sure we are all aware of these directory scams and Mintz tells me he's had invoices for hundreds of euros in the past
 Scam / not scam? - Pat
Campsite Finder is a legitimate publication as are Warner group publications.

Campsite Finder state>>>

Add Your Campsite or Holiday Park Listing

Free and Premium Listing Comparisons

When you add your campsite or holiday park it will initially be a Free Listing.

Once it has been checked and approved by Campsite Finder Online you will be able to upgrade it to a Premium Listing for just £60 or €75 (inclusive of VAT) per year if you wish. The table below shows the differences.
<<<

So it is possible to be listed free by doing it yourself!

Hope this helps.

Pat
Cheers Pat
The email refers to a free listing but makes no mention of the option of paying for an upgrade
Mintz`s english is pretty good but I think he may have been stung before and my own experience of working for a small company and being badgered by telesales drones about unmissable opportunities in the directories they were about to publish....
 Scam / not scam? - rtj70
Not sure it's a scam:

www.warnersgroup.co.uk/News/475/Campsite_Finder_grows_to_5800_campsites

www.outandaboutlive.co.uk

Thirteen Austrian campsites on the latter site.
 Scam / not scam? - Mike H
Hi Borasport, as you might know I live in Austria and might be able to help with the German. Let me know if you want any help while you are here. Whereabouts are you this year?
 Scam / not scam? - Cliff Pope
I treat every unsolicited email as a scam if it is trying to sell me something or ask for information.

If I want a service I go and find one for myself. It's not worth the bother of investigating.
Even if the name and details appear genuine, it could well be a scam from someone masquerading as the genuine organisation.
Hi Mike, thanks for the offer, its not the German that is the problem, more whether or not the email was from a genuine company or not
Currently in the Zillertal again, stayed in a place called Bettenfeld near Rothenburg ob der Tauber on way down. SWMBO had it recommended by work colleagues - its a one horse town you wouldn`t find by accident in a million years, with one Gasthof, Grunen Baum, that is an absolute cracker. BB&EM came to just over 80 euros, with drinks and my meal consisted of at least half a pig - I bequeath this infomation to you all in case we don`t return from paragliding tomorrow
 Scam / not scam? - No FM2R
Like all these sites, its worth paying if it is likely to increase your revenue.

In this case accepting the 5,000 sites as accurate, this would appear to be quite low. e.g. Camping.info has almost 30,000.

Also, searching on Google using various combinations of Europe, camp and site, it never features on the first page. (or the 10th, for all I know, I only looked on the first).

So, since Google uses both search terms and ranking according to how often the site is mentioned on other sites, then I'd say that whilst it is probably not a scam, neither is it worthwhile.

It would appear unlikely that you'll be found often enough to be worth the money.

The mileage of others may differ.
 Scam / not scam? - Manatee
>>In this case accepting the 5,000 sites as accurate, this would appear to be quite low. e.g. Camping.info has almost 30,000.

Hence the offer of a free listing with the upsell.
 Scam / not scam? - Campsite Finder
Hi,
I am the Owner of Campsite Finder Online.com there is another directory called Caravan Site Finder which is owned by Warners Publishing Group. This email sound like it came from me as those are my rates for a Premium Listing. I also own a website directory for Suppliers to Holiday Parks called Holiday Parks Management.
Both are legit
I offer a free listing with an option to upgrade if wanting no pressure

The directory is for visitors to find holiday in the UK and Europe. I have just added online booking as well.
I hope this clears up the question above.
Please take a look at my website its the one with the VW camper on and the Computer guy in front of a tent.

Kind regards
Nina Blanchard M.D Campsitefinderonline.com
Latest Forum Posts