Non-motoring > Moving house - survey? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 18

Moving house - survey? - Focusless
We're looking to purchase a house built we think in 1929, although that's only the date on the deeds - might just apply to the land, and the house could have been built later? Definitely around that time though.

Anyway FiL says that some houses at that time were built 'on the cheap', so has advised us to go for a full structural survey. However SWMBO isn't sure whether it's worth it (cost ~£1k) - is suggesting just getting a valuation (£300) then experts to follow anything up, and perhaps a damp expert to have a look either way.

Any opinions? FWIW property is a 3 bed detached, seems to be in good nick on the surface.
 Moving house - survey? - Boxsterboy
As a chartered surveyor, I would recommend an RICS Homebuyer Report. Should be about £500-650 + VAT, depending on where you are in the country. This will tell you all you need, assuming there have been no major alterations and you are not planning any, and will include a valuation.
 Moving house - survey? - Netsur
House is now over 80 years old. If not re-roofed then roof is coming to the end of its life.

Strongly suggest full building survey which should not cost £1K but more like £600 for a house of this size. If you are near Manchester I can recommend a surveyor (not me!).
BB - I don't like the HBR. Too wishy washy for me and the value is a waste of time as the BS will get one done as well.
 Moving house - survey? - Boxsterboy
>> BB - I don't like the HBR. Too wishy washy for me and the value
>> is a waste of time as the BS will get one done as well.
>>

Wishy washy? Well, it depends who is doing it. I think the (new) HBR format is more customer-friendly, and more readable/understandable than many Building Survey reports I see. Horses for courses.
 Moving house - survey? - rtj70
We had a home buyers report on the house we've just bought. We also had one on one we didn't buy. The cost for these was about £450 for us but got 10% off the second one.

There was one report slightly better but didn't make sense for us.

We didn't have a mortgage and anyone wanting a mortgage would need a surveyor to do a valuation. I wouldn't rely on just this though.

Note the first house we did a survey on showed it had the front rebuilt off new foundations (and then I found out about underpinning of the party wall and the neighbour when I did a search).... so the survey was very useful!

Also on a property of this age, even with a home buyers report they will tell you to get damp and timber checks, wall ties checks, drains etc. etc.

If this is really a house in the 20s, then it's likely to have a cellar. If no cellar then it might be newer?

Final suggestion, before you get a survey done go to the council planning department and do a search for the property (appointment will be needed). This will be free. Had I done this on the first house we tried to buy earlier this year I'd have found out the building had been underpinned and spent nothing finding out. Instead it cost me just over £450!

Here's some sample reports so you can look at what this company offers in a report as a guide:

www.robertsandroberts.co.uk/example_reports.html

Recommend Roberts & Roberts (Stockport way) - guys who I know and do a good job.
 Moving house - survey? - MD
>> We didn't have a mortgage and anyone wanting a mortgage would need a surveyor to
>> do a valuation.

Complete Tosh. The House that I am sitting in writing this has a Mortgage against it. I didn't have a Survey, a Report or a Valuation. Agreed to but it in 20 minutes. Arranged the finance in 40 minutes. Explain that then.

M
 Moving house - survey? - Clk Sec
M

I'm surprised you were able to secure a loan in the absence of some sort of valuation.
 Moving house - survey? - FotheringtonTomas
A "homebuyers" survey will get you a lot more than a "valuation survey" which is for the bank (or whoever, if you need a mortgage) and almost worthless, but you'd do well enough by giving a local general builder a ton to give the place the once-over. I think the cost of these surveys is rather too high.
 Moving house - survey? - R.P.
I would and will be when I buy my next place - it can save quite a lot of bother and expense..
We didn't bother having proper surveys when we bought our first two houses in the 70's, although the second was newly built with the benefit of a 10 year guarantee, the first was over 40 years old and could have had structural problems.

Since that time we've had full surveys on each house that we've bought, including one that highlighted a major problem that may well have been missed on a more basic survey.

It's just peace of mind as far as I'm concerned.

Moving house - survey? - MD
>> although the second was newly built with the benefit of a 10 year guarantee.

Not worth a Monkey's cuss. Especially the NHBC. (No House Built Correctly)

M
 Moving house - survey? - Stuu
Before we got our modern house, we were set an a large 3-bed victorian terrace. On my dads insistance we had a full structural survey. The list was so long the estate agent didnt even try and convince us it was worth buying. The whole back wall of the house was making a bid for freedom aswell as the floors not being far off from going. In short, it needed about £25k spending on it immediately and a lot more over time. On a house for £123k thats rather alot.
The survey cost us £700 odd but he was there about 5 hours and the report was comprehensive and well explained. Money well spent.
>>Not worth a Monkey's cuss. Especially the NHBC. (No House Built Correctly)

Well, I should have added, I was much younger at the time and thought it was the bees knees!
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 27 May 10 at 19:35
 Moving house - survey? - Dog
I've bought & sold 8 properties and never had a survey but always paid cash (except 1st one)
I do my own survey using my eyes + common sense,
I always get into the roof space and check for woodworm etc., etc,
I check out the external roofing with binoculars,
You gotta be careful with older owses though and so £1k could end up saving you £££££?
Do you know any builders in your area who could kick the tyres for you, so to speak.
 Moving house - survey? - Bigtee
What type of property is this? stone/brick/slate roof, semi,detached etc.?
 Moving house - survey? - Focusless
>> What type of property is this? stone/brick/slate roof, semi,detached etc.?

Rendered brick? Tile roof, detached.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
 Moving house - survey? - henry k
>> >> although the second was newly built with the benefit of a 10 year guarantee.
>>
>> Not worth a Monkey's cuss. Especially the NHBC. (No House Built Correctly)
>>

As my old boss found out.( about 15 years ago)
The house he bought was 5/7 years old " so no need for a survey I am covered by NHBC !!!!!

Dry rot discovered - lounge, half the staircase and dining room removed and replaced.
Kangol used on the hall to expose rotted gas main and replace it.
All the ground floor block wood floor replaced etc.
IIRC total about £15K
Root cause was awful pumbing leaking under the ground floor that rotted the gas main etc.
Eventually he discovered that all the houses in the development had experience problems.
His insurance did not cover the original cause (£500 to repair) so he had to threaten the builder who eventually coughed up.

Latest Forum Posts