Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 13   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 107

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 13 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 14 *****

Volume 13 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 12 is here

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 01:38

ollie - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHX3GdxFsa0

One for your speakers there dog.

One of many steam specials heading for York over recent weeks, unusual tho, this is a different rather roundabout route, hence being filmed at Elstree & Boreham Wood.

ollie - commerdriver
Great video Z good use of the zoom, how many times zoomed was it at the start?

ollie - Zero
Oh blimey, seem to recall just over half the range. Its set to optical zoom only so that would be about 20 times or so. About 600mm 35mm equiv.

TBH the optics are not brilliant on this camera compared to some, but it was bought for its low light ability, audio capabilities, image stabilisation and its very very quick to focus and holds it well through zoom, rarely fooled. And it was relatively cheap.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Jul 13 at 13:55

ollie - Manatee
Is that your JVC GZ-EX515, Zero?

ollie - Zero
the very same.

ollie - Dog
You're doing a grand job Mister Zed Sir, I used to work for this Giza www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/546958/ in the late 60's when he had a gaff in Beak St. W.1.

I was only the 'dispatch clerk' on £9 pw, but I did get to visit many studios inc. Hammer, delivering the rushes and even going 'on location' at times.

He did say he would train me up as an assistant to his then film editor Peter Hunt, but I was young, and foolish, into pot 'n acid 'n Pink Floyd and if I had gotten in with that crowd, I wouldn't be the person I am now, like.

ollie - Dog
This was Peters gf at the time www.imdb.com/name/nm0713933/

I went up to his office one afternoon to ask for some money for the post, I just went in without knocking and Donna was in there too.

D'you mind knocking before you enter, he said, I could be fornicating on the floor with Donna.

I didn't know what fornicating meant back then :)

Another time, the phone rang downstairs, the receptionist wasn't in, so I answered the phone.

Is Peter there, a woman on the other end enquired, is that Donna, I said ... NO, IT'S HIS WIFE, came the reply!!

ollie - legacylad
We have steam specials rattling through my local station, Settle, every Weds & Saturday. I get a good view of the line for over half a mile, and I live half a mile from the line, so when in the garden I can hear the whistles several miles away. Unless the sheep are making too much noise! Or the Biggles boys are out in their fast jets using Giggleswick School chapel as a target.

Tangmere - Zero
We have a steam ban at the moment in certain parts of the country due to fire risk. If steam is allowed to run at all it must be assisted by other forms of power.

Luckily Tangmere was allowed out yesterday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bqBtGgJJU

Quite pleased with one. I locked it out with manual focus on a nearer part of the track, then zoomed past that point to get a soft look. With the heat haze I think it worked really well.

Tangmere - devonite
Good choice of "Steam Train" type music me thought! especially with the subtle "chuff-chuff" bits in, if you see what i mean!

Tangmere - Zero
A friend of mine who is a freelance music teacher/ film sound engineer mixed it for me. Its got some classical base (he did tell me what - cant remember - it has to have something altered in it to fool the youtube DRM sniffer) mixed with some techno bits and train whistle. I specified it had to be max 1 minute long and have parts where I could cut it short or fade it out.

HE did a good job.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Jul 13 at 11:22

Tangmere - Dog
I only watches em for the classic rock, wasn't hanging about though was it.

It managed to stop (drop out) twice while I was watching it, dunna speed test = 2.30Mbps.

Can't complain really at £6.74 pm inc. eve/wknd calls, have to plug into the master, and try it again (choo, choo!)

Tangmere - devonite
Notice it was pulling a "Gaggle" of West Coast rolling stock! - The West coast line is our local line from Carnforth - Carlisle! used to be owned by Furness railway Co if me remembers, opened in the 1860's!

Tangmere - Zero
Its this mob

www.westcoastrailways.co.uk

Main base at Carnforth, second place at Southall.

Typhoon ahoy! - No FM2R
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-23296285

Typhoon ahoy! - Zero

Christine Robinson, from the Sentry Post Snack Bar, said:" It can be very dangerous. If it had put its reheat on, there'd have been a lot of frazzled people that day

Christine would have some interesting burgers and hot dogs to sell!

Typhoon ahoy! - Bromptonaut
Afterburners pchahh!

Who else saw the Aardvark do its party trick?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=napWbYZru9w

About 40 seconds in.

Typhoon ahoy! - Slidingpillar
Christine Robinson, from the Sentry Post Snack Bar, said:" It can be very dangerous. If it had put its reheat on, there'd have been a lot of frazzled people that day

A largely idiot comment and journalistic ignorance in printing it. Putting reheat on when landing is next to unknown as you'd not be able to land at the sudden increased speed. It's a way of vastly increasing the power output of a jet and I'd not be too sure, but something suggests to me that applying reheat in ground effect may be a risky thing anyway.

Typhoon ahoy! - Zero
>> Christine Robinson, from the Sentry Post Snack Bar, said:" It can be very dangerous. If
>> it had put its reheat on, there'd have been a lot of frazzled people that
>> day

>>
>> A largely idiot comment and journalistic ignorance in printing it. Putting reheat on when landing
>> is next to unknown as you'd not be able to land at the sudden increased
>> speed. It's a way of vastly increasing the power output of a jet and I'd
>> not be too sure, but something suggests to me that applying reheat in ground effect
>> may be a risky thing anyway.

Like an emergency go around you mean?
 Typhoon ahoy! - Meldrew
Where reheat is fitted it is used for EVERY landing on a carrier SFAIK. Thus, in the event of the aircraft not engaging any one of the arrestor cables, it is already in full power ready to perform a "Bolter". If snivelling Christine doesn't like jet noise she shouldn't run a burger - bar at an Airshow - Top Tip!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 14 Jul 13 at 14:26

Typhoon ahoy! - Bromptonaut
While I take Mellers point about carriers surely dry power would be sufficient for a GA scenario when too low approaching 3k metres of concrete.

Typhoon ahoy! - Slidingpillar
Like an emergency go around you mean?

That would do it, but generally go arounds happen at the very last moment, ie over the runway, not at the airfield perimeter.

Typhoon ahoy! - Zero
>> Like an emergency go around you mean?
>>
>> That would do it, but generally go arounds happen at the very last moment, ie
>> over the runway, not at the airfield perimeter.

They happen when they are needed. The airfield perimeter is virtually "over the runway"

Oliver Cromwell goes to "skeggy" - Zero
On "The Jolly Fisherman"

Theres a scene in here, at Heckington, that could have been filmed 60 or 70 years ago, Manually operated gates, semaphore signals etc etc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1gVbQRmCZw

arty farty night shot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcsq7xVXvY

Oliver Cromwell goes to "skeggy" - Dog
I quite fancy a little cottage like those at Heckington - right next to the railway line.

Lemme know if you see such on your travels, even an old dilapidated Victorian wreck that could do with a few sheets of plasterboard and a tin or 3 of Magnolia, like.

Would have to be fairly isolated though, i.e. not many of neighbs, I don't do neighbs!

Oliver Cromwell goes to "skeggy" - swiss tony
Here is a glimpse of the man himself... ;-)

youtu.be/j1gVbQRmCZw?t=3m28s

Oliver Cromwell goes to "skeggy" - Zero
Wow how exciting for you.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Jul 13 at 11:12

Oliver Cromwell goes to "skeggy" - legacylad
Donkeys years ago my parents would occasionally spend a nights B & B at a small place called Bolton le Sands, just north of Lancaster on the west coast main line. They would leave me, a mere 10yo, with my 7yo bruv, at Hest Bank staion, with sandwiches and a bottle of orange juice. From the top of the old railway bridge, we got great long distance views up the line toward Carnforth. I vividly remember writing down train numbers in my Ian Allan guide book, and spotting a Britannia class was always a highlight of the day. They would leave us at 10am after bfast, then return at 4pm to pick us up and drive back to Bradford in the Herald estate.
There were also some self catering holiday railway carriages on a siding adjacent to Hest Bank station. We never did get to stay in them. Happy days. Somewhere I have slides of Oliver Cromwell taken on a Kodak Instamatic (I think).

Punts - Alanovich
Saw a couple of blokes on a punt the other day, just outside Reading, merrily punting past Thames Valley Park. In all my days living on or near the Thames, I've never seen one of these things on it, apart from the odd boater-hated, stripey-blazered twonk in Henley. A couple of scruffy herberts in jeans and t-shirts punting through glamourless Reading was a bit of an unusual sight.

Punts - Zero
Reading? Ah that was two blokes on a pallet with a scaffold pole. Both nicked.

Punts - Alanovich
Yes. Not wishing to denigrate my fine adopted home town, but it was an incongruous sight.

Punts - sooty123
merrily punting past Thames Valley Park.

I have to ask, what's that, some sort of exercise?

Punts - Armel Coussine
A punt on a shady bit of river is a very pleasant mode of locomotion actually. The technique is easy to master, the punt itself should have a sort of battered Edwardian grandeur, and you can stop where you like.

Of course no one having fun in a punt gives a toss for oiks on the bank thinking they are twonks. Unless the oiks start throwing mud and missiles.

Punts - No FM2R
>>The technique is easy to master..

Provided you do not try to hurry, do not try to show off, do not try to pose or even think about pretending to be nonchalant or cool.

Any of those behaviours will cause an instant calamity.

Punts - Manatee
>> >>The technique is easy to master..
>>
>> Provided you do not try to hurry, do not try to show off, do not
>> try to pose or even think about pretending to be nonchalant or cool.
>>
>> Any of those behaviours will cause an instant calamity.

You missed the most important specific, remembering to let go of the pole when it gets stuck in the mud!

Punts - Armel Coussine
>> most important specific, remembering to let go of the pole when it gets stuck in the mud!

Yup... but a small amount of experience enables you to feel when the pole has gone into deep mud, and the way to get it out is to twist it in good time.

And it is possible to punt in a modest unpretentious manner. You don't have to be either fabulous or a knob. To be fabulous, for example, you have to wield the pole with one hand only (not everyone knows that). But you don't look a knob if you use both hands, just practical. Similarly, you are going to get a bit of water on your arms and sleeves. Can't be avoided.

Punts slip over the water beautifully, but it's a mistake to try to go fast. You soon get tired, and the steering becomes critical if you don't want to look a twonk.

Punts - Zero
>> >>The technique is easy to master..
>>
>> Provided you do not try to hurry, do not try to show off, do not
>> try to pose or even think about pretending to be nonchalant or cool.

But that the point tho isnt it. Unless you can do it in a cool, nonchalant, or flashy showy way, you look a right knock kneed kwivering knob even if you stay dry. With punting you are either fabulous or a knob, there is no middle ground.

Punts - Duncan
The most important thing is, where do you stand when punting?

On the little platform at the back or in the bottom of the punt at the back?

Punts - Armel Coussine
Oxford punters stand on the duckboards at the stern of the punt and punt the thing forward. In Cambridge they stand on the foredeck and punt the thing backwards. Dunno what everyone else does. Being more or less symmetrical punts go equally easily in both directions. But the Cambridge style seems perverse to me.

Punts - Armel Coussine
I've been in two punts in Africa. Well not punts exactly, dugout canoes or 'pirogues', but propelled in both cases by pole.

One was across the Chari river from Ndjamena in Chad to the village of Kousseri in Cameroun, shallow enough to be waded and at that time a completely unpoliced frontier on the Cameroun side.

The other was far more exotic: some scapegrace buddies took me to see a bushy local family living in tumbledown houses balanced on tottering piles at the end of a long, unstable gangway over Lagos Lagoon, a vast shallow sheet of water that could claim to be an open sewer in those days.

I don't know what the family did for a living but I got as ripped as a stoat on their weed. Then we clambered down into their pirogue and poled about the lagoon for a while. Every stroke of the pole stirred up the generations of old and new crap carpeting the bottom. The pong was considerable, but the nose tires quickly and you stop noticing. Just as well in this vale of tears eh?

Nice archive Tube photos - Focusless
Dawn of the underground age: Fascinating archive pictures reveal backbreaking work that finally gave London the Tube (DM)
tinyurl.com/n5jy6lt

Nice archive Tube photos - Focusless
Another interesting tube-related story (DM again): tinyurl.com/k9rogpf

"When a house is not a home: The fake townhouses in New York, London and Paris that are just a front for hidden portals into an underground world"

Tube station for sale - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23600454

Nice archive Tube photos - Ted

Noticed in the first photo of Flather's set that virtually all the workers are wearing white(ish) tops.

Early hi-viz or just a hot day ?

Ted

Braunton - Zero
My first view of West Country Class, 34046 Braunton. Its been away for a lengthy refit

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHn9HKUcLoE

Camera work a bit shaky on the last scene, I was hanging off the parapet on the 9th floor of a car park.

Braunton - Dog
I'll miss seeing trains when I go to Mars ... good shot that last one, something different, like.

Braunton - Zero
Thats Braunton's first paying passenger run on the main line since 1965!

Braunton - Dog
You'll have to get into aircraft Mr Zed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-GuSOekc4

Braunton - MD
>> Camera work a bit shaky on the last scene, I was hanging off the parapet
>> on the 9th floor of a car park.
>>
HS10 still??

Braunton - Zero
Nope

Fuji GZ-EX515 video camera. Bought with the proceeds from advertising on my youtube channel.

Braunton - Zero
This is a cracker, I have been trying to get this effect for ages, checkout the pulses of the firebox lit against the exhaust as 34046 hammers through Weybridge in the dark and rain.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Remq33TrlnE

Braunton - Dog
wkd.

Yankee freight - Ted

Interesting documentary on the history of American freight trains.
42 mins...includes operations, engineering and archive.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjgC8t0t5Bc

Ted

Trains in the rain - Zero
Bit wet in Chertsey this evening.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ZRtCprFOA

Trains in the rain - Dog
Very good, the darkness and the rain added to the ambiance (I thought you were having a Jimmy at that last bit)

Trains in the rain - sherlock47
Dog
>>>(I thought you were having a Jimmy at that last bit) <<<

If you regarded that as a typical flow rate, I suggest you consult a urologist:)

Trains in the rain - Dog
I'm more into ufologists.

(*_*)

Trains in the rain - Duncan
Enjoyed that. Very atmospheric.

BTW. There's no doubt about it, we do suffer down South.

Trains in the rain - bathtub tom
Typical pedestrian as the warning lights change - red means run!

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 13 - R.P.
Pulling into the local Home Bargains earlier thought that the BMW's six cylinders sounded throatier than usual. Turned off and it was still there - looked skywards and saw a B17 lumbering slowly across the sky. These would have been a regular sight around here during the war as there was a transit base on the Island (still there and still busy). Amazing unexpected sight.

And before anyone asks I was looking for soap-flakes to wash a hideously expensive jacket. Nothing to do with austerity.

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 13 - Zero
Thought I posted this, but cant find it on here. If I have blame the Altxheimers.

Earlier this month I embarked on a small logistical exercise. Capture two heritage rail tours in the same place.

I missed it by seconds but it was a cracking day out. Ironically the Diesel is older than the steamer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A53pVGoT94

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 13 - Dog
A doppelgänger!

Good head of steam on that first shot, the loco went straight through my head being as I was wearing headphones.

34070 Manston - Bromptonaut
Battle of Britain Class 34070 Manston on a low loader going south on M1 - just by J19 at 13:40 today.

Bit of googling suggests a return to Swanage base after being on the GCR for a steam event last weekend.

34070 Manston - Zero
Indeed it was. The GCR does not have a link to the main line. (yet they are working in it, but tis a tricky one)

Sapperton. - Zero
One of the classic spots to to film trains, my first visit there, and it doesn't disappoint in any way.

This is GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 no 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe being very noisy indeed.,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9V9x0R_hWk

(tho I did fall over on the hike down and ripped my crag hoppers!)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Oct 13 at 16:51

Sapperton. - Runfer D'Hills
>>ripped my crag hoppers

Best get some ointment on that. Might go septic.

Sapperton. - Dog
Nice one, shot from that position it looked almost like an OO gauge, to me anyway.

Those clowns at the side of the track remind me of when I shot my movie.

:o)

Sapperton. - Haywain
Presumably it passed its emissions test OK? ;-)

3 locos - Zero
Here is a spot of the unusual, a bit long this, but you get close up action of three mainline locos all coupled together.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWvY2UKkSc

3 locos - Bromptonaut
Your camera was producing some odd effects with the departure board on the opposite platform at Bentley.

3 locos - Zero
>> Your camera was producing some odd effects with the departure board on the opposite platform
>> at Bentley.

Yeah, combination of two effects. One is the auto stabilisation / anti shake at work and the other is a standard strobe effect, the station boards have a scan and refresh rate rather like TV's.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Oct 13 at 09:04

3 locos - Duncan
>> Here is a spot of the unusual, a bit long this, but you get close
>> up action of three mainline locos all coupled together.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWvY2UKkSc
>>

I enjoyed that. Why were they travelling tender first?

3 locos - Zero

>> I enjoyed that. Why were they travelling tender first?

They have no way of turning trains on the Mid Hants Railway (Watercress line) they were sent down to work the gala services in one direction.

Turning steam trains on the main line is a real problem now, turntables no longer exist and triangles of tracks (using unusual junctions) are needed to be found to turn them round.

3 locos - Ted

You'll be able to send them up to Todmorden soon Z. The West to North curve is being re-instated to speed up the Manchester to Burnley service.

You could turn all three at once on that. Although I'm sure there still exist a few triangles where a full train can be turned. Just not in the right places !

Ted

3 locos - Armel Coussine
>> Turning steam trains on the main line is a real problem now, turntables no longer exist and triangles of tracks (using unusual junctions) are needed to be found to turn them round.

But looking on the bright side, they can go equally fast in either direction I think? Tiresome for the driver of course, having to peer over the coal and so on. And you wouldn't want to push a whole train a any speed of course.

Amazing that turntables no longer exist. Silly indeed.

3 locos - Bromptonaut
>> But looking on the bright side, they can go equally fast in either direction I
>> think? Tiresome for the driver of course, having to peer over the coal and so
>> on. And you wouldn't want to push a whole train a any speed of course.
>>
>>
>> Amazing that turntables no longer exist. Silly indeed.
>

There are still a few turntables - including a new one installed at Scarborough to facilitate the regular steam service from York. The closure of little used chords in triangular junctions where locos could be turned is another hurdle.

Trains are regularly pushed at speeds up to 125mph. On the East Coast line for example the trains are hauled north by the Class 91 loco. Going south they're pushed with the loco, brakes etc controlled from a 'Driving Van Trailer' at the rear. The Norwich line out of Liverpool St runs on a similar basis as does Virgin's 'Pretendolino' relief unit.

I think the first recent example dates back to 67 and electrification of the Bournemouth line. There unpowered trailer coaches were run in tandem with powered multiple units but with the unpowered items then hauled west and pushed east by diesels over the then non-electrified line to Poole and Weymouth. Some trains went further, over the street tramway, to the quayside for the Channel/Channel Isles ferries.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 Oct 13 at 11:17

3 locos - Zero
>> Trains are regularly pushed at speeds up to 125mph.

Depends why you mean by pushed. Trains are always DRIVEN from the front when outside the "limit of shunt"

Where the motive power is does not matter and never has.

Weymouth had to have a flagman up front (bacK) when moving from Jersey Sidings to the Quay.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Oct 13 at 12:10

3 locos - Ted

>> Where the motive power is does not matter and never has.
>>

I don't think the people killed in July 1984 at Polmont and 2001 at Great Heck would agree with that.

n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident

Ted

3 locos - Zero
>>
>> >> Where the motive power is does not matter and never has.
>> >>
>>
>> I don't think the people killed in July 1984 at Polmont and 2001 at Great
>> Heck would agree with that.
>>
>> n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident

Blame the cow.

Concorde - Focusless
Nice little piece on BBC website about Concorde, history and anecdotes, and asking whether it's likely to fly again (no).
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24629451

Abandoned Paris Railway - No FM2R
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24655733

Is it just me that had never heard of this?

Abandoned Paris Railway - Zero
not heard of that either, but it is in no way unique. There are lots of abandoned railways, both overgound and underground, complete with huge stations in many cities of the world.

The urban exploration sites on the web are fascinating. Done a bit of "urban ex" myself.

Tangmere - One for Brompy? - Zero
What time is your train home from London on Thursday

Tangmere is on the UP around the same time. you might pass it.

Northampton UML pass 1715 3
Hanslope Jn pass 1728 SL
Milton Keynes Central 1 pass 1734 SL SL
Bletchley 4 pass 1738 SL SL 1
Ledburn Jn pass 1748 SL SL 1
Tring 5 pass 1755 SL SL
Bourne End Jn (Herts) pass 1802 SL SL 5
Watford Junction 9 pass 1816 SL SL
Harrow & Wealdstone pass 1822 SL SL 1
Wembley Central 6 pass 1827
Willesden Sudbury Jn

Tangmere - One for Brompy? - Bromptonaut
I'm usually on the 16:50 so will pass in vicinity of MK. Trains run Down fast to Ledburn where the normally go over to slow so plat 3 @ MK. Probably won't see much as I think there's usually an MK stopper stabled in Plat 2 awaiting it's path back to Euston.

Will watch out for it though. Assume routing via Willesden Sudbury Junction means it's going on towards Southern metals.

>> I'm usually on the 16:50 so will pass in vicinity of MK. Trains run Down
>> fast to Ledburn where the normally go over to slow so plat 3 @ MK.
>> Probably won't see much as I think there's usually an MK stopper stabled in Plat
>> 2 awaiting it's path back to Euston.
>>
>> Will watch out for it though. Assume routing via Willesden Sudbury Junction means it's going
>> on towards Southern metals.

Great Western. Its on its way back to its stable at Southall. Says plat 1 at MK.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 11:11

Its on its way. Just approaching Rugby.

Tangmere - One for Brompy? - Bromptonaut
>> Its on its way. Just approaching Rugby.

I think we crossed it just south of Bletchley. Vague hint of a chime whistle and a short train on the up slow - presumably loco was hauling a couple of support coaches.

WB-57….. - Haywain
I was out washing my wife's car this morning and my attention was caught by a jet-powered aircraft heading in the general direction of Mildenhall. I got some idea of its proportions as it headed away and, from my description (long wings and 'putting me in mind of a Canberra) which wouldn't stand up in a court of law, my mate came up with the suggestion of a WB-57.

jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/aircraftgallery.html

I must say, I reckon that's the one.

Any plane twitchers on here who can verify that it was in Suffolk today?

WB-57….. - Zero
Its possible, it was at Mildenhall this time last year as well.

WB-57….. - henry k
>> Its possible, it was at Mildenhall this time last year as well.
>>
Google wb 57 Mildenhall indicates it has been there and

forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=669288&sid=af410f4412468557afc00d5e7af41037
says " EXP Mildenhall 21 November 2013: NASA WB-57

WB-57….. - Haywain
Thanks, Henry. It looks as though that's what it was!

I'd toddle up to Mildenhall to have a look but you seem to get moved on nowadays especially if the weather's cold and you're wearing a balaclava.

As there are only 2 (possibly only 1?) left in the world, do I qualify for an i-spy badge?

WB-57….. - Zero
>> Thanks, Henry. It looks as though that's what it was!
>>
>> I'd toddle up to Mildenhall to have a look but you seem to get moved
>> on nowadays especially if the weather's cold and you're wearing a balaclava.
>>
>> As there are only 2 (possibly only 1?) left in the world, do I qualify
>> for an i-spy badge?

poor choice of words maybe?

WB-57….. - Haywain
"poor choice of words maybe?"

It's OK, Z, the FBI have been monitoring my e-mails for years and they know I'm not dangerous ;-)

WB-57….. - Fenlander
There are supposed to be two operating from the USA and now they've pulled another out of the desert for a full refurb.

I understand they have been developed for high level air sampling but in truth have been doing other things around the world... in a similar way to our Canberra which they are based on... which was also doing "other things" until its retirement.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 21 Nov 13 at 19:37

Tangmere Again? - Bromptonaut
Rake of 'West Coast' coaches sitting at Willesden this morning with a 47 at north end a steamer at south.

Looked like a Southern design probably BoB class. No doubt Zero can give C&V on what and where it was going.

Tangmere Again? - Zero
Quite a story behind this. It shouldn't be there. Timeline goes like this.

Friday it went down to Weymouth, Saturday morning it came up to London heading the Capital Christmas Express Tour with the spare class 47 diesel "County of Essex" on the back.

Saturday Evening, it rushes back down from Waterloo to Swanage, on the return, failing spectacularly, just outside Winchester. The outside connecting rod came off, shorting out and ripping the third rail on the down slow and burying the connecting rod in the ballast on the down fast. NR engineers came out, and after much pondering the trains was pushed into Basingstoke, and the NR engineers set to repairing the track. The connecting rod was thrown into the support coach, and the whole lot was pushed into Basingstoke some two hours late. South West Trains held a service there to collect the detrained passengers and carry them onto Weymouth.

Tangmere was then lashed up and the empty train was then hauled back in the early hours of Saturday morning to Acton, where you saw it today. Not sure what the next step is, probably back to Southall.

Not sure if there will be a RAIB investigation, but back in the 50s an engine like tangmere lost a rod, it dug into the ballast and the whole train was derailed.

I was probably the last person to film it before 30 minutes before it failed, and you can hear a distinct noise. Tangmere is always a "clanky" engine, but this is different.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdUsjmp8oE

Tangmere Again? - Mapmaker
www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Settle1960.pdf

This one?

Tangmere Again? - Zero
The very same. I see it wasn't a BoB class, but a 7MT Britannia.

Tangmere Again? - commerdriver
On a brighter note saw Bittern sitting outside the NRM this morning, looking very good in the morning sunshine, probably something to do with the upcoming high speed runs.
Didn't have a camera ready unfortunately

Tangmere Again? - Focusless
>> www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Settle1960.pdf
>>
>> This one?

Some fascinating reading there.

Looks like there was a pretty thorough search of the track - one nut and bolt found 32 miles from the scene of the accident (section 17).
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 13:12

Tangmere Again? - Mapmaker
>>Looks like there was a pretty thorough search of the track - one nut and bolt found 32 miles from the scene of the accident (section 17).

That was what struck me. And we think that painstaking accident investigation (closure of motorways for hours at a time) is a new thing.

Tangmere Again? - Zero
>> >>Looks like there was a pretty thorough search of the track - one nut and
>> bolt found 32 miles from the scene of the accident (section 17).
>>
>> That was what struck me. And we think that painstaking accident investigation (closure of motorways
>> for hours at a time) is a new thing.

painstaking accident investigation takes second place to getting the track open. Those parts would have been found on a live working railway, as that particular mess was cleared up and the railway open 14 hours later.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 17:02
 U S A joined up.... - Ted

Here's a nice little documentary wot I found.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2A2NEaRqg

Ted

Moving house - Zero
I am moving here...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25100746

Moving house - Dog
I'll have the owse and you can have the choo choo.

Moving house - Armel Coussine
There were two ways of getting from Bath to Bristol by train: by express, Bath Spa to Temple Meads in 20 minutes or so, and a local train, sometimes one of those GWR brown and cream modernist thirties railcars or 'motor trains' as we called them, which stopped everywhere including Mangotsfield... can't remember though whether North Mangotsfield was on that line or some other. This country used to have a comprehensive rail network. Never passed mangotsfield by road and have no idea what sort of a place it is. It seemed to be a rail siding really.

There were a lot of stations going cheap in the post-Beeching years, and I briefly fancied trying to buy one. I thought the space between the platforms could easily be turned into an agreeable swimming pool. However the thought of the thousands and the years that it would take to turn a station into a decent house deterred me. Too lazy.

Moving house - Duncan
>> I am moving here...
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25100746
>>

So, there is a God!

Latest Forum Posts