Non-motoring > Murray - done it at last Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 101

Murray - done it at last - Zero
It was a given mind, I am wearing my lucky Gamesmaker shirt I was wearing when he won the gold medal at the games. He had a wobble when I dropped some of my choc ice down it tho.
 Murray - done it at last - Runfer D'Hills
Three cheers for the plucky Scot !!

;-)
 Murray - done it at last - Old Navy
Well done, Andy.

Did anyone notice how quickly the TV was cut away from Eck the Ego (Salmond) when he picked up the Scottish flag. :-)
 Murray - done it at last - WillDeBeest
Yes, the lad done good. Djokovic's generosity in defeat was splendid too: seemed genuinely pleased to be part of a big occasion. Mrs Beest: "I want to take him home to my mum."
 Murray - done it at last - Old Navy
>> Did anyone notice how quickly the TV was cut away from Eck the Ego (Salmond)
>> when he picked up the Scottish flag. :-)
>>

The Mail caught it though.

tinyurl.com/lvyegvu
 Murray - done it at last - Robin O'Reliant
>> Three cheers for the plucky Scot !!
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Don't be silly Humph, it was a British success. He's only a Scot when he loses.
Yeah fair enough, I see the English guy got beaten in the Grand Prix today by the way...

;-)
 Murray - done it at last - Lygonos
These days I must say I can't remember the last time one of the Scots sportsmen hasn't been referred to as Scottish rather than British (or God forbid English)... be it Murray, Hoy... um I think that's them all ;-)
 Murray - done it at last - R.P.
And the Lions' team as Welsh ?
Kiwi Coach......
 Murray - done it at last - PhilW
"And the Lions' team as Welsh ? "

RP, as an Englishman, and to cut a long story short!! I thought that, on watching the game for a third time on youtube (with Aussie commentary instead of Fatboy Barnes!) that Halfpenny played the almost perfect game at full back. And I've been watching Geordan Murphy at Tigers for about 15 years - previously voted "best full-back in the world" by me for 15 years!!
Alun-Wyn Jones - previously thought by me to be just a bloke with a very Welsh name was also absolutely magnificent. Roberts and Davies, Hibbard and Jones and the back row guys all brilliant. George North ? He's going to be a problem for English for years to come!!
Mind you, tap-tackle by Tiger Parling, and work by Tiger Old Tom Youngs and Tigers Cole and Manu when they came on also not bad!!
Come to think of it, there were more Tigers players on the pitch at the end than Welsh!!! ;-)
 Murray - done it at last - SteelSpark
>> my lucky Gamesmaker shirt

You should wear it to bed tonight...see if it works on the missus...
not sure a sweaty shirt with chocolate and ice cream down it is much of an aphrodisiac.

Never mind, I thought you said it was a GamesMASTER shirt.

You would definitely have gotten lucky with that, especially if signed by Dominic Diamond.
 Murray - done it at last - corax
Good for him, he deserved it. 40 deg on the centre court. I don't know how they do it. Andy was made to run for a lot of drop shots and still managed to get to them. He looked knackered but somehow managed to keep going. Brilliant.

I think the training has helped - he looks very strong now and seems to be able to cope with the stress, mentally and physically.
Hopefully it will enthuse a new generation.
>> Hopefully it will enthuse a new generation.

Isn't the problem that tennis is seen as a middle class sport and there aren't enough cheap facilities for the less advantaged areas?

Compared to athletics where many kids from poor backgrounds become winners because they have that desire burning in them?

Henman reminds me of this. Nice enough guy but never really had that 'fight' in his character, and never seemed physically up to it. I wonder what it's like for him to be among former Wimbledon champions doing the commentating, knowing that he never achieved the ultimate goal.
 Murray - done it at last - Armel Coussine
He's done it in fairly short order actually, not 'at last'.

Djokovitch came across as a more rounded and complete human being. But that's not what this stuff is really about is it?

I was pleased that Murray won. So was everyone else including Djokovitch apparently, almost. These are emotional occasions.
 Murray - done it at last - FocalPoint
"Djokovitch..."

Djokovic, actually. Pronounced "Dyokovits".

It riles me that no-one in the media can pronounce it right, but, then, the English have never been good at foreign languages and usually don't even bother to make an effort.

Pedant - moi?
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 7 Jul 13 at 22:25
"Djokovic, actually. Pronounced "Dyokovits"
It riles me that no-one in the media can pronounce it right, but, then, the English have never been good at foreign languages and usually don't even bother to make an effort.
Pedant - moi? "

Yep, pedant - you expect me to speak Serbian (or is it Serbo-Croat?)?
I suppose you can pronounce perfectly all the names of those Chinese/Japanese/ Greek/ French/German/ Swedish/ Norwegian/ Swiss/ Spanish/Indian/Russian players?
And what if they are French with a Serbo /Croat name and grew up in France or Germany? Wonder how they say it?
Djockovitch didn't seem to mind how his name was pronounced. And I don't suppose Murray minded too much how his name was pronounced in all those countries round the world that viewed his victory.
And in the moment of his loss, I don't suppose Jiockovits did either.
My Mrs name is Heather - there ain't anyone in mainland Europe who can pronounce the "th" in the middle of her name.
She ain't bothered.
You need to focus on a different point.
You almost sound cross.
"You almost sound cross"
Well maybe, but then you said
"It riles me that no-one in the media can pronounce it right, but, then, the English have never been good at foreign languages and usually don't even bother to make an effort."
Sounded like you were even more cross, at least I wasn't "riled".
Reminds me of when I was I was in Finland about 50 years ago and I said "HelSINKi" and they told me they always stress the first syllable so it should be HELsinki or LADoga not LaDOGa.
So, I tried to make the effort unlike "the English (who) have never been good at foreign languages and usually don't even bother to make an effort."
Many of us do - and we try to speak the lingo when we visit their countries - even Serbo -Croat, difficult though it is.
A bientot/ auf wiedersehen/ nighty nighty.
;-)
Phil - glad you were able to lighten up.

My comment was light-hearted - hence the self-mockery of the pedant reference - but there is a serious point. I'm not concerned about people like your good self, who obviously make an effort with strange languages, but more with the likes of the BBC, who have (or used to have) a pronunciation unit. As all the sounds in the correct pronunciation of Djokovic are easily produced by English speakers, it just strikes me that it would be easy to get it right, if anyone actually took a bit of trouble.

Dobranoc.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 00:11
 Murray - done it at last - WillDeBeest
I can't argue with you on pronunciation, FP, but isn't the spelling a matter of transliteration from the Cyrillic? Conventions vary, I know, and change over time - hence 'Czar' giving way to 'Tsar' - but the BBC is usually pretty thorough on these matters and 'Djokovic' was good enough for them today.
 Murray - done it at last - Alanovich
>> "Djokovitch..."
>>
>> Djokovic, actually. Pronounced "Dyokovits".

Hate to disagree with teach, but I am going to. Djokovic should be pronounced Jokovich, stress on the first syllable. The "Dj" is an Anglicisation of a letter in the latin version of the Serbo-Croat alphabet which doesn't exist in the English version. Correctly written in Serbo-Croat his name is"Đoković" - the first letter being pronounced like the "J" in the English word "juice". The last letter, the "ć" is slightly trickier, and is a bit like the "t" in the English word "tune", but it tends very much towards a "ch" (as in English, "church") but isn't quite so harsh.

Živeli to one and all, and especially to Andy Murray.
Reckon you're right - over the ć at least. I was thinking it was plain c.
At the risk of pursuing the pedantry in to a very dark corner, I'd probably have to insist that the "Dj" bit is correct as well. In the original, his name starts with a "Đ", the "j" is added in English to cover the sound in the nearest possible way for a letter which doesn't exist in our alphabet, to distinguish it from "D". The sound is much like "j" in juice rather than our "y".

But I am speaking of the mainly eastern "ekavski" variant of the language, perhaps your understanding comes from one of the other variants, in which I am admittedly rather rusty. It's been a while since I sat my exams in comparative slavonic philology!
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 14:35
whats ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz in slav?
It's the noise I make when somebody says "choo choo train".
whats choo choo train in slav?
There is no language called "Slav". There is a group of languages referred to as Slavic, which includes Russian, Polish and other Eastern European languages, as well as the languages of the Balkans. All are very closely related - more so than those in most other language groups.

When SWMBO (who is Polish) met some people from the Czech Republic in Cornwall last year they basically understood one another.
whats choo choo train in slavIC
I'd like to help, Z, but sadly my dissertation on slavic philology was based on vegetation, not transport.

Across the languages I speak properly, there's a lot of variation, and, what with it being a relatively modern word, a pan-slavic word for train is non-existent. I doubt Cyril, Methodius, or any other speaker of Old Church Slavonic would have had much need for one. Which would render a dissertation on modern transport media pretty much pointless in the field of slavonic philology, which needs to consider a couple of thousand years of development, hence my choice of vegetable food stuffs for my dissertation.

Gone to sleepy byes yet, Z? Is this better than counting sheep for you (trains in my case)?

;-)
You speak vegetable?
I speak to vegetables, obviously, yes.

;-)
 Murray - done it at last - rtj70
Steam train in Polish is (apparently): pociąg parowy.

In Serbian: паре воз

In Croatian: parni vlak

In Russian: паровозе
In Ukrainian: паровозі

So the Serbian, Russian and Ukrainian are very similar.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 16:14
The modern Russian for train is поезд.
hasn't quite got the same ring as "choo choo" has it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 16:20
 Murray - done it at last - Roger.
>> whats ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz in slav?
>>

For the first time - LOL :-)
 Murray - done it at last - BobbyG
Am pretty sure the two of them are the best of pals and Murray was his best man?
>> Am pretty sure the two of them are the best of pals and Murray was
>> his best man?
>>

They are 7 days apart in age (Murray older), and became firm friends years ago whilst on the junior tour. In recent years, Murray has stated that they have amicably agreed to "cool" their friendship whilst they are sharing the peak of the men's game, as it would be difficult to compete against each other otherwise. He has expressed a desire that they should resume their friendship once they retire from the professional game. I'm sure Novak will be very pleased for Andy in the fulness of time, and in fact probably is already. He seems to be a wise young man and a thoroughly decent sport. He's a wonderful ambassador for Serbia after the decades of bad press they've had, much of it for good reason.
 Murray - done it at last - Stuartli
>> Good for him, he deserved it. 40 deg on the centre court. I don't know>>

Are you seriously trying to kid us that it was 104 dgrees F on the Centre Court...?

30 degrees C was the figure I saw.
>> Are you seriously trying to kid us that it was 104 dgrees F on the
>> Centre Court...?

Only going by the commentator.

>> 30 degrees C was the figure I saw.

oh well, that makes it easy then.
>> >> Good for him, he deserved it. 40 deg on the centre court. I don't
>> know>>
>>
>> Are you seriously trying to kid us that it was 104 dgrees F on the
>> Centre Court...?
>>
>> 30 degrees C was the figure I saw.

Thats the official meteorological measurement, ie in the shade. Both the players were in the sun most of the time. 40c was about right in those circumstances.
 Murray - done it at last - helicopter
Great game

My man of the match after Halfpenny was Corbisiero....try scorer within 80 seconds and rampant in the scrum and loose play.....

....and of course the referee who refereed the scrum correctly.

Murray - done it at last - Haywain
Huh .......... I'll not forget where I was when Murray won Wimbledon!......................

After 18 months of lousy weather, and 77 years since a British mens champion, my wife thought it was a safe bet to to book for two seats at the Picture House for 'Twelfth Night' from the Globe ....... at 4pm on a July Sunday afternoon.

What should I do, my inner Scotsman was torn between staying to watch Andy - or throw £26 for the tickets down the drain. The mean streak won! I don't know Twelfth Night, though my wife told me it was an excellent production. All parts were played by men, as per the original, though I found it somewhat confusing when you had a man dressed as a woman dressing up as a man. I should have done my homework first.
Twelfth Night - what a lovely play. Er... yes, you probably should have done some homework! I hope the experience hasn't put you off!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 7 Jul 13 at 22:28
 Murray - done it at last - legacylad
This Twelfth Night thing. Is there now a play about taking down your xmas decs whilst cross dressing? Funny old world.
not at all, cross dressing plays around christmas have been a staple of britishness for ever. The panto
 Murray - done it at last - Ambo

>> when he picked up the Scottish flag.

Quel con!
BBC web site.

Andy Murray deserves knighthood - David Cameron

Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood after becoming the first Briton to win the Wimbledon men's singles since 1936.
Murray won the title with a 6-4 7-5 6-4 triumph against world number one Novak Djokovic on Sunday.
"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.

Oh per lease, thats taking the ruddy adulation far too far. If he gets one I am sending mine back.
 Murray - done it at last - Manatee
Pukeworthy to see Cameron so transparently trying to ride the bandwagon.

The time to give Murray a Sir is when he retires, to crown his achievements, shirley?
"Pukeworthy"

+1

Great performance but.......

These guys get medals, trophies, adoration and, quite a bit of cash ................. what more do they need???

Honours should be dished out after years of 'putting something back'; no one should realistically qualify before they reach the age of, say, 50.
 Murray - done it at last - DP
Salmond and Cameron squabbling over the reflected glory in the news this morning. Pair of sycophants.

Shoot them both.
>> "Pukeworthy"
>>
>> +1

+1

So the guy is good at tennis. He's just lucky that we arbitrarily hold tennis in high regard.

Now let's hope that all of the kids get starry eyed and motivated to all win Wimbledon, rather than focusing on that boring science and maths stuff.

Mr. James Chadwick, Mr. Charles Darwin, Mr. Francis Crick...Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Chris Hoy, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Sir Andy Murray...

Jeez

>> "Pukeworthy"
>>
>> +1

>> +1

Tsk! Feeling a bit delicate today are we girls?

I suggest you all lie down in darkened rooms, with a big basin to hand in case you think of something pukeworthy. Clearly your dawning awareness of what has in fact been bog standard (ooh, sorry, think of fluffy kittens and moisturizer) behaviour by politicians for donkey's years has been a shock to you. Perhaps you are menstruating as well.

Perhaps if you had kept yourselves better informed you wouldn't have suffered this blow. Let it be a lesson to you. Tchah!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 15:09
Fortunately I have a strong stomach. They just make me tetchy, rather than retchy. Not for want of them trying.
This will aid your digestive tract not one little bit.

Breaking news c/o BBC

Andy Murray has arrived at number 10 Downing Street, to rapturous applause from the staff of the Prime Minister's office.

He shakes hands with Prime Minister David Cameron on the steps outside number 10, before joining a reception hosted by the Prime Minister in the Downing Street garden.
I can just picture Alex Salmond shinning up a drain pipe at the back with a saltire round his neck. Then again, I'm sure he was invited..............
That's done it. I need some fresh air.
pass the BiSoDol someone.....
And bring in an emergency crate of Always Extra.
"Clearly your dawning awareness of what has in fact been bog standard (ooh, sorry, think of fluffy kittens and moisturizer) behaviour by politicians for donkey's years has been a shock to you."

No shock, AC, I've been feeling sick ever since Blair started throwing honours around like confetti.
For honours to be honoured they need to be handed out sparingly and certainly not for simply doing one's job, for which one is rewarded by money. (In the case of many sports-people & entertainers VERY handsomely.)
>> feeling sick ever since Blair started throwing honours around like confetti.

You're all so young somehow... cynical, opportunist, shameless self-promotion by politicians dates from back in the mists of time, not from some recent politico you happen not to like.

There's something faux naif about all these expressions of shock and horror, especially when some of the same people are given to equally exaggerated moral denunciations of politicians in general.

That's why I am teasing people by suggesting they are a bit barmy because they've got the curse.
>>There's something faux naif about all these expressions of shock and horror, especially when some of the same people are given to equally exaggerated moral denunciations of politicians in general.

Oh, absolutely.

What grates is the insulting transparency. I once suggested Cameron wasn't very bright, and was pulled up - rightly, he is highly intelligent. But his judgment is terrible, and he has no touch at all.
Yep - he's an Eton Mess :-)
>> he has no touch at all.

Doesn't seem to have much. But I wasn't defending the PM. I was just saying, you've all seen this stuff many times before, isn't the indignation a bit overdone? It's what they're like. Survival characteristics.
Caught snatches of the Murray documentary on BBC1 tonight. Decent bloke it seems.
I didn't watch it, but I am given to understand that he has donated his Wimbledon winnings to Royal Marsden. Did they mention that in the documentary? I think I'll have a look, see if it's on iPlayer.
whilst that is a noble gesture - Its 1.6 million - and I in no way wish to denigrate it, it has to put against the backdrop of the main prize of winning wimbledon. About 100 million in sponsorship deals.

>>it has to put against the backdrop of the main
>> prize of winning wimbledon. About 100 million in sponsorship deals.

It would certainly make me more sympathetic to the 'Sir' since I am pretty sure that's not why he's done it, assuming he has.

Actually I suspect the real prize to him is just winning it.

I hope he doesn't go too corporate. I like these grumpy types, Raikonnen is my favourite.
>> I hope he doesn't go too corporate. I like these grumpy types, Raikonnen is my
>> favourite.
>>

Same here.

>> whilst that is a noble gesture - Its 1.6 million - and I in no way wish to denigrate it, it has to put against the backdrop of the main prize of winning wimbledon. About 100 million in sponsorship deals. >>

...which presumably will be set up by his agent who takes his cut, plus HMRC's desire to get their hands on some of it (!)...?

Not many are fortunate enough to win the Wimbledon men's title - they deserve the rewards.
>> >> whilst that is a noble gesture - Its 1.6 million - and I in
>> no way wish to denigrate it, it has to put against the backdrop of the
>> main prize of winning wimbledon. About 100 million in sponsorship deals. >>
>>
>> ...which presumably will be set up by his agent who takes his cut, plus HMRC's
>> desire to get their hands on some of it (!)...?

I would guess the sponsor ship deals are set up to "murray inc, c/o cayman islands" I doubt he is resident enough in the uk to pay tax on earnings abroad. The Wimbledon prize money would have been taxed.
He lives near Wimbledon.
yes but for how many months of the year?
That would be hard to say, given the fact he's mostly working abroad. But I believe London is his only permanent home.

Not that it's any of our business, really. I know he's been seen at Craven Cottage often as he lives not too far away.
I know he's been seen at Craven Cottage often as he lives not too far away.
>>

He likes to get away from the crowds now and again.
I knew they were struggling in the transfer market.
HAs he been photographed next to the statue of MJ?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 11:50
>> HAs he been photographed next to the statue of MJ?

Jackson comments are rather ironic from a bubbles blower.
>> He likes to get away from the crowds now and again.

He'd have to be a time traveller to achieve that nowadays. Or stay on the bus to Loftus Road.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 12:03
 Murray - done it at last - Boxsterboy
>> He lives near Wimbledon.
>>

Actually he lives in Oxshott, Surrey. Which could be 'near Wimbledon', depending on how far you have come.
Yes, that's the place. It's pretty close but I wouldn't want to walk it.
He's nearer to my place than Wimbledon. I'll invite him round for a barbie.
...and a game of ping pong?
nah that game where the ball is on a rope attached to a pole, whatsit called?
Swingball, he'll be good at that but you'd better keep your head down when he's hit it.
>> I would guess the sponsor ship deals are set up to "murray inc, c/o cayman islands" I doubt he is resident enough in the uk to pay tax on earnings abroad. The Wimbledon prize money would have been taxed. >>

My daughter lives in the Cayman Islands. The tales she relays about the corruption there amongst those who are supposed to look after the islands' residents' interests would make your hair curl (if you have any that is!!!)
This was a rumour that did the rounds but wasn't true.

Think it came on the back of him donating previous winnings to the place his friend was being treated. It was a believable story which actually says a lot about Murray.
After Wimbledon Murray must be minted.
He'll certainly be Werther bit.
He could afford a polo pony or two.
He put in an extra strong performance to beat Djokovic.
>> He could afford a polo pony or two.

A hole one for sure.
Before Wimbledon this year, Murray had already earned and won a lot. His career earnings are probably around $30m and probably more. Sponsorship of say £8m per annum..... he's about to get a lot richer.

I think he deserves it more than some of the footballers on high salaries.
He's a real athlete Rob. Not a ninety minute wonder.
Don't start meon overpaid sportsmen, attended my first ever Baseball game last night!

Absolute yawnfest!!!
>> He's a real athlete Rob. Not a ninety minute wonder.

He's worked hard over recent years to get where he is. He had the talent from years ago. Now he has the athletic ability. Some of the returns in this final (and the US Open which was amazing) were brilliant. If you weren't playing Murray you'd think you'd got the point... but he'd not only get to the ball but return in and potentially win the point.

He certainly is an amazing athlete.
 Murray - done it at last - Pat
All we heard at the weekend was the first |British winner for 70 something years.

What about Virginia Wade?

Pat
Was a woman, dont count.
 Murray - done it at last - helicopter
Don't forget that his brother Jamie was a winner in the mixed doubles only a couple of years ago ........so two Wimbledon winners in the same family.
Latest Forum Posts