Non-motoring > City centre violence - why invent problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 27

City centre violence - why invent problems - RattleandSmoke
menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1241224_top_judge_boozefuelled_chaos_blights_city

I go out to Manchester nearly every weekend and go out clubbing, I drink a lot but don't get trashed, and don't drink so much so I can't remember what happened the night before.

I've never seen any figtrs, only once (out of about 300 or more times) had any issues with *drunks* and that person was actually sober, he was off his head with cocaine.

I am worried this government will do too much to solve a problem which dosn't entirely exist and will spoil good nights out for those that go out for the music and the dancing.

I am sure there are some rough pubs in the city centre, I avoid certain parts of the city centre at weekends such as the printworks and deansgate locks.

I do think there needs to be something done about cheap supermarket booze though, because its unregulated and too many kids are drinking it. When a pint of beer is half the price of a pint of coke in the supermarket there is a problem.

The other thing I would like to see is much cheaper soft drinks in bars and pubs, especialy clubs. Sometimes if I am out drinking towards 2:00am I may prefer a software drink but because the booze is cheaper I tend to just buy more booze.

I just worry how far the government will go in banning a good night out. The last time the tories were in Greater Manchester police had an Anderson who if accounts are correct tried to ban nightlife.

I just think the govenment need to realise there is a big difference between music fans like myself who like a drink, than to people that go out with the aim of getting drunk. Don't get me wrong I go out to get drunk and forget about things, but I don't go out to cause trouble.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Bigtee
In 10 years you will be drinking at home the wife will be up the duff and you can't afford to drink every weekend in the pubs and nightclubs of manchester and then what the price was put up at supermarkets to a stupid amount.

These "kids" can't buy it from a supermarket at Asda they do ask for id but are getting it from a off license's not all of them but some do.

It's the parents of these kids that want punishing for letting there kids do as they like, it's unfair to punish us who like to drink at home and have the bbq a few friends round.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - L'escargot
>> .......... I go out to get drunk and
>> forget about things, .........

Take the "Are you drinking too much?" test. www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Alcoholcalculator.aspx?Tag=
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not anti drink but I am very much anti drunkeness. Our town centre is a very unpleasant place to be after 9.00 pm at weekends. Not sure what can be done about it though.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 27 May 10 at 13:59
More police on the streets but let them drink it's there right to have a good time and be sick afterwards we have all done it you can't stop it better to let them.

It's not the supermarket booze though is it it's pubs and nightclubs more coppers when they see them they behave.

City centre violence - why invent problems - Runfer D'Hills
>> we have all done it you can't stop it

Well no, not really actually. From our teens through to our late thirties I and my immediate circle of friends were always in training for something or other. Getting drunk to the point of throwing up wouldn't really have helped a lot with that. It's not that we didn't drink or party, there was in fact quite a lot of that but we just didn't do it to the point of oblivion which seems to be the primary objective of some for reasons I find hard to comprehend. Drinkers can be fun, drunks rarely are.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - FotheringtonTomas
>> Take the "Are you drinking too much?" test.

I tried that, but after a couple of answers the screen went blank.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - John H
any difference between "don't drink so much so I can't remember" and "I go out to get drunk and forget about things"?

>>
>> I go out to Manchester nearly every weekend and go out clubbing, I drink a
>> lot but don't get trashed, and don't drink so much so I can't remember what
>> happened the night before.
>>

contradicted by

>> fans like myself who like a drink, than to people that go out with the
>> aim of getting drunk. Don't get me wrong I go out to get drunk and
>> forget about things, but I don't go out to cause trouble.
>>
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Armel Coussine
Leave the poor fellow alone JH. Can't you see he's ratted?
There is a big difference. You can get so drunk you don't know what you're doing, you can't walk properly etc. I only get drunk to the point of typsy, I am too drunk to drive a motor car, but I am perfectly capable of getting a bus back on my own.

I am just worried the government will do too much to 'clamp down' and spoil the good nights for the rest of us.

I work seven days a week so the few hours I get on the dance floor is the only time I truly unwind apart from the few short breaks I go on.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Bromptonaut
The lawyers in here may comment further but a former stipendiary magistrate, however senior in his own district, is not a 'top judge'.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - CGNorwich

Rattle

You are always worrying. Calm down, have a drink.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - John H
>>
>> Rattle
>>
>> You are always worrying. Calm down, have a drink.
>>

or two, and make those stiff ones. and get us all a round in while you are there.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Clk Sec
>>and get us all a round in while you are there.

These virtual drinks aren't really up to much!
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Boxsterboy
The problem is that alcohol makes some people very aggresive, whilst it sends others to sleep.

Somehow we need to stop the ones who get aggresive from getting drunk. Life would be so much enjoyable then.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - FotheringtonTomas
>> I only get drunk to the point of typsy
Being tipsy isn't drunk.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Pat
But I've never met a drunk who believes he IS drunk!

Pat
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Badwolf
>> But I've never met a drunk who believes he IS drunk!
>>
>> Pat

I'm quite happy to admit when I get too squiffy, and am now old enough and sensible enough to know when that is happening and either switch to soft drinks or stop completely. Hangovers that would once have been vanquished with a cup of coffee and a bacon butty now have the potential to cause me serious bother for at least a day so it's just not worth getting paralytic.

Southport town centre is not a nice place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. This, of course, is a sweeping generalsation but it does seem to be full of younger people off their heads on cheap booze (or illegal, but widely available substances). Myself and Mrs B rarely go out into town at the weekend now, much preferring the pubs and bars of Birkdale, nearer to where we live. If we do venture into town for a meal then we tend to frequent only one bar which has an older, more relaxed clientele who go there for the convivial atmosphere and good beer rather than with the express intention of drinking so much that they forget who they are.

I really do not know what the solution to this may be and it will take a brave and strong Government to take the action required. I do worry very much about this as my brother has just qualified as an Emergency Medical Technician (as Ambulance Men are called these days) and it concerns me greatly that he will be exposed to the violence and drunkeness on a weekend night.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Sun 30 May 10 at 07:07
 City centre violence - why invent problems - MD
>> I really do not know what the solution to this may be and it will
>> take a brave and strong Government to take the action required.

Education education education.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - SteelSpark
You must go to nicer places than I used to Rattle! :) That, or things are better than they used to be.

I have only been out in Manchester a few times, but I can remember witnessing a handful of fights on those outings. Nothing too serious, just punch-ups with nobody really hurt, but fights nonetheless.
It has improved a lot since the bad old days I believe. I find it a nicer place to go out than it was even eight years ago or so. The demographics of the city centre has changed massively though. A lot of people out now are the well off city dwellers, back in the old days a lot of people in town were just the scum.

The sorrounding towns a lot worse, Oldham is as bad as it has ever been and places like Stockport can be no go areas at weekend.
 City centre violence - why invent problems - L'escargot
In my (moderately) heavy drinking days in the 1960's there was never any violence. What's happened in the intervening years to cause all the current problems? Have moral standards dropped and, if so, why?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 28 May 10 at 13:56
Have moral standards dropped and, if so, why?

No stella artois found it's way to the pump they don't call it wife beat her for nothing!
That could be a point, the strength of beer has been increasing. I am not sure about the 1960's but I guess you went to a pub and said:0-

Can I have a pint of bitter please
Or a pint or larger

The beer you got was from the brewery and probably about 3.5% maybe if you were lucky you could get the export at 5%.

Now most bars have so much choice and a good half of the beer is over 5% in volume.

Its so fefreshing going into Samual Smiths or Joeseph Holt pubs because they have plenty of >4% beer on tap, you can drink all night without the hangover the next day.

Most modern pubcos though only sell all the usual Fosters, Carling, Export, Stella etc.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 28 May 10 at 15:55
 City centre violence - why invent problems - Bagpuss
I love the stories at the end of that article about the women who've been locked up for fighting. Clearly one thing that's not changed in Manchester since I lived there in the mid-80s is the prevailance of women who get tanked up at the weekend and then start fighting with oneanother. A phenomenon I've not seen anywhere else. Well, apart from Oldham and Bury obviously.
Oldham is just another matter. Never been to Bury in the evening so I can't comment, but I do my mates from valley (Rossendale) always come into Manchester and avoid Bury like the plague.

City centre violence - why invent problems - Bagpuss
I used to go out with someone from Bury so went there a few times - that's dedication for you. I went to Oldham in the 80s a few times to watch the football. Oldham were in Division 2 at the time and the football stadium was in area that looked like a bombsite. Generally the fighting in the terraces was more interesting than the match.

I do out in Manchester now and again these days as my brother lives near Chorlton. The place looks a bit more upmarket than it did 25 years ago. Watching Life on Mars brought the memories of Manchester flooding back, even though it was set in the 70s not the 80s.
Had a bit a mamouth weekend on the old beer and again nothing but wonderful people. Spent both nights in two different clubs and not a single hint of violence anywhere.

I probably do only go to the safe bars and clubs (e.g rock and indie ones) so maybe that is why I don't see the so called rough parts.

Chorlton Cum Hardy want a dump your brother lives near me :) Its full of scruffy Panda driving drunks (not at the same time though!)

I just wish these judges etc would go on a night out with me, I will show them that not every person is out for a big punch up! That said there are parts of Manchester I avoid at weekends, the Printworks and Piccidilly being obvious examples.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 30 May 10 at 02:56
Latest Forum Posts