Non-motoring > Americanisation of TV commercials Miscellaneous
Thread Author: .... Replies: 28

Americanisation of TV commercials - ....
Have I just witnessed my first "American" TV commercial in the UK ?

I've just watched a dishwater tablet advert which basically said we are much better than "Fairy". I've seen a lot of American TV adverts which bad mouth the competition but until tonight I thought the UK was better than this. I thought, maybe wrongly, that the advertising standards agency ensured companies said this is what we make, this is what it can do, over to you, do you want to buy it?

Slippery slop, saying we are better than brand x, y & z. Next thing is we'll have radio ads for 30 secs. which contains 29.9 secs of repeated 0800 nnnnnn messages which, from American radio, really get on my wick.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - L'escargot
The use of American accents is creeping into TV adverts. Eugh!
 Americanisation of TV commercials - -
I doubt the likes of the majority here would be influenced in any way by an advert, quite the opposite in my own case (and i suspect many others) in that if an advert is crass bad or boring enough to make me switch channels, which some are, then i will never ever buy anything from the company concerened....Go Compare being a good example if not Americanised but many others.

Advertisers go for the easily influenced, the badge or fashion concious and those unable or unwilling to search out what they want, the majority of ads appear aimed at juveniles, age immaterial.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Fullchat
Having had a couple of 2 week holidays in Florida over the last 6 years and watched some TV in the evenings, I can truly say that their advertisments are appalling. It is almost a pleasure to come home and watch our own.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Roger.
As I mostly hear TV sound thru' earphones I just take them off during the adverts!
There is a handy mute button on the TV remote, but my feed comes straight from the Humax box. I could decrease its volume, I suppose, although that would lower the TV volume too, which *She* might take amiss.
Still, it's nice to ventilate one's lugs from time to time.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - smokie
I pretty much only watch recorded content these days so I can skip thru ads (Virgin TiVo). If I want to watch something "live" on a commercial channel I record it anyway, and start watching the recording about 10 mins after the show starts.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Crankcase
Indeed. The audience for tv ads must bet declining fast. Either people don't watch straight tv as it's broadcast, or are watching other sources. As others, we almost never watch tv as its broadcast, and even if we do we mute the ads and chat or read for five minutes.

Not really seen an ad with the sound for many years now.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Armel Coussine
I'm not really convinced by people who have TVs but claim never to see TV ads, even less by those who claim they are not influenced by advertising.

Advertising works, slowly and pervasively, to fix awareness of brands and elements of their images in people's unconscious minds, their 'backbrains'. By the same token, it doesn't always work as intended; the most memorable ads may also be a turn-off to the intended targets.

People think they live rational lives in which their choices and decisions are governed by reason. Up to a point, Lord Copper...
 Americanisation of TV commercials - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGok4GbNLEk

This is one of the very few memorable ones - those feline eyes - get you every time.....man maths time.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Zero
Think bubble

"Gee, Gmac never complains about TV ads at home "
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Dog
>>I'm not really convinced by people who have TVs but claim never to see TV ads

I have a TV, but never watch TV ads - *ever*.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Manatee
Advertising works. Persil would have no sales if it didn't.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - spamcan61
>> Advertising works. Persil would have no sales if it didn't.
>>

Agreed it must work on some folk or it wouldn't exist, but I really really honestly can't think of any product or brand I've bought because of advertising in the last 20 years. I buy on specification, price, my own past experience and (heavily filtered) user reviews.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Lygonos
Last time I was in the States I see to recall most of the ads were for medicines:

Either treatments for heartburn,or constipation, or for antidepressants "without sexual side-effects".

Pretty fair indictment of the Yankee diet and lifestyle.

Won't be long 'til its the same here.
>> I have a TV, but never watch TV ads - *ever*.

Yeah yeah. Bet you've seen a few over the years though.

It's also worth mentioning Perro that as well as huge amounts of boring dross, you have missed out on some of the most brilliant TV ever made. British TV ads are world-renowned, not without reason.

Still I take your word that you are sternly rational and anti advertising, along with the word of everyone else here making similar claims. A truly exceptional sub-group it seems. Geezers you can't mess with.

Tish, we're the anti heroes.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Dutchie
Some advertisements are funny but I must admit can't remember anything I have bought due to advertising.
I used to watch (and enjoy!) TV adverts years ago Sire, but they tend to go on (and on) for too long these days,
they can even start just 7 minutes after the program has started FFS!

So I now hate them with a vengeance, and now record independent TV programs I want to watch, films mostly,
and ZAP the blimmin ads.
>> TV programs I want to watch, films mostly,
and ZAP the blimmin ads.

I agree really Dog. On many channels they seem to go on for ever, as long cumulatively as the programme or movie it sometimes seems.

I still take an interest in advertising generally, but not a very intensive one these days.

Even the BBC news channel these days seems to be half animated logo with mounting-excitement music/sound effects and only half news.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - henry k
>> It's also worth mentioning Perro that as well as huge amounts of boring dross, you
>> have missed out on some of the most brilliant TV ever made.
>> British TV ads are world-renowned, not without reason.
>>
We record some UK progs and send them to an American friend ( who loves the UK and has visited many many times).
When I said I have not had time to edit out the ads, to my surprise she said " Please leave the ads in as we enjoy them, especially as the USA ones are so poor!"
 Americanisation of TV commercials - smokie
Admittedly I've seen a few ads over the years, but nowadays I see very few. No doubt I miss some rip roaringly funny or otherwise smart ass adverts, but there is nothing Geezer about it, it's just a fact. I'm not especially anti advertising but I like that an hours programme only takes 40 - 45 minutes to watch when you skip the ads.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 30 Jun 13 at 23:13
>> I'm not especially anti advertising but I like that an hours programme only takes 40 - 45 minutes to watch when you skip the ads.

I'm with you really (see post above replying to Dog). Just wanted to assure people that they aren't as wholly impervious to advertising as they think.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - sooty123
>> >>I'm not really convinced by people who have TVs but claim never to see TV
>> ads
>>
>> I have a TV, but never watch TV ads - *ever*.
>>

What not even a part of one, or even as a child?
AC mentioned the State Broadcaster a couple of posts above, thanks AC my blood pressure has just peaked somewhere off the scale.

Just reminded me (as if i needed) of an increasing problem with Radio 2, the diminishing number of presenters i can stand listening to have to constantly play repetitive till the mind is numb ads for other programs or proms in the park or some other flamin festival they are fronting.
The strident overenthusiastic avoid at all costs voice of the girl (presumably one never knows these days) who does these ads is annoying in the extreme and i have to change channels whilst this bilge is being broadcast.

Worse than the banal ads running on independent radio, if thats possible....and whilst i'm on a rant, i wonder if those car makers struggling to find mugs for their second rate white goods realise just how off putting their radio ads are, i can't abide being talked to like an idiot at first glorifying the cloned carp, and when the geezer doing the Gilbert and Sullivan opera singer impression takes over to speed talk the boring subject of actually paying through the nose for the thing...AARRGH!
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 07:19
 Americanisation of TV commercials - madf
When GM launched the Vectra replacement.. they had a commercial with Ed Harris extolling its virtues. For those of an ignorant nature, Mr Harris is an elderly American actor.

So nothing new is happening. GM believe in world advertising... and did so 15 or so years ago...

Aldi , however, use womats or rather koalas if you watch their ads on Neighbours (7pm, 7.15pm, 7,30 pm to avoid watching the show). Al and Di are worth watching - that's the koala's names btw.

"I can see your nuts" is typical of the rather Aussie lines...:-)
S'funny howl we orften Singh from the same hymn sheet gb, I feel we musta known each other in a previous life, like.

I mainly listen to Radio 4 and 5 these daze but, I listen to BBC Radio Cornwall in the after noons being it's a con-sumer moan phone in prog, which can be quite lively (for Cornwall!) at thymes.

But, and it's a BIG butt - they will have these ere blimmin ads for other programs which I find most annoying,
so-much-so, that I turn the wireless orf 'til they've gorn.

Funny ole life though, innit :)
If they're going to use ads anyway they might as well go fully commercial and end the BBC tax, that'd wake a few in the ivory towers up.
 Americanisation of TV commercials - Zero
>> so-much-so, that I turn the wireless orf 'til they've gorn.

How do you know they have gorn? Sounds rather like the "is the light in the fridge off" problem.

You guys, I worry about you all getting het up about trivia like this, I don't think you are equipped to survive life in future years without some major cardiac trauma.

NOw if you were getting irate to the point of inflicting extreme, shocking and horrifying violence on anything or anyone within range because that dumb tart Vanessa Fatz was on the radio, I might have some sympathy with you.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 08:48
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable.”

;)
Latest Forum Posts