Non-motoring > How long before this gets vandalised? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 5

How long before this gets vandalised? - VxFan
Or covered in graffiti?

Brick sofas have been built at a new £70m shopping development in an Oxfordshire town.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-23064170

How long before this gets vandalised? - TeeCee
I can't help thinking that the next time these come up in the news it will be because of someone making a personal injury claim, having flopped heavily into one.
 How long before this gets vandalised? - Haywain
"I can't help thinking that the next time these come up in the news it will be because of someone making a personal injury claim, having flopped heavily into one"

............... or fallen over it whilst texting.
 How long before this gets vandalised? - L'escargot
>> Or covered in graffiti?

It won't long. It's a pity that the police don't have a nationwide policy of zero tolerance. Because so much minor crime goes unpunished nowadays, youngsters don't know where to draw the line between right and wrong or between what is acceptable and what is unacceptable.
 How long before this gets vandalised? - Armel Coussine
I love the sofa though. If it's kept clean people will happily sit on it in warm dry weather.

A weekly council pressure wash will keep it clear of dog crap, cigarette ends and so on. Perhaps a brick coffee table with a brick ashtray on it would be a good idea.
 How long before this gets vandalised? - Haywain
"It's a pity that the police don't have a nationwide policy of zero tolerance.................."

Absolutely agree, L'es. For some misdemeanours, it's difficult to quantify a monetary fine for the crime committed. E.g. if someone is caught speeding - they haven't actually done any damage - so how much is a reasonable fine? It ought to very easy with vandalism when the culprits are caught red-handed......

A few years ago a couple of drunken yobs vandalised a sculpture situated in the river as part of our town's annual festival. The sculpture was ruined; the yobs, who were old enough to know better, were taken down to the police station and given 'instant naughty boy' fines of £85 each and released - presumably to resume their evening's drinking.

This should be easy to calculate, and if I were in charge, the fine would be something like:

£2,000 - for damage to sculpture
£800 (?) - for wasted police time
£500 - for removing work of art from festival

That's around £1600 apiece - not £85!

They would have a choice between paying the fine or picking litter off the verges of the A14 to a corresponding value.
Latest Forum Posts